DiamondBack DB380 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by cgaengineer, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

Just picked one up a week ago. I was a bit concerned buying a pistol from a new company but brought it home anyway. I had looked at all the other offerings from Ruger, Taurus, SIG and KelTec and chose the DB380 because of its similar operation to a Glock. Fit and finish is much more refined than the Taurus or the KelTec which is another reason I chose this pistol. Though I have not put the suggested 200 rounds of ammo through it for break-in I did get a chance to fire a few (18 rounds) through it and here are my findings:

Remington White Box: 12 out of 12 fired, no failures of any type

Franklin gun Shop Ammo (Gunn Ammunition): Cant say for sure if it was the ammo, the gun or the shooter (my dad shot these rounds) but he experienced 3 failures to fire, one hard primer misfire one stove pipe and one failure to return to battery.

12 rounds of Remington white box is by no means a full test, but for a new pistol right out of the box that many say has problems I did not experience any problems with this type of ammo.

Recoil is very controllable due to the larger grip and pistol is very accurate fired from a distance of about 20 feet (all of my shots hit an 8" diameter Gatorade powder container.

Based on my limited testing I would not hesitate to suggest a closer look at this pistol for carrying. I will update this thread as I break-in the pistol. For those who own a KelTec, it maybe of interest to know that this pistol uses the same magazine design and it will interchange.

The serial number of my DB380 is the "ZC" series, it appears the "ZX" are the ones that experienced the most problems.

2. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Keep us posted, that's probably going to be my next purchase :righton:

3. mrtopher1980

mrtopher1980 New Member

Saw one of these a few months back at a shop and liked the look was wondering about peoples experience with them. Keep us posted as you have some more time with it. Made up my mind on what my next purchase will be but have been pondering one of these down the line.

4. ntech

ntech Member

I will be interested in seeing how your DB works out. I went with a Kahr P380 because I was too chicken to try the DB, with it being such a new company. I have read a lot of complaints about the DB online, but who knows how accurate they are. The one thing I did notice is on a friends DB his jams when he racks the slide manually. The cartridge gets stuck so badly he usually has to get a screwdriver to get it out. I think it has to do with how the feed ramp is designed, the round gets caught on the bottom edge of it. Keep us updated with your range reports!

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

What are the first 2 letters of the serial number on your friends pistol? I'd also advise him to send it in, DB is taking care of these pistols and getting them back quickly from what I have read.

Was I scared to buy the DB? Yeah a bit. $350 is not a ton of money, but I wouldn't throw $350 out a window either.

I am hopeful and confident that should I have problem, DB will handle it quickly. That being said, so far I am very happy with my choice and think I made the best choice of price/quality/features when I chose the DB.

6. ET.

ET. Active Member

I almost bought a DB380 in June while on vacation. But after checking into the DB380 on the internet, I went with a TCP instead. The problems that people were reporting with the Diamond Back 380 really scared me off. I liked the way it looked and felt in my hand and really wanted one. If they get all of the bugs worked out then I would revisit buying one for a bug gun. I am looking forward to your report on this gun. As far as my TCP, it has been 100% reliable & I carry it every day.

7. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

I've had one for several months; no regrets.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

How many rounds have you put through it? What's the first 2 letters of the serial number?

9. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

ZA. I've put ~700-800 rnds thru it. Learned early to not ride the side forward in the slightest when loading; if you dont let the spring do it's job, it'll jam. After break-in, feeds most anything; even Remington UMC Flat Nose. 3"-4" groups @ 10'.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

The ZA was the series I read about most having trouble, I'm glad yours is functioning flawless. I am not one to ride the slide back, I let it go forward on its own like you describe but that's a great tip for a new user of the DB.

I am very happy with my decision, if I hadn't have purchased the DB I would be unarmed due to my line of work and the weight of my Glock pulling down my shorts...my G19 was being left at home or in truck while mowing.

11. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

The Ruger LCP is another great option.

I have the satin chrome model, hasn't missed a beat yet. Accuracy is superb for such a tiny "noisy cricket", I was able to qualify with it on the first try, even kept them all in the silhouette body at 25 yards, which amazed me since the sight radius is so small and the sights are nothing great.

The DB looked real interesting, very Glock-like. Unfortunately my options were limited, the Diamondback and Keltecs are not on the department off-duty approved list.

12. ET.

ET. Active Member

Wow, they actually limit what you can carry when you are off duty? That just doesn't seem American to me!

13. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Yes, they do, but I don't have a problem with it. NYPD has had this type of policy for ages.

Not all officers are firearm aficionados, and if paying for a backup or off-duty weapon out of their own funds, some tend to make a least cost decision. These view it pretty much as just a tool, like a personally owned flashlight that they would like to have, but that the department won't pay for.

Personally, I would rather them be steered to reasonably priced used Glocks, Smiths, Springfields, etc. rather than seeing them possibly having to act in some serious off-duty situation under color of law relying on a new Jiminez or Lorcin that is cheap and light and fits in their pocket or on their ankle.

Even though it should be extremely rare, an off-duty LEO may be required to intercede in certain exigent situations occurring in his presence that are outside the realm of what the armed civilian is typically involved in.

14. mrtopher1980

mrtopher1980 New Member

When I first read (probably on here) about qualifying to carry certain off duty weapons I didn't think that made sense. But in reality you are a LEO 24/7 and I see some reason for departments to have a say in what you carry when only sort of on duty.

Guess the feedback is fairly consistent, not perfect but consistent. The jamming on initial racking I have an issue with my p3At as well, not enough for me to worry about sending it in and certainly if that was the only issue with the DB I'd keep it on my list. My P3at still seems to jam up a hair whether you assist it or not however if you assist it then you must slide it back a little and then forward, if you just let it go then its a 50% chance it will fully go forward or you just need to tap it and it snaps in place.

DB still on my list I think..

15. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Something about the DB makes me feel like it doesn't point well. But, if you guys are pretty accurate shooting it I guess it's not really an issue. It was on my short list when I was getting my deep concealment gun, but I ended up going with the Taurus TCP mainly for the Last Round Hold Open that none of the other little 380's seem to offer.

16. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

I initially had concerns over this as well; but considering my DB is my last option of last resort, I figure I wont be slapping another mag in and will just chunk it at them as I run. :shattered:

17. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

As a backup gun I might have chosen something else, but since as a deep concealment gun it's my primary carry piece and I do carry an extra mag, the TCP seemed to work well for that.