Disarming For The Holidays.

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by 69953, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 69953

69953 Guest

Well, the title says it all unfortunately. I'll be visiting family and friends in South Carolina for Christmas and New Years. My GWL isn't valid there. I don't want to leave the gun in the truck and risk theft, but SC law also requires you to notify before bringing a gun into a persons home. None of my family or friends know I carry, and this won't be a good way to tell them ("Mind if I bring my gun inside?"). Best choice is to leave it home.

Bummer.

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Guns are not needed in SC. A very peaceful place.

3. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Yeah, I've never heard of any crime happening in South Carolina.
    :oops:

4. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Then I would not go! However, why don't you call and ask before you leave?

5. smn

smn Active Member

Ask anyway. It's also a long drive in between their place and your home. Time for you to come out of the bunker.

6. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

just tell them i went to the range earlier in the week and forgot my pistol was in the truck can i bring it inside its locked in this case....

7. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

You have done this before :D

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I have the exact same problem. Almost my entire extended family lives in South Carolina, so around Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm there quite a good bit. Not to mention my parents own a few properties there, so I'm there for that as well. Its a pain in the butt. I spent a weekend in Charleston this month.

I'm lucky, however, as my whole family hunts on both sides, own pistols, ect, so guns are nothing scary or new to them. I think one of my uncles may actually have his SC license, I'm not sure about that.

I would certainly ask in one way or the other. Either use the range excuse, or just call ahead of time. If not, just go unarmed if you're worried about the laws that much. I guess the bigger question is would your family members call the law on you, because they found out you concealed a firearm in their home? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn't think of bringing it at all, especially if you're worried about leaving it locked in your glove box.

If it were me, and they wouldn't let me bring it into their home, I would leave it locked in the glove box or a car safe. I know its not the best option out there, but I would be darned if I went on a long road trip without a firearm. What if your car breaks down at night on the way back?

I'm lucky enough I don't have to worry about that with my family. :whew:

9. 69953

69953 Guest

After some thought, and further study of SC laws, I think I'll bring it to have in the truck console lockbox. We'll be staying at a motel and I don't want to be unarmed. I'll leave it in the truck while at my family's house (not staying the night there). I'll probably call the friend we're staying with over New Years and ask permission to bring it inside. He's not a gun person, but he experienced an armed home invasion a few years ago, and we've been close friends for 15 years. Hopefully he'll be ok with it.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

If you can get your name on one of those properties you would qualify for a SC license.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Maybe you need to take two guns and schedule some range time. :wink: Yoiu might wind up leaving one.

12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Let's write SC's new governor Nikki Haley to encourage recip with GA.

13. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I'm working on it. :D :righton:

14. OleDog

OleDog New Member

I'm in the banana republic of Illinois, 'nuf said :roll:

15. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

I say we start a letter/email campaign to the new Governor pointing out how many of us will no longer be spending time or MONEY in SC because we are disarmed.No vacations, no supporting SC businesses and no family trips. I refuse to even get gas in SC when I am driving through it. It is up to the legislators to pass laws but the SC governor can introduce legislation. If we Georgians (and maybe others that are interested in freedom) stop spending money and start a SERIOUS internet/letter/e-mail campaign maybe they will get their head out of their a$$ and start accepting. :?:

16. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I'm so sorry.
    :(

17. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I'm up for it. Here is the information from the SC Governor's website. I'm assuming the address will remain the same after the office changes hands.

You may contact Governor Mark Sanford by sending him a letter to the following address:

Mailing Address:
    Governor Mark Sanford
    Office of the Governor
    P.O. Box 12267
    Columbia, SC 29211
    Fax: 803-734-5167

You may also contact the Governor's Office at 803-734-2100. Scheduling requests should be made in writing to the above address or fax number.

18. Phil1979

Wow.

19. 69953

69953 Guest

Well, I ended up bringing my gun for the weekend with family in SC. I'm glad I had it with me (particularly at a few gas stations), but it was a big pain to keep transferring it back and forth from the truck console to my bag. I had to show it to my brother and his wife, who were riding with my wife and I, when I had to stop and disarm before the SC state line. They responded positively and it ended up with a good conversation about carrying, as he had been thinking about buying a gun for home defense. I need to take him shooting at the new ITP range! I also had a nice conversation with one of my other brothers about guns and the holsters I've been making. He grew up hunting and has a number of guns, and his girlfriend's father carries regularly, so I knew he wouldn't mind me carrying.

All in all it was a great holiday, and I'm glad to be back home where I can carry! :righton:

20. Phil1979

I know how you feel. I had to be disarmed while at Myrtle Beach, except while in the car or hotel room. Hopefully, your friend who's experienced a home invasion will permit someone he's known for 15 years to enter his home at New Years while armed.