Did I do the Right Thing?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by dcannon1, Dec 21, 2010.

1. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

So this morning while I was getting ready for work I look out my window and saw 3 guys in fairly torn up clothing entering a duplex across the street from me. They look in both mailboxes (mounted beside the door type), they push hard on one of the doors to open it (the outside doors don't open directly into residences) and go in and out both sides of the duplex a couple of times while looking around the street a lot.

This seemed suspicious to me and there have been several break ins/ thefts in my area over the last month, so I called the cops. About 90 seconds later there's about 10 SCMPD officers there talking to the guys. Guys say they're doing work for the building owner and they talk to them for a good while longer and one of the guys ends up getting arrested. I'm guessing he must have had a warrant or something else since the other guys did not get arrested and were allowed to stay. I feel kind of bad that I put people doing legit work through all that hassle.

Also, now half the neighborhood is giving me the death stare (people in this area aren't exactly LEO friendly).

What do you guys think? Overreaction on my part? Potentially causing trouble for myself? What would you have done?

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I would have done the same thing.

How exactly does half the neighborhood know you were the one that reported the activity?

3. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Coming from the perspective of having lots of family in the residential real estate world right now, which includes some who represent buyers who don't always dress nicely, and others who do work for owners of vacant properties, I'd still say you did the right thing.

4. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

An officer came over to my house to talk to me

5. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I probably would have done the same thing. IF those guys were robbing the place, I think the neighbors might have had a different attitude....You saw something suspicious and you reported it. It's all good.

6. JMan

JMan New Member

No what if that warrant was from a murder,rape,robbery , etc etc ....He has it and needs to be handled , and if it wasn't for that call he would still be on the streets and in someones home working or what ever they was doing as a team.As far as the Neighbors how would they know you called as the officers don't go up to bad guys and say " Hey we got a call from dcannon1 right here in room 123 etc etc and Well What are yall doing :lol: .

But I think you did what I would have done also, and would not worry about anyone now thinking I am a snitch . I am trying to keep my neighborhood safe and if it means calling the cops again so be it. JOB WELL DONE!

But I have a Question for you, Did you have your gun out ready for something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Thanks all. The main reason I wanted to go ahead and make the call is that there have been 3 armed robberies, 2 residential burglaries (one next door to the property in question), 5 larcenies and 2 GTAs within 6 blocks over the last 4 weeks. About 75% of those happened in the morning/early afternoon. There are actually more people keeping an eye on things in the middle of the night than the middle of the day around here.

And as I mentioned the reason people know that I called is that one of the officers came over to my house to talk to me while they were still checking everything out and I'm just right across the street.

Not that I ever felt I needed it, at all, but it was asked - my Glock 26 was concealed on my hip as it always is when I'm wearing pants.

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

How often are you not wearing any pants? :lol:

You did good.

9. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

I would've done the same thing.

Sounds like you need to find a new neighborhood to live in. Do they not understand you were looking out for them?

10. JMan

JMan New Member

Or maybe you just wanted to ask the cop for a doughnut :lol: :lol:

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You, the neighbor / concerned citizen, can and should call the cops when you see something that might be suspicious, and might be legitimate.

If the guys are legit, no harm and no foul.

If they were up to no good, you're a hero. If you're wrong, you have only cost the other guys a few minutes of their time. No biggie.

Now the cops have a tougher judgment call to me. When YOU call 911 and say something looks suspicious, the cops aren't supposed to take your word for it. They're supposed to show up, of course, and try to question people, but if the people at that condo across the street from you choose not to talk and not to cooperate, the cops can't just arrest them because a neighbor said they looked suspicious. But then can do a first-tier encounter. The cops can always make notes of what they looked like, what kind of vehicle they are using, and what the license number is.

12. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

No, they don't understand that for some reason. I'm the bad guy for calling the cops around here.

I hate living here, but our rental house is very nice on the inside for the money and my GF loves living in town (Savannah), but it stresses me the F out worrying about her all the time. I'm not really concerned about myself so much as I'm a big guy and I'm always carrying.

Might have to have a talk with her about finding a new place. Would be out our deposit and 1 months rent to break the lease, but it might be worth it.

13. slammy

slammy New Member

Good Job DC!

14. JMan

JMan New Member

Wrong , They can arrest you for obstruction of justice as they are investigating suspicious activity . If they don't want to comply then they can take that free ride and tell it to the judge.

15. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

If you see something, say something.

16. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Have to agree, you made the right decision in calling the cops. I would have too. :righton:

17. fiwit

fiwit New Member

I agree with everyone else - you're the hero, not the bad guy.

18. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I would have and have done the same thing.

This past weekend I called the sheriff out at 3am for some teens rolling my neighbors house.

There have been several cars broken into (including mine) and other vandalisms to peoples property. I called the sheriff out to hopefully scare the crap out of them and maybe if one(all) of them were the ones doing the other things they would get busted.

I felt like a old fart calling out the cops for something as trivial as that, but I did it to hopefully prevent something worse from occurring.

19. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

So, I'm in an area known for criminal activity to be committed in, openly carrying a handgun. A neighbor calls and says there is a man with a gun, he looks suspicious and the cops approach me. I refuse to answer any questions or provide ID. They can arrest me for Obstruction?

see what I did there? :D

20. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Must be nice that they showed up so fast. Took APD 17 minutes to respond 2 weeks ago when a dude was breaking into cars in the lot behind my bldg.

You did the right thing.