Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title says it all unfortunately. I'll be visiting family and friends in South Carolina for Christmas and New Years. My GWL isn't valid there. I don't want to leave the gun in the truck and risk theft, but SC law also requires you to notify before bringing a gun into a persons home. None of my family or friends know I carry, and this won't be a good way to tell them ("Mind if I bring my gun inside?"). Best choice is to leave it home.

Bummer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Yeah, I've never heard of any crime happening in South Carolina.
:oops:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
Well, the title says it all unfortunately. I'll be visiting family and friends in South Carolina for Christmas and New Years. My GWL isn't valid there. I don't want to leave the gun in the truck and risk theft, but SC law also requires you to notify before bringing a gun into a persons home. None of my family or friends know I carry, and this won't be a good way to tell them ("Mind if I bring my gun inside?"). Best choice is to leave it home.

Bummer.
Then I would not go! However, why don't you call and ask before you leave?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
Ask anyway. It's also a long drive in between their place and your home. Time for you to come out of the bunker.
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
just tell them i went to the range earlier in the week and forgot my pistol was in the truck can i bring it inside its locked in this case....
 

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
rmodel65 said:
just tell them i went to the range earlier in the week and forgot my pistol was in the truck can i bring it inside its locked in this case....
You have done this before :D
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Almost my entire extended family lives in South Carolina, so around Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm there quite a good bit. Not to mention my parents own a few properties there, so I'm there for that as well. Its a pain in the butt. I spent a weekend in Charleston this month.

I'm lucky, however, as my whole family hunts on both sides, own pistols, ect, so guns are nothing scary or new to them. I think one of my uncles may actually have his SC license, I'm not sure about that.

I would certainly ask in one way or the other. Either use the range excuse, or just call ahead of time. If not, just go unarmed if you're worried about the laws that much. I guess the bigger question is would your family members call the law on you, because they found out you concealed a firearm in their home? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn't think of bringing it at all, especially if you're worried about leaving it locked in your glove box.

If it were me, and they wouldn't let me bring it into their home, I would leave it locked in the glove box or a car safe. I know its not the best option out there, but I would be darned if I went on a long road trip without a firearm. What if your car breaks down at night on the way back?

I'm lucky enough I don't have to worry about that with my family. :whew:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #9
After some thought, and further study of SC laws, I think I'll bring it to have in the truck console lockbox. We'll be staying at a motel and I don't want to be unarmed. I'll leave it in the truck while at my family's house (not staying the night there). I'll probably call the friend we're staying with over New Years and ask permission to bring it inside. He's not a gun person, but he experienced an armed home invasion a few years ago, and we've been close friends for 15 years. Hopefully he'll be ok with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
EJR914 said:
Not to mention my parents own a few properties there,
If you can get your name on one of those properties you would qualify for a SC license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
. He's not a gun person, but he experienced an armed home invasion a few years ago, and we've been close friends for 15 years. Hopefully he'll be ok with it.
Maybe you need to take two guns and schedule some range time. :wink: Yoiu might wind up leaving one.
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
Let's write SC's new governor Nikki Haley to encourage recip with GA.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
ber950 said:
EJR914 said:
Not to mention my parents own a few properties there,
If you can get your name on one of those properties you would qualify for a SC license.
I'm working on it. :D :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I'm in the banana republic of Illinois, 'nuf said :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
I say we start a letter/email campaign to the new Governor pointing out how many of us will no longer be spending time or MONEY in SC because we are disarmed.No vacations, no supporting SC businesses and no family trips. I refuse to even get gas in SC when I am driving through it. It is up to the legislators to pass laws but the SC governor can introduce legislation. If we Georgians (and maybe others that are interested in freedom) stop spending money and start a SERIOUS internet/letter/e-mail campaign maybe they will get their head out of their a$$ and start accepting. :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,993 Posts
OleDog said:
I'm in the banana republic of Illinois, 'nuf said :roll:
I'm so sorry.
:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
mathar1 said:
I say we start a letter/email campaign to the new Governor pointing out how many of us will no longer be spending time or MONEY in SC because we are disarmed.No vacations, no supporting SC businesses and no family trips. I refuse to even get gas in SC when I am driving through it. It is up to the legislators to pass laws but the SC governor can introduce legislation. If we Georgians (and maybe others that are interested in freedom) stop spending money and start a SERIOUS internet/letter/e-mail campaign maybe they will get their head out of their a$$ and start accepting. :?:
I'm up for it. Here is the information from the SC Governor's website. I'm assuming the address will remain the same after the office changes hands.

You may contact Governor Mark Sanford by sending him a letter to the following address:

Mailing Address:
Governor Mark Sanford
Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 12267
Columbia, SC 29211
Fax: 803-734-5167

You may also contact the Governor's Office at 803-734-2100. Scheduling requests should be made in writing to the above address or fax number.
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
After some thought, and further study of SC laws, I think I'll bring it to have in the truck console lockbox. We'll be staying at a motel and I don't want to be unarmed. I'll leave it in the truck while at my family's house (not staying the night there). I'll probably call the friend we're staying with over New Years and ask permission to bring it inside. He's not a gun person, but he experienced an armed home invasion a few years ago, and we've been close friends for 15 years. Hopefully he'll be ok with it.
Wow.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I ended up bringing my gun for the weekend with family in SC. I'm glad I had it with me (particularly at a few gas stations), but it was a big pain to keep transferring it back and forth from the truck console to my bag. I had to show it to my brother and his wife, who were riding with my wife and I, when I had to stop and disarm before the SC state line. They responded positively and it ended up with a good conversation about carrying, as he had been thinking about buying a gun for home defense. I need to take him shooting at the new ITP range! I also had a nice conversation with one of my other brothers about guns and the holsters I've been making. He grew up hunting and has a number of guns, and his girlfriend's father carries regularly, so I knew he wouldn't mind me carrying.

All in all it was a great holiday, and I'm glad to be back home where I can carry! :righton:
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
Well, I ended up bringing my gun for the weekend with family in SC. I'm glad I had it with me (particularly at a few gas stations), but it was a big pain to keep transferring it back and forth from the truck console to my bag. I had to show it to my brother and his wife, who were riding with my wife and I, when I had to stop and disarm before the SC state line. They responded positively and it ended up with a good conversation about carrying, as he had been thinking about buying a gun for home defense. I need to take him shooting at the new ITP range! I also had a nice conversation with one of my other brothers about guns and the holsters I've been making. He grew up hunting and has a number of guns, and his girlfriend's father carries regularly, so I knew he wouldn't mind me carrying.

All in all it was a great holiday, and I'm glad to be back home where I can carry! :righton:
I know how you feel. I had to be disarmed while at Myrtle Beach, except while in the car or hotel room. Hopefully, your friend who's experienced a home invasion will permit someone he's known for 15 years to enter his home at New Years while armed.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top