DNR Considers Charging Fee At Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by mountainpass, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/010 ... 2684.shtml

2. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Wait, there is a shooting range in the Dawson WMA north of 53? Where is that exactly?

3. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

Cohutta and Johns Mountain in NW Georgia both charge $5 per car for parking. Cohutta's been talking about making it $5 per person, but haven't heard anything else about that yet.

4. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Don't we already pay for these areas in the form of taxes, hunting licenses, etc.?

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I was wondering when they'd get around to finding a way to fund the new trailer and full-time RO at Wilson Shoals. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money to have some idiot cover me with his muzzle all day long.

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

At the Richmond Hill WMA range, there's no RO and the only time I've ever seen the DNR there is when they're writing dozens of tickets.

7. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

I personally do not have a problem with the small extra fee. If it improves service range capabilities and function... I see it as a user fee which I feel is better than a fee for everyone....

8. grumpy

grumpy New Member

What are the odds that it will improve anything? Slim to none? Less? We are talking about government, here.

9. AirCrew

AirCrew New Member

If DNR gets any funding from the General Fund than "everyone" already pays a fee. If people would clean up after themselves and not damage the ranges the costs would not be so high. I diasgree with charging a fee period and double damned disagree with only charging a fee at certain ranges and not at others!!

10. mountainpass

I have a friend that works for the state. He says that the DNR is bloated downtown. They have many offices hidden all over town filled with "paper pushers"...his words not mine. It's so much more than Hunting and Fishing... Coastal Resources Division, Environmental Protection Division, Historic Preservation Division, Sustainability Division, Parks, Recreation & Historic Sites Division and Wildlife Resources Division.

But what we see and use gets the ax and or fee.

If the money raised stayed at the site I might support it, but it will probably go downtown, or worse the general fund.

11. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I was about to ask the same question.. I'v lived 2 miles down the road from this place for the past 5-6 years.. I've kayaked by it I think and we would hear the gun fire but NEVER did I know there was a range over there... :roll:

12. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

+1 IF the money were actually used for site improvement/maintenance, I'd have no problem with it at all.

13. pml

pml Active Member

Yes we do. I drive 90 minutes to shoot outside at WS WMA, about 80 yards. Charge me a fee, and I'll put that money towards a gun club membership, and save the gas

14. mountainpass

I feel that most folks drive at least an hour to one of these ranges. I imagine they will do the same or not go. This resembles the tag increase in HB1055....it didn't work, as most told the state to stuff it. I bet that will end up costing the state money. How? Well when folks drop the speciality tags, the state has to issue a new tag, instead of a sticker. BTW Tim Bearden voted against it. :wink: Thanks Tim were watching.

15. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

And the DNR boat registration is not processed in Georgia. The Georgia DNR subcontracts boat registration to a company in Maryland. You can be assured any additional fees will be squandered.

16. mountainpass

So are the hunting and fishing licenses'.

17. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Nice. I'd like to see legislation for keeping Georgia government business in Georgia, employing Georgians.

18. mountainpass

My Reps know my thoughts on all this.

19. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

I'd pay to go there if that would pay for cleaning up the trash, a longer range, and a range safety officer to throw the muzzle-sweeping d-bags out. For now, though, I can't do much more than avoid it on weekends.

20. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Not many folks go to the DNR meetings, so the few that do have a chance to make a difference.

I read the proposal. The "Report of the Land Management Steering Committee" can be viewed here: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/2419. Fee system on WRD land is summarized at page 7; page 16 is also of direct interest. All of it is a worthy read. It helps you understand where your money goes, whether you ever step foot onto a WMA or shooting range.

Supposedly, the funding from user fees is kept with DNR. The hunting & fishing license, and boat registration fees go into the General Fund. Then DNR has to hope to get enough fees back for operations.

Is DNR another bloated state agency worthy of cuts in the "suits" department, I will levave that to your best guess. However, doing nothing ensures nothing will change. As a user of WMA all over GA, that does not look enticing to me in the long run.

Cut waste, create efficiency, and deliver better services and product, in DNR and beyond. That is what I expect from this GA Legislature - not promises.