Disturbing 'SWAT' incident

Discussion in 'In the News' started by kkennett, Aug 14, 2006.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Boy, this a tough one. If you draw on the real Swat team, you're as good as dead. If you kill one and live, you'll face charges. But then this happens (from today's news):

Lookout For Men Posing As SWAT Officers
    (WSB Radio) Henry County Police are looking for two men who barged into a couple's home in the middle of the night, posing as SWAT officers.
    Lt. Jason Bolton tells WSB's Jennifer Griffies the couple was asleep at their home on Panola Road, when the men broke into their home just before 1 o'clock Monday morning.

"The residents at that location, a male and a female, were asleep, and woke up to the sound of voices inside their home. The female got up and encountered two white males that had entered their home," said Bolton.

"Both of them were wearing black shirts with SWAT printed on it, as well as black stocking masks. They were both armed with handguns. They claimed to be members of the Henry County Police SWAT Team, and said that they had a warrant for the male subject at that location," said Bolton.

Bolton says the woman managed to call 9-1-1 when the suspects were taking her fiance outside in handcuffs.

The suspects fled when they saw the real officers arriving on the scene.

Bolton says so far, police have not determined a motive.

"It's quite bizarre, and we're trying to figure it out ourselves right now," said Bolton.

"We're investigating it as an armed robbery, a home invasion-armed robbery. Even though nothing was taken, you've got two armed assailants enter someone's home in the middle of the night. We're looking at it very seriously," said Bolton.

Bolton says they're hoping to get fingerprints off of the handcuffs that the suspects left behind in their haste to get away.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Spooky.

But they obviously knew him.

3. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Unfortunately impersonating police officers / SWAT teams is not an uncommon tactic. It's just one more unintended consequence of using no-knock entries in the middle of the night by law enforcement. Below is a link to a great paper by the CATO Institute describing the growth of the paramilitarization of US law enforcement and its adverse effects (e.g., innocent people killed, arrested, humiliated, etc. when the SWAT team raids the wrong house).

It's long but a good read.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/balko_whitepaper_2006.pdf

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sorry I just posted a thread on this this morning with more details.

You have to wonder what the heck are they thinking. Or as Bill Engelvall says " Here's your sign"

5. Malum Prohibitum

6. Malum Prohibitum

7. Malum Prohibitum

jmorin, I just realized that your paper and the Reason magazine article I recommended above on the Cory Maye case are written by the same person from the Cato Institute.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I presented this case to my political science class, and the majority sided with me that the no-knock warrants are a problem.

9. Malum Prohibitum

10. carrya1911

carrya1911 New Member

Re:

I would add that it's also a problem that police officers are now impersinating robbers.
    Take off the masks boys, you're not the "Lone Ranger"

11. smn

smn Active Member

The Reason article is a good read.

12. samman23

samman23 New Member

doesn't this sounds more like kidnapping then robbery?

13. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I bet they find out the two fake cops knew the victim, and wanted to punish him for something.

14. DerPhysiker

DerPhysiker New Member

Re: Re:

Update to the Update.

Cory Maye gets a new trial[/quote:3txzghmc]

I read through a lot of available material and it is great that things finally seem to be turning around for Mr. Maye. Is the new trial going to be a capital trial as well? or can the state bargain with Mr. Maye at this point? It seems that another capital conviction will be unlikely given his new, very experienced legal representation. Will anyone speculate?

15. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

16. Montezuma

Montezuma Active Member

Except that this guy is now a convicted felon for standing his ground and defending his infant daughter from what, allegedly, he believed to be an intruder. I am all for sticking it to people that willfully commit a murder, against anyone, not just law enforcement, but this case highlights just how severe the problem with certain members of law enforcement not understand their statutory obligation to do their job within the confines of the law. This will be far from the last problem that we have with these botched drug raids, and raids of the homes of people not involved in illegal practices.

As a matter of fact, I believe it is high time(pardon the pun) to rid us of all of this prohibition. The War on Drugs is a great piece of evidence on just how big a failure malum prohibitum laws have been, and in showing government continues to use these laws to legislate away behavior that the legislators, and/or their supporters, do not agree with.

If legislators really want to end the profitability of criminal activity, then the best way to do that is to take away the profitability of activity that, if it were not "illegal", would not be profitable in the first place. Alcohol is one of the biggest examples of how and why prohibition has never worked, and will never work, unless you are a criminal and want to make a crap ton of money.

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Great post, Sir! :righton: