Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our research here in Oconee County reflects that less than 1/3 of all people who report a firearm as stolen know or can produce the serial number at the time of the theft.
Over the past 30 days, we have been given 3 NCIC hit recoveries on stolen firearms.
One, stolen in 2005 will be returned to the owner. It was recovered in a drug raid in Athens-Clarke Co.
Another, stolen in 2007, was used in a gang gunfight in Atlantic City New Jersey where 4 people were shot. Likelihood of return to the owner, pretty dismal. NJ LEO's tell us we can have it when they are through with it. Who knows when that will be.
The third was used in a local shooting crime. Stolen in May of 2010, the owner has decided that he does NOT want it back considering the manner in which it was used. Of course, he can change his mind.

Point is, without the SRN of the firearm, there is NO hope of recovery.

IF YOU DON"T HAVE YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS, TAKE THE TIME TO GET THEM.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i keep records of the serials on all my guns, except for one.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
I also keep a record of all serial numbers of every firearm I have in a safe place. I also keep photo records of each firearm in a secure file on a USB thumb drive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This brings up a good question. What's the best way/place to store your serial numbers?

I have to admit that this is something I haven't done. I keep thinking that I should do it, but I figure I can put it off for another day. I need to stop doing that and get something down. I'm just not sure where to store it and what all information I should keep. Should I keep pictures along with serial numbers?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I take photos of my guns which are high enough resolution to see the serials. That way I have a photo with serial I can give to law enforcement, and it never hurts to have photos for an insurance claim.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
tmoore912 said:
I also keep a record of all serial numbers of every firearm I have in a safe place. I also keep photo records of each firearm in a secure file on a USB thumb drive.
This. In addition, the photos and receipts are accessible online. I've uploaded them to an image server.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I keep a "Personal Firearms Record" document with photos, serials, descriptions and images of bills of sale or receipts for all my firearms. I keep a physical copy (as it also is my C&R bound book) in a safe at home, a digital copy on a USB drive in a safety deposit box and email the file to a trusted friend every time I update the record.

The MS Word template for the PFR I use can be downloaded here.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Reciepts are kept in the fire safe, digital copy in secure place online.

I could have the info to the police as soon as they sit me in front of a computer.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Two days ago I drove my father-in-law up to Columbia, SC to pick up a revolver that was stollen out of his car in 2001. Fortunately he keeps very good records and still had the serial number and the original bill of sale. The gun had been reovered during the arrest of a drug dealer and was in remarkably good condition for a peice that spent the last ten years in the hands of a criminal. We are still shocked that it was recovered and that they had good enough records to link it back to his theft report from 2001. I had a database of all my firearms with detailed descriptions and pictures. I keep a copy at work in case we were to have a fire at the house.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet with all the make/model/serial# information uploaded to Google Docs so I can access it from anywhere.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have a record of all weapon serial numbers except for the the last purchase...thanks for the reminder Sheriff :righton:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
When I buy a new gun, I write the serial number and purchase date on the cover of the owner's manual, right above the picture on the cover. The owner's manual then goes into the fire safe. If anything happens, I have the picture of the gun, the serial number and purchase date, right there. I don't worry about saving receipts because if I have the date of purchase, I can get copies of receipts from my bank or credit card company.

While we are on the subject, you should also take a minute to empty the contents of your wallet and place them on a photcopier. Keep the paper copy in the fire safe. If something happens and your wallet is missing, it might otherwise be hard to remember which credit cards, ID's, etc were in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i know my carry and backup carry by heart. all others are written in a little nra booklet that i keep at my parents house.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yep, I have a paper copy and plenty of pictures. But, I need to make a digital copy to store in several places.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nullifier said:
I don't worry about saving receipts because if I have the date of purchase, I can get copies of receipts from my bank or credit card company.
How does the bank or credit card company have a sales receipt of something you purchase? And if they did somehow have them for every purchase, would they keep them for an infinite amount of time?

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
With twenty-something serial numbers to keep track of, no, I don't memorize them.

I Do however have them all recorded in a small Excel spreadsheet along with the original cost, any accessories or magazines purchased, and the last date they got a thorough cleaning.
I mail the spreadsheet to myself, an alternate ID, and my brother for safekeeping with instructions not to delete from the server. I use TrueCrypt to encrypt the file with different passwords. My brother's password is the name he was called as a child and that he absolutely hates (so no risk of him accidentally revealing it.)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I thought about keeping a digital copy online somewhere (google docs, email), but I then thought about how the government could [s:1hqdcuwa]steal[/s:1hqdcuwa] intercept it and use it against you in a gun grab.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts