Do you have a trauma kit in your range bag?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by UtiPossidetis, Jul 2, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

After watching 5 ....people at my range the other day with zero understanding of even the most basic of rules, or even manners, it occurred to me that I do not have a trauma kit in my range bag.

Do folks carry a small trauma kit in their range bag? If so, what do you include in the kit?

Thanks.

2. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

4. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

UtiP, was this at at public or private range? Most private ranges require training/orientation.

But, to answer your question, yes, take a trauma kit to the range with you!

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Gun store/Range and the folks dealt with the 5 people but I'm not going to stay on the line and wait.

What do you have in your trauma kit?

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

To be frank, I have no idea how to use it if I had one. Perhaps our various chapters should hold classes on "what to do if someone gets shot". Surely we have people skilled enough do do some train the trainer or a youtube video.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Sounds like a great idea. Basics are staunch the flow, call 911, keep warm, etc. But training would be great that is specific to immediate care for a gun shot wound.

8. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

A tourniquet needs to be in any trauma kit. Relatively inexpensive.

http://darkangelmedical.com/

Doctors urge Americans to learn tourniquet use

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...urge-americans-learn-tourniquet-use/86000754/

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

10. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

It will slow the bleeding, apply pressure to wound.
    Only needs to last until an ambulance gets there.

Unless your going out on your own into the unknown....lol

it was just a glance anyway...i don't have one, but seen a video where a guy was saying it is good to have it.

Didn't extensively look though.

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I bought some of those quick clot pack and other bloodstopper items. I opened them and examined and tested them. They work reasonably well but for most larger caliber gunshot wounds I would be happy with a couple tampons.

They are designed to go into the wound channel and control bleeding and stop excess blood flow. Super clean and nearly sterile when packaged and they can absorb a rather large amount of blood. My edc carry small get home kit (designed for less than 50 mile get home) has 4. If I need more than that, I am already bled out.

Unless you have actually ever taken one from the packaging and examined it, really examined it, you should. Ask your wife for one and if she wonders why tell her I told or dared you to.

Nemo

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I was thinking of adding a 7th generation CAT(Combat Application Tourniquet, C-A-T) from North American Rescue. Are there advantages to the SWAT-T over the CAT?

13. phaed

phaed New Member

nope. there's one in my vehicle though.

14. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

So...here's my 2 cents on trauma kits. I've been in EMS in an urban setting for almost 10 years. We carry tourniquets. I have never used one. I think, this is just my opinion, that they are good when needed. I've run lots and lots of shootings, stabbings, MVCs and I have always been able to control bleeding on an extremity.
    I have seen bystanders (even some police officers) use commercial tourniquets, but on injuries that it did not need a tq. The military study quoted previously, much of their data came from blast injuries (which is a whole different ball game).

As far as combat gauze or quickclot, we don't carry it. Quick clot has exothermic properties and can cause burns and contaminate the wound. Trauma surgeons don't like it. Combat gauze does not cause burns, and is a little better in my opinion. But, if you use either of those, remember just because you stopped the bleeding externally, they are probably still bleeding internally.

With that said, I do carry a tq in my bag. I carry gauze and ACE wraps (for a pressure dressing). Bandaids, gloves, duct tape, alcohol wipes, and a large bore needle for chest decompressions.

If I was way out in the woods or in the middle if no where, I might add combat gauze or the like...

15. phaed

phaed New Member

i've always wondered what medical professionals thought about that stuff. they're the ones that have to deal with it after the fact. i didn't know they could cause burns.

16. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

We had one cop pour it on his calf where he was shot at, he really didn't need it, but what people are taught is "if you're shot, pour this on the wound."
    He ended up having way more surgery than he needed for a simple through and through to the calf...

17. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

I don't stay at a range where people are being unsafe.

Best trauma kit ever.

18. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

As I said previously, that is part of what made me realize I didn't have one. I left, but how able are we to monitor the actions of every other shooter on the line while we are shooting?

I've noticed that I stand back and watch new shooters FAR more than anyone else I have observed at my range. Still, I know that I could miss something along the way.

Accidents are often unpredictable events and hence my adding a trauma kit to my range bag.

19. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I would agree with you there, however.....even safe minded people can have an accident.

How are you going to leave before that happens?

20. Darklock

Darklock Member

I carry two CAT tourniquets, chest seal, s-rolled gauze (for wound packing),nasal airway,Israeli bandage,sterile 4x4s, gauze, gloves,& trauma shears. No quikclot, for the same reason as stated above.