Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides family and friends I've never been ask "Why are/do you carry a gun". It's always "Who do you work for" and its usually from store clerks. I usually wear blue jeans and T-shirt but I am young and tall with a buzzed hair cut. I always OC usualy in a sepra a Glock 20 or 1911. Anyone else have this happen often? What do you say?

·
Registered
308 Posts
No one has ever asked me, but I was OCing my Glock 19 in the coffee shop where my son works. When I left, a group of customers I was chatting with asked my son if I was a detective. He got a kick out of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was at some big flea market last weekend (or the weekend prior). I forgot what it was called. My friend and I were open carrying, him a XD9SC and myself a Glock 19.

We had two notable interactions. The first was hilarious. A short middle-aged lady with a table. She saw my buddy's XD and just locked on to it. COMPLETE tunnelvision. She wouldn't take her eyes off of it. When a customer asked her a question she quick glanced at them, gave a quick answer, and then locked back on to the gun. She stared at it the whole time we meandered by. I watched out of the corner of my eye the whole time, and she stared the gun down until we disappeared around the corner. As soon as we were out of her sight me and my buddy cracked up. She never looked up at my buddy to see what kind of guy he was, never looked at me or saw my gun. She saw his and just locked on to it till she couldn't see it anymore, like it was a rabid dog about to bite her. Either that, or she just really liked it and was trying to figure out what model it was. ;)

The other, which is applicable to this post, was a guy sitting behind a table that, as we walked by, asked loudly "Y'all on the job?" We hadn't been talking to him so I didn't expect to be talking to us. When I realized he was, we walked over to him and explained that no, we aren't cops. His next question: "Y'all FBI?" "Haha, no, just private citizens." He immediately showed a bit of concern, but when I explained that it's legal and that we're law abiding citizens his demeanor changed from concerned to curious. We talked about it for a few minutes, and then we went on our way.

Overall, open-carrying there was a positive experience.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've gotten that question a few times. I usually say "National Guard" and walk away as they look confused.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
I had a rather bum-looking guy leaning on the wall outside the door at Walmart shout out, "What agency are you with?" as I had exited and was crossing the parking lot. I turned and answered that I wasn't with any "agency" and continued my way.

Another time, a bagging clerk was eying my P89 and meandered over to bag our groceries. He looked at my company logo on my shirt and said, "so what do you do for {company}?" When I said, "write software" he got the most bewildered look on his face that I almost cracked up.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
I have been asked "Are you law enforcement?" quite a few times.

I've also had someone say "You look like a fed. Are you FBI? Secret Service?" to which I responded "No just carrying to protect myself." He replies, "Oh, you're John Wayne!"

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Only a half dozen times or so, most people are civil and mind their own business.

When asked, I usually choose between "I'm private" and "Why? Do you have any warrants? Got any ID on you?"

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
OverTork said:
I was at some big flea market last weekend (or the weekend prior). I forgot what it was called. My friend and I were open carrying, him a XD9SC and myself a Glock 19.
Was it Keller’s Flea Market in Savannah? If so I probably saw you. I actually saw two young military looking guys carrying one was with a female and the other appeared to be alone but both were OCing plastic pistols. With one of the guys, I asked my wife if she noticed anything odd or different and she said “no, why?†I said “because he was OCing†which spurred this question, “Why is it called OC when it is exposed, shouldn’t be called EC?†I told her “no†that OC stood for open carry.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
Holly Springs PD asked me who I worked for one day while at the BK in Hickory Flat. When I told him no one, he asked me to conceal it so the don't get any MWAG calls. I politely declined his request and he went back to eating. I'm kind of curious what he would have said had a been an officer.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i get asked alot if im a bounty hunter. i had a cop ask me once where i work, because i go to the same gas station every morning as he does, and the clerk always asks me if im headed to work. well anyway, i just told the cop "statesboro". maybe he assumed im an officer in statesboro, i dunno, dont care.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I never get asked that question, because we are not permitted by our Dept. to carry in an exposed manner without displaying a badge or badge patch in plain view. No badge = concealed. End of story for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
jdh31313 said:
OverTork said:
Was it Keller’s Flea Market in Savannah? If so I probably saw you. I actually saw two young military looking guys carrying one was with a female and the other appeared to be alone but both were OCing plastic pistols. With one of the guys, I asked my wife if she noticed anything odd or different and she said “no, why?†I said “because he was OCing†which spurred this question, “Why is it called OC when it is exposed, shouldn’t be called EC?†I told her “no†that OC stood for open carry.
Yea, that's it, Keller's.

Not sure if it was us you saw. Neither of us had a female there with us. I typically conceal carry, but we were headed back from the range and I usually wear an OWB holster to the range.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Q: "Nice gun. Who do you work for?"
A: "Shhhhhh.... be vewry vewry quiet...... I'm hunting wabbits. Heee heee heee!"

Q: "Nice gun. So who do you work for?"
A: "Dead Sure Pest Control. Seen any mice around here need shootin' ?"

Q: "Nice gun. What agency are you with?"
A: "I'm a free agent."

·
Registered
848 Posts
No one ever sees my weapon. Not even printing, even with the gov't 1911. I'm always amazed at where I go & who I'm with, without anyone knowing.

I like it that way.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
When I carried a Glock, I got it all the time. Now that I carry a Kahr P9 almost exclusively, it isn't an issue. Most people don't even notice, even when I do OC due to the slim profile.

On the off chance I do get something with the Kahr, it's mostly "what type of gun is that?".

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't OC that often and have never been asked that question while OCing. One store clerk did jokingly say something like "are you going to shoot me?" But, I have been asked several times at gun shops and at different ranges. When I worked in the school system as a PC technician, the kids were always asking if I was a cop. :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I get asked all the time if I'm a Fed, especially when I wear a dark suit and a tie. They are half-correct, I do work for a federal agency (FDIC) but I AM NOT A LEO and I do not work in law enforcement. Just a regular civilian employee. I carry for personal reasons, not professional reasons. My carrying and my job are two separate issues. (I do not carry while working).

But the funniest time was when I went to Wal-Mart dressed in casual clothes and the cashier remarked "You must be working undercover". I just gave her a blank stare and flatly remarked "If I was, then I couldn't tell you, because it would blow my cover." She didn't get it....here's your sign!

I have too much respect for LEO's to ever impersonate one. People with over-active imaginations jump to incorrect conclusions. Once their minds are made up, they can't be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
My wife and I OC everywhere and get the question on a regular basis. When I answer "Department of Defense" they just say 'oh...' the real fun comes when my wife answers "The Salvation Army", then we get the :? Look. Lol

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
My response is always; "No, I'm just a citizen who's chosen not to be a victim."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts