Disarming one fifth of the U.S. Population/Psychiatric Gulag

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EJR914, Nov 19, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40257359

This is done by a government agency. The solution of course is more government.

Also, how long before all these "mentally ill" citizens will be barred from owning or buying firearms?

See below for David Codrea article explaining the firearm aspect much better than I can.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Re: Expanding the Psychiatric Gulag

Wow, 20%! That's millions of people! You've got to know that some of those people own guns, and some probably also have permits to carry! What is the government going to DO about it to keep us all safe! It's just insane! We've, we've got to pass some laws! Quick, somebody pass me a cool refreshing law! :lol: :x :lol: :x

To any government authorities that might read this. The above is merely a comedic paraody of a left-wing commie liberal about to blow a gasket, and in no way reflects my state of mind. :woohoo:

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Re: Expanding the Psychiatric Gulag

David Codrea takes it that one step further.

Much more here: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... -americans

Don't forget to click on all the blue links in the story for more.

Here is the link to the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act: https://www.cms.gov/HealthInsReformforC ... MHPAEA.pdf :screwy:

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

There are too many crazy or otherwise mentally ill people running around free in our society.
    More people should be institutionalized, and more people should lose their rights. Not just to have weapons, but their rights to drive, use telephones unsupervised, and their right to walk or travel where and when they feel like it. Because they're crazy, and they're safer in an institution and we're safer from them if they're in an institution (could be a low-security place like a halfway house, not some stone fortress with iron bars on the windows).

But if a person is not crazy enough to institutionalize, then I say they are not crazy enough to lose their gun rights.
    Only in a few very rare cases should somebody be declared mentally incompetent to possess firearms but still competent in other matters and allowed to live independently, unsupervised.

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Whoa! I thought your first paragraph above was sarcasm or parody, but I'm not so sure now. If you were serious, it sounds like you're aligning yourself with those that say, "We're the govt, we're here to help. It's for your own good. This won't hurt a bit."

A little Orwellian, IMHO.

Please correct me if my perception of your post is wrong. I mean no offense to you personally.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No, I mean it.
    For the first 200 years of American History, crazy people were locked-up. They lost their rights.
    But too many people were called "crazy" when they really weren't. And they were treated badly, and the institutions were ugly places with bad practices, and it was shameful in many cases.
    So the mood of the country reversed. The call came to empty the loony bins! Free the nuts! Let them out, to the care of their families, their churches, and themselves. (A lot of people who were released with the expectation that family and friends would care for them ended up fending for themselves and living on the streets anyway).

I think it went too far. Too many crazy people are roaming free among us and more of them need to be locked-up or at least closely supervised.

Anyhow, I've seen these people up close and personal. I've volunteered at homeless shelters. I've had mentally ill people as victims of crimes that I've investigated, and defended, and other mentally ill people (taking the broad definition that might encompass a significant minority of the population) have committed crimes that I have prosecuted.

A lot of them should not have guns. You can wave the Second Amendment at me all you want. I don't care. There are exceptions to every rule, every constitutional right, and every principle of law. Crazy people should not have access to weapons.

P.S. Sometimes "the government" is just doing what a group of local concerned citizens can do, would do, and should do. And I'm OK with making sure more regular ordinary citizens are involved in the process, and not leaving it up to the intelligensia / elites use their definition of "mentally ill" and apply it to everyone who is not like them. There ought to be an upper limit on what percentage of citizens can be deprived of their rights for any reason, due to criminal history or mental illness. I'd set it at 5%. If your definitions of "mentally ill" and "felon" are so broad that they apply to more than 5% of the adult population of Americans, then you need to revise your definitions and come with different criteria.

7. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Funny, young adults 18-25 were Obama's biggest demographic (by age, BHO’s largest support demographic was 66 percent of voters under the age of 30). What does that say?

BS study. It's including depression as mental illness. In some cases, sure, I'd call chronic depression 'mental illness', but when you're talking about unemployment (or being under 25), I'd call 'depression' a normal condition. You're out of a job - you've got no money, no prospects (yet), discovering that the real world's a b**** - it's normal to feel crappy. That's just the feeling of being an adult.

Here's the Godfather's advice about depression*

No Crying in Baseball!

*and again, I'm not talking about real depression; I'm talking about pussification.

8. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I also read somewhere that 20% of the American people can be classified as Liberal. Must just be a coincidence.

9. pml

pml Active Member

Ridiculous percentage. Kids put a lot of pressure on themselves, college, nonstop texting, facebook-- they have not learned how to handle life, or more importantly, prioritize the parts of their lives, so this is nonsense. I'm not saying kids don't have problems, but 30%?

Most of the mild depression is also what a buddy of mine described as, "it's called working for a living".

LOL, That is my favorite movie line of all time:
    Here's the Godfather's advice about depression*

I've been around long enough to remember the terrible conditions of so-called "mental hospitals". I remember when the reaction was to just open the doors. I think a lot of the current homeless have some of the inabilities to deal with life. For the most part, they are helpless and unable to ever change. I'd like to see some sort of program that would supply basic health and supervised medicine-- which a lot badly need.