Do they have a database for the GFL?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by mike316atl, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

What would happen if you were carrying and u left your wallet at home by accident? Would u get a charge? :?:

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I believe so. There shouldn't be a database. There also shouldn't be a license requirement, but that's a different story.

3. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Looks like it.

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Also see O.C.G.A. 16-11-129

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 (e)
    ...It shall be required that any license holder under this Code section have in his or her possession his or her valid license whenever he or she is carrying a pistol or revolver under the authority granted by this Code section, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of Code Section 16-11-128.

So yes, if you have a license but forget it at home and get caught carrying without it you would be charged.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is no known database for the GFL. So if a LEO wants to verify he would have to call the probate court in the county it was issued in. Imagine trying to check a GFL at 3am or in another state that honors Georgia.

The law also says that you have to have a GFL on your person or it is the same thing as not having one, so you could be charged. You might get lucky and the judge dismiss the case once you showed that you had a valid GFL, who knows though.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Make photocopies of your GFL. Can't be any less official than the joke of an official document they issue us in the first place. Keep them in your car and stuff.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Would that even be legitimate? I know that probably wouldn't be considered altering, but still.

8. Ace12

Ace12 Member

I have used a photocopy of my Social Security card for years with no problems, YET....

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Interesting. I've always been requested to supply an original (for employers).

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From section 129:

11. Ace12

Ace12 Member

Can you just request an extra copy? or just say you lost it and pay for a new one.

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

You might get arrested and charged, but as soon as you produce the valid GFL, I assume the charges would be dropped.

13. M249

M249 New Member

Technically, you're still guilty of not having it on your person.

Of course, if I was a judge, I dismiss them on 2A grounds... hence the reason I'm not qualified to be a judge. :D