Did I break the law tonight?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by CountryGun, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I sing tenor with the Augusta Choral Society. This evening we performed "Nine Lessons In Carols" at the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Augusta. I carried a Taurus Slim 9mm in my pocket, under my tuxedo.

Sacred Heart was decommissioned (gave up it's sanctification many years ago), and is now a cultural arts center. The concert was attended by several hundred people, but narrated by priests and pastors from the community, and interspersed with prayer. Sacred Heart is no longer a "place of worship" legally, but might have been for the moment. People from all denominations attended. There was no sermon or Eucharist. What say you all?

Saturday evening we're performing the "Messiah" at St Paul's. No confusion there. It's a church.

2. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

I would not say anything at all. :-$

3. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Unless I'm going to a courthouse or govt. building, I'm carrying. I am a law abiding citizen, but when it comes to my safety and the safety of my family I refuse to let us be victims. An unconstitutional law is not going to prohibit me from protecting myself and the ones around me. Plus, we go to church in a VERY bad neighborhood. And lets be clear, I'm not advising anyone to ignore the law. I just think life is too precious to be thawrted by a politician.

I would say you didn't break the law. If it is no longer used as a church, it is simply a building used for events. Plus, if the meeting wasn't intended to be taught the words of a religion then it is not a church meeting. I would think it would actually be in violation of the public gathering law, which is no longer in effect thanks to SB308 :D I don't think you have any worries.

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Schroedinger's Choir.

5. niadhf

niadhf New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

For my part, absolutely. I probably sing ecclesiastical works with more gusto than most.

My wife says that when I sing, I pray twice. It's not easy to explain an Atheists love for these pieces. They're just some of the greatest works of all time. I rationalize what I do by not singing the Amen. That works for me. :D

7. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

CountryGun,

I don't know if you broke the law or not, but if I were on your jury....in this particular case, I would vote not guilty.

But I know your confusion about the law. A few days ago, I stopped off at the Monastery to pick up some fudge (they make some of the best) and check out the bonsai trees. I left my firearm in my truck because I didn't know if the gift shop or green house could be considered part of the church. No doubt the sanctuary is, but I figured I had better play it safe.....stupid laws!

8. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

Did u look like James Bond....in your Tux??..... :righton:

9. GA Firing Line

GA Firing Line New Member

If you are serious, don't trust your life to a Taurus! ;)

10. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Yes, the whole church prohibition is so confusing! I have often wondered about a church office (for example: a district office) that is not located in a local church but an office building... or a retirement home that is owned by church denomination.

But a church building that has been converted into a public auditorium is something that never occurred to me! CountryGun, IANAL, but sounds like you chose wisely.

11. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Agreed. Also have to agree with Commander1911...I feel more and more this way every day too. If its concealed, no one else knows its there until I need it. And if I need it, its to save my life or my wife's. If it comes down to that, no laws matter anymore at all--because the person(s) attacking me have thrown out all the laws too. :righton:

12. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Don't gun bash. I have a taurus pt1911 and it is the most reliable weapon I've owned. Taurus might have sucked in the past but I think they got the message.

13. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with a little non-violent civil disobedience.

I practice it quite frequently.

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

No belt on a tux, so pocket carry is the last option. That's the only time "Slim" get's carried. I hate the long trigger pull.

Thanks for all the votes of reassurance. I can only hope I'd have all of you on my jury! I carry in many places that aren't legal, but it's "right". I went into the Augusta airport terminal twice over the weekend. My Colt Commander was under my coat. :sly:

15. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

To be "civil disobedience" the gun would need to be carried where it is seen in defiance of a law. Hiding a gun and carrying to an off limits location just makes you a common criminal.

16. Cagleicious

Cagleicious New Member

I have to say I agree completely, I have and still do work for a lot of churches during the week and on sunday's and I'm not gonna openly admit whether I do or don't carry in them, but I think you guys know.. I'm def not for breaking the law either but.......
    I also see these churches during the week as a Place Of Business, not the gathering place or House Of Worship that they are on Sundays, and sometimes Wednesdays. Also, I'm contract labor and am working, not attending.
    I doubt that reasoning would hold up somewhere, but that's how I see it.

17. I stand by y'alls decisions. I don't advocate breaking the law but I do advocate doing whatever you can to protect your life. Perhaps if s*** goes down, the court ruling, and possible lawsuit might be enough to get Georgia's laws overturned/removed.

18. elorei

elorei New Member

This post is 100% win.

19. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

But by observing this thread, we've changed the thread, and thus cannot know what it was originally......

moy vey, I'm going :screwy:

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

An here I was thinking he was worried that he broke the law with his singing. :shattered: