DL & GWL to purchase firearms in GA?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Apr 6, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I've looked and can't find anything relating to this question, perhaps I missed it, but why have I been required to provide both my GWL and DL each time I have purchased a weapon over the past 6-9 months at the FFL? I've bought from 2 big box stores, directly from an LGS, and had transfers to an LGS and in each instance I was told I had to produce both. It's not a problem but in reading some things it made me wonder where this requirement comes from since the GWL is harder to get and requires greater scrutiny of the applicant.

2. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Maybe, but I didn't have to get an FBI background check or be fingerprinted for my DL, gold star or not, but I did for my GWL. Both have pictures nowadays, both have residence, height, weight, and both are marked as Government ID.

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

The federal law governing the completion of a 4473 at an FFL (big box or LGS), requires a valid government issued picture ID with address and birthdate of the transferee, for block 18a. The FFL I work for, and most that I know of, will ask for the DL to fill that requirement, because all buyers have a DL or state ID. We always ask for the GWCL, if the buyer has one, as a matter of course, since that will waive the requirement for the instant background check (block 21). A buyer can present ONLY the GWCL at our store, and we can use that as the primary ID for block 18a and for the state license requirement to waive background check. It's a matter of our store procedure and preference. And some FFLs/LGSs can insist on being more restrictive and require both to complete the sale.

5. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

All true, but the gold star has federal DHS's blessing, all to keep you safe from the terrorists. Or is it to keep the terrorists safe from you? I can't remember which.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks. Just wondering since one place was insistent that I present the DL despite having my GWL already. It just seemed redundant and officious to me. The others asked for the DL after being presented the GWL and I complied but have always wondered if it was them or the regulations. Guess I know now, it's them.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

My DL doesn't have a Gold Star, which btw was a end-run-around the want for a national ID.

As for stores wanting a DL, I assume that is a store policy. DL is common for ID and many do not understand a GWCL would legally qualify as ID by itself.

8. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Yes, it is a policy, and some stores choose to be more strict. Our store policy is, we prefer to have both items for the sale. Just about every FFL store is going to want to see and copy both documents, if they know you have them. Every once in awhile, a customer will say he only has a GWCL, and we'll go ahead and complete the sale with just that. It is perfectly in compliance with federal law.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks again. Makes perfect sense to me. On the issue of the Gold Star, what Guvment idiot decided to put Gold Stars on identity documents? Is there no sense of history or what that could convey to people?

10. driverman_1

driverman_1 New Member

Last gun I bought was at a LGS but it is more of a supply house for law enforcement. I handed them my DL and GWL he handed
    my DL back to me said I don't need those with the GWL. It's probably just people that don't realize the GWL fits the bill as government ID.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Isn't that a bit of a stretch to conflate the identification of specific ethnic or religious groups with a country's entire population - composed of many ethnic or religious groups - required to have a standardized form of ID? You're letting your imagination run loose.

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

You know, it was just plain ignorant as a choice when anything could have been used instead. I didn't say it was criminal but I am opposed to national IDs and it's not my imagination to say it was thoughtless on the part of the life-tenure Federal bureaucrats.

13. moe mensale

What do you receive when the teacher wants to show you did well? A big :goldstar:

14. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Not anymore in public school, its a micro aggression against the students who didn't do well. :sad:

15. moe mensale

So now everybody gets a :goldstar: . It's just another participation trophy. :lol:

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Wifes cousin has a grandson in 1st grade. He gets colors each day regarding behavior and actions. Red for a bad day, green for a good day and possibly others in the middle.

I am waiting on someone to claim micro-agressive against Native Americans, communists, or other planetary beings.

Nemo

17. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Probably already happened in either Californistan or Massachustan.

18. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

May have something to do with establishing current address due to the need to update drivers license when you move but no need to update GWCL. If both are current shouldn't be an issue but some stores may just want to cover themselves with more info.