Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed 50 times on this website so I apologize in advance. I am extremely busy, and don't have the time right now to comb through the forum. I looked briefly before posting.

I'm going to be selling a few guns, so I'll try to make this easy and fast for you to answer me.

In-State sale:

1) Long Gun? Y or N
2) Handgun? Y or N

Out-of-State sale:

3) Long Gun? Y or N
4) Handgun Y or N

I'm almost positive that you have to do a FFL transfer for either Long gun or Handgun for out-of-state, just want to double-check.

If you would just mark a y or n beside the number that's all that's needed. Thanks a million :righton:

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
in-state no need for FFL as long as it is face to face (not 100% on the face to face part) for rifle or pistol (unless its an NFA type firearm)
out-of-state you'll need to ship to an FFL in buyer's home state

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
illsayit said:
I know this has probably been discussed 50 times on this website so I apologize in advance. I am extremely busy, and don't have the time right now to comb through the forum. I looked briefly before posting.

I'm going to be selling a few guns, so I'll try to make this easy and fast for you to answer me.

In-State sale:

1) Long Gun?N
2) Handgun? N

Out-of-State sale:

3) Long Gun? Y
4) Handgun Y

I'm almost positive that you have to do a FFL transfer for either Long gun or Handgun for out-of-state, just want to double-check.

If you would just mark a y or n beside the number that's all that's needed. Thanks a million :righton:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is in-state versus out-of-state as important as face-to-face versus shipped?

Can I mail a Glock to someone just because we both live in Georgia? (I thought it was NO)

Do I need an FFL if I drive to Tennessee to buy a gun face-to-face? (I thought it was NO)

Some of the answers say both would be YES. Color me confused.

I've never done either, but I'm growing my collection....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A handgun out of state MUST use a FFL. No questions about it.

I "think" a long gun out of state, but I am not positive on that.

You can not drive to TN and buy a handgun from a TN resident, and bring it back to Georgia. You must use a FFL.

I have been told that shipping a firearm to an "in-state" resident is legal also. I was told this by a FFL, and I think it was verified here. It is something that is never done, because most folks want a FTF transaction, but it can be done.

I think it might have been Mather1 who verified this.

Jerry

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
You need an FFL on the handgun from out of state. The seller might be able to avoid shipping if they can meet FTF at the buyer's FFL. This of course is more complicated when the buyer's state is more restrictive than the seller's (AZ->CA for example).

I do not know about a long gun.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.

I've been married 25 years, so having my mistaken ideas corrected is not a new thing. :)

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Suppor ... faqid=1118
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
I am not an FFL holder:
B9 says I can ship a FIREARM to a resident (non-FFL) in my own state OR to an FFL in any state via a "Carrier". (fed-ex, ups etc)

B8 says I can ship a shotgun or rifle to a resident (non-FFL) in my own state or to an FFL in any state butNO HANDGUNS! (United States Postal Service)

key words:
FFL Holder
Nonlicencee
Resident
Firearm
Shotgun
Rifle
Handgun

Of course this refers to non criminal etc etc etc etc

BUT I AM NOT A LAWYER! :righton:

LONG VERSION:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 5300-4.pdf

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Thanks to the OP. This thread is definitely worth a bookmark!

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
CountryGun said:
Well dangit! My info was about shipping, not just selling!

Buying or Selling

http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 5300-4.pdf

Down around page 176/177
Questions and Answers about the law code.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's remises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in 177 the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
CountryGun said:
Well, get busy, Jack! Give us more!

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
CountryGun said:
Savvy Jack said:
CountryGun said:
Well, get busy, Jack! Give us more!
Edited my post above yours!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts
SHORT SIMPLE COMMENT FOR THE BUSY Original Poster:

Just because somebody "is" in Georgia and meets you here or gives you a Georgia address to ship the firearm to, that doesn't mean they are a Georgia resident.

If a resident from some other state comes personally to your home state to buy a gun, you can't sell it directly to them. Has to go through an FFL dealer.

This applies equally for handguns and long guns, when you are an individual selling to or buying from another individual.
But if you are thinking about buying guns from an FFL dealer in another state, then federal law treats handguns differently from long guns (rifles, shotguns, carbines).

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
illsayit said:
Thats the way I see it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts