Do you have a C&R?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Cavediver, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not yet, but I'm planning on getting one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's a C&R?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Just curious how many people have applied for a Curio & Relic license

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wow, good timing on the thread. I just was opening up my forms to start to fill them out. Is the only thing required the two copies of the application (one to ATF and one to CLEO)? And, of course, the bound book, when I get the license.

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I'm stupid and lazy. I vaguely know what a C&R license is, but why do you need or want one? Does this get your name on the "go get his weapons" lists when Hillary takes over?

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Thanks for the link... pretty easy process. But I barely understand the why (remember, I'm lazy AND stupid).

Is it just that I need a C&R to buy from dealers, or do I need one to merely possess something on the BATF's list or something 50 years old? What about just buying a C&R weapon from a private party?

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think it's OK from a private party. But if you're buying from a website dealer you can get it shipped straight to you rather than having to do FFL transfer stuff. The C&R is for acquiring the firearm. Once in your possession, it's like another rifle in terms of legal possession. You do have to keep a bound book with all the information of your C&R weapons. You can't engage in regular business (seems loosely defined to me). :ianal: . I'm basically just summarizing what I've read on this site and others. Hope that helps.

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I sent my paperwork to BATFE (along with my $30 check) and my CLEO on July 16. We'll see how long it takes. The check was cashed 3 days later so I know they got the paperwork.

I did think about the "come take my guns" theory for awhile, but I don't think that will happen. If it does, not ALL my guns will be purchased through a C&R anyway.

I want one because I'm getting more and more interested in old military guns. I can get them delivered right to my door, no FFL transfer fee's. I've also heard that some places give C&R holders a "dealer" discount even though it isn't a dealer license.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, some places do give you discounts. Between the GFL and purchases made through FFL holders, your information is already out there. So I guess there's always that potential. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that.

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:cry: My info is indeed out there, dammit.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:(

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

i wanna be in the pity party too... :cry:

11. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

got mine... the process was unremarkable

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

How long start-to-end?

13. merlock

merlock New Member

For me...3 weeks.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not I.

I don't really care for old guns.

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't, but only because finances can't justify it yet. Give me 10 years.

16. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Didn't have a choice for "Used to have one, lapsed because I couldn't renew due to lack of finances..."

:(

17. pro2am

pro2am New Member

$30 bucks for 3 year license. C&R rifles/pistols run between $89-$300+...to me that's inexpensive to avoid other charges like the FFL transfer fee's. But I see what you're saying...this IS an expensive hobby.

18. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

From what I have read, it'll pay for itself within a few orders from Midway or Brownells.
    I'm also interested in a Mosin and/or an SKS, maybe an old school handgun or two. By the time I get two of those transferred, it will have paid for itself.
    I don't really care for registering things with the BATF, but I'm sure they've already got me in a file somewhere...

asbran, Have you figured out which musket was used in The Trooper? :D That would be a neat addition.

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you understand. If I get it, I'll be buying more guns! Without it, I can "just wait until I get my C&R" :D