Disturbing LEO argument when applying for a permit

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by dmills, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dmills

dmills New Member

I went to Wilkes county to get my permit and walked upstairs to the probate judge's floor where he and a State Trooper were finishing their lunch in the break room. The trooper asked me what I wanted there, and I replied that I was there to obtain "a concealed weapons permit." They told me to wait in the hall, and I overheard the trooper stating that there in fact is no permit which allows civilians to carry a concealed firearm. The judge replied that they had changed the name to "weapons carry license", but it still allowed people to carry concealed or unconcealed. The trooper insisted that the carry license only allows unconcealed carry, and I specifically heard him say that if he finds anyone carrying a firearm which is concealed with or without a license, then he will arrest them and take them directly to jail. The judge tried to convince him otherwise, but the trooper would not be swayed, and the conversation finished with the judge saying that he will print out a copy of the law for the trooper to read for himself. This was all overheard by me, and I did not get involved in the conversation.
    1 hour later, when I returned from fingerprinting to pick up my permit, I asked the judge if I was allowed to carry a concealed firearm in a shoulder holster with this permit. His reply was, "That's my interpretation of the law." I looked at him quizzically and told him this was the only reason I was applying for a permit, and I needed to know if this was allowed. He said that it was. I asked if the trooper would arrest me if he found me carrying concealed with a permit, and the judge said that yes, he would. This concerned me. The judge then printed out some forms and rules concerning the law, but my question was never answered, and he told me that the trooper in question was a 16-year veteran and that his father was the chief of the GBI in MacDuffie county for 20 years. I am still not satisfied with how this concluded, and wonder if anyone else has had problems like this in the past?

2. seereus

seereus Active Member

Sounds like the trooper has a problem.

3. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Sounds like that trooper is going to enforce his own laws and not those of the state. We'll see how well that goes when he falsely arrests someone and they lawyer up.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This, especially if the trooper would not listen to the judge who issues the license.

5. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

6. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

My money is on that the trooper served on a force in the NE.

7. dmills

dmills New Member

Thank you for the information. Tomorrow I will contact the probate judge in Wilkes and get the trooper's name and then call Bill Ashburn to get to the bottom of this. I will post a follow-up accordingly.

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I know a lot of those guys over there, I can't imagine who it was. I would like to know if you happen to find out

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Why would you argue with a probate judge who issues licenses? :banghead:

10. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Sounds to me like this almost has to be some kind of practical joke or a communication error. No probate judge would stand there and be lectured by a trooper on the law and no trooper in his right mind would stand toe to toe with a judge while lecturing same.

Something's a little off on this one.

11. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Anything is possible Bulldawg, I know a lot of those troopers, and have for years. I am having a hard time figuring it out myself.

12. Viking

Viking New Member

Me too. It's hard to believe a trooper would argue with a judge about the law. Weird.

13. dmills

dmills New Member

Hey, I was as surprised as anyone, which is why I posted it on this forum. If I gave the impression that this was an argument, then I apologize, it was more of a friendly disagreement over lunch, so there was really nothing "toe-to-toe" going on. The probate judge in question, Thomas Charping, is quite a reserved and friendly individual, and what is he supposed to do in this situation anyway? As far as I know, the State Patrol of GA is not under his jurisdiction or control, but I plead ignorance about state and county politics. As I said before, I will call Judge Charping tomorrow and post the trooper's name here, and then contact his commanding officer to find out what is going on, and post that as well. It is always possible that I am mistaken, but the judge confirmed to me what was said when I picked up the permit.

14. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

"Concealed carry permit" ?

15. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

The holster requirement and concealed vs. open carry specifications/restrictions have been removed from Georgia law during the last session, so you're fine with a shoulder holster (although you would have been fine even before the law changed this year). I use a shoulder holster occasionally.

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd like to see the foll0w-up on this too.
    Like a poster above said, it sounds like this Trooper has his own ideas about the law and won't be swayed by seeing the law in black-and-white, or talking to other people about it.

Hopefully his boss or the local DA or the county attorney or the Attorney General (who would have to represent him and his agency if they get sued for abusing a citizen's rights) would be able to convince him what the law actually is.

17. slammy

slammy New Member

Sheriff, I sit in awe of you and legacy, you all always try to make thinks right and give us the help when needed. You all help educat and further our rights, Hats off to you both.

Tyson (in my county) is a good guy too you both have my respect.

Slammy

18. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Tyson is a fine Sheriff and a good friend of mine....
    you got a good one down there...

19. slammy

slammy New Member

:D I agree
    Thanks

20. MyFred

MyFred Banned

This concerned me. The judge then printed out some forms and rules concerning the law, but my question was never answered, and he told me that the trooper in question was a 16-year veteran and that his father was the chief of the GBI in MacDuffie county for 20 years.

If the judge was honest in this response, then he was only letting you know to stay away from from this trooper, as he can do whatever he wants to do as far as violating your rights or breaking any laws and even the judge knows to watch his step. After all, he is part of the "brotherhood" and his daddy won't let him get prosecuted for anything.