dixieland fun park

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by tony218, Jul 13, 2006.

1. tony218

tony218 New Member

would this place be a public gathering?
    they have go-cart rides, mini-golf.
    they have an arcade inside the building.
    they do charge admission when you drive
    in the gate. it's in fayetteville.

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

i was thinking since they charge admission it's not a
    public gathering, i'm new to this concealed carry thing
    so i'm thought i would ask before i did carry there
    (see not off limits?????)

you scared me malum

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Well, charging admission does NOT totally negate the fact that a public place may indeed be a public gathering.

What you really need to ask yourself is this... Is there any kind of event or function that is happening inside the park that the public will gather for?

Based on what you posted earlier about having go-cart rides, mini golf, and an arcade, I would find it hard to believe it to be an event or function the public gathers for.

Notwithstanding, if the park hosts a fireworks show, parade, concert, ect. Then you may find yourself in the middle of a public gathering - since those types of activites are events that the public usually gathers for.

However :ianal: and my advice is worth what you paid for it...

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

ICP pretty much covered it all. 8)

5. ICP_Juggalo

Tony, try reading this thread. Georgia Renaissance Festival

Lot of good disscussion on what is or isn't a public gathering outside the 5 enumerated areas defined by law. Even though it was eventually determined that the GA Ren Festival was more than likely a public gathering, you can use the info posted in there to come to your own conclusion about Dixieland Park.

6. tony218

tony218 New Member

the only thing i see different is you can buy "ale" at the ren. fest.
    and you cannot at dixie land.
    i still don't want to be a test case.

malum you scared me!!- i think i'll make this my new signature.

7. ICP_Juggalo

That and I think a prosecutor could convince a jury that the jousting show at the ren. fest. is an athletic or sporting event

8. tony218

tony218 New Member

i didn't even think about that.

malum you scared me!!

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. That really is my answer, though. I mean, who knows?

There have been people arrested and convicted and the conviction upheld on appeal based on nothing more than "a crowd of people were gathered" around the person when he was disarmed by the police officer.

There is only one favorable case - State v. Burns.

This is also the only case in which the defendant had a firearms license and was not committing some sort of crime at the time (just ordering a cheeseburger). That is where the test of a particular function comes from. Is the Ren Fest a particular function? I can certainly argue that it is or is not.

Given the current language of the public gathering statute, I would not want to be facing trial on it.

Dixie - because it is open every day, well, I can think of better arguments, but I am not willing to tell you, yes, for sure it is ok to carry - go ahead. I just am not sure one way or the other how it would come out. Too many variables.

10. tony218

tony218 New Member

we will be going tonight (unarmed).
    i'll see if they have a gunbusters sign.
    if they have security i will ask them about carrying.

i almost forgot: malum you scared me!!

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Don't waste your time asking. The answer is NO. They don't know the law any better than you do.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And they might interpret your question like this:

"Hey, can I carry a gun and wave it around and scare the kiddies, and let it fall out while doing the go karts and go off and shoot somebody so you can get sued and can I do this?"

---------------------------> :shoot:

"Only if I fell threatened, of course, you know, like that new stand your ground bill says? You people will be so much safer with me on the job!"

:shock: