Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blockbuster Worm Aimed for Infrastructure, But No Proof Iran Nukes Were Target

An exceptionally sophisticated piece of malware designed to attack programs used in critical infrastructure and other facilities garnered extensive attention among computer security experts this week as new details about its design and capabilities emerge, along with speculation it was aimed at disrupting Iran’s nuclear program.

“It’s the most complex piece of malware we’ve seen in the last five years or more,†says Nicolas Falliere, a code analyst at security firm Symantec. “It’s the first known time that malware is not targeting credit card [data], is not trying to steal personal user data, but is attacking real-world processing systems. That’s why it’s unique and is not over-hyped.â€

The Stuxnet worm, which was discovered in June and has infected more than 100,000 computer systems worldwide, is designed to attack the Siemens Simatic WinCC SCADA system. SCADA systems, short for “supervisory control and data acquisition,†are programs installed in pipelines, nuclear plants, utility companies and manufacturing facilities to manage operations.
Read More at the link: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/0 ... z10TJRjrT6

Attacked the nuclear program without a shot fired. Cyber Warfare is the way of the future. Fascinating.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Did Israel ALREADY attacked the Iranian nuclear program?

Well make no mistake about it, the Israelis aren't just sitting on their asses pondering a military strike - they are actively undermining Iran's nuclear capabilities in all sorts of ways. I agree with you - pretty fascinating stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Re: Did Israel ALREADY attacked the Iranian nuclear program?

Siemens systems are used in nuclear power plants, but not (to the best of my knowledge) in safety-related applications (to shut down the reactor or initiate safety systems). So the best they can manage would be to cause the reactor to go off line. I do think, though, that taking out the turbine side would be useful. Without any load, you can't really run a reactor. You gotta send the heat somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts