Do we have any duck/goose hunters here?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Doc Holliday, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Does anyone on here duck hunt? I went to Louisana once during the 90's and I loved it. I would like to hunt them around here but it is hit or miss. Anybody got any suggestions on where to go? I would be willing to pay a small nominal fee to accompany some experienced hunters to learn the ropes (calling, decoys, etc.) I want to get back into hunting again and sitting in a tree with a high powered rifle doesn't do it for me.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Yeah....I was was looking for somewhere a little more local! :lol: I can't afford Stuttgart, Arkansas right now. Maybe someone with a beaver swamp on a deer lease or a decent WMA in Georgia.

4. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

My wife's folks have a cabin on Seminole... road trip? We need someone with a boat.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Well I have my eyes on a little Aluminum John Boat.

6. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Canada Geese

we really need to legalize hunting all those Canada geese that gather all around the ponds and lakes all over the metro Atlanta area. A few of them are cute and a welcome sight, but when they stay in one area by the hundreds, for months at a time, their crap covers everything!

Obviously shotguns are out, but maybe we could figure out another sporting an humane way of harvesting this game? Maybe an IED at the bottom of a bucket of corn, floating on an old inner tube? :twisted:

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

F/A as they fly past?

9. Claire

Claire New Member

Re: Canada Geese

Up north in the Boston commons ( a place like piedmont park) where there was a small lake - they hired a woman to run her bird dogs on a regular basis - I guess hoping to chase the geese - so they would choose a different place to congregate

10. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Aeroshooter is right, I am an avid waterfowl hunter. The season opens on Nov. 17!! Whoohooo.

Ptsmith is also correct in that the place to find discussion/opportunities on this in Georgia is http://forum.gon.com I post over there, as do most of my hunting buddies and many others.

There are some good spots/methods in Georgia, including in the metro Atlanta area. Lanier and Allatoona both hold pretty good hunting, but they may be hard to get into with all the closed ramps, etc. Georgia's WMA's are not typically geared toward waterfowl, with just a couple of exceptions. The lakes, coastal region, and private leases of swamp land are the way to go. Good walk-in spots are also out there, but those are generally closely guarded honey holes that people won't talk about.