Deputy shoots, then disables himself somehow

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by NTA, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I mean East Tennessee pretty much says it all...

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I hear lots of loons down in Tn. I've never lived there but I sure hear that alot.

Nemo

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

1) opened fire without warning in a mobile home park
    2) suffered an apparent panic attack four minutes later and was forcibly disarmed by a paramedic

Well, I feel bad for the Deputy, but this clearly isn't the job for him. That's ok, it isn't the job for a lot of people, but they need to get him off the street ASAP.

4. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

That was two years ago and he's still working. And there was no mention of discipline for his partner that filed trumped up charges and a false report either.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

I've read that article a couple of times now and, if factually reported, my position still stands: there is no way that Deputy should be in the field. There is just so much wrong there. And how that couple still faces charges is amazing...

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

What in the world? The fact he's still on duty says everything about what is wrong with the system.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

What a sh!t show that was!

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I watched the video, and I still can't figure out what happened.

9. RedDawnTheMusical

Hint - watching it multiple times doesn't help. I think that he saw the person on the porch of the trailer through the trees, perceived them to be a threat, and opened fire. I don't know how he could ascertain that they were a legitimate threat that required lethal force as they don't seem very visible, but maybe he had a better viewed that is offered by the wide angel lens on the body cam (I actually though it was a pretty good body cam). However, during all of this yelling, shooting, running for cover, and subsequent yelling, the other paramedic is just standing around. He clearly sees know threat. The other paramedic on the ground doesn't seem concerned either. The only one running for cover and expressing any concern is the deputy. Of course, he has training that they don't, but most people know to run for cover at the site of a gun. These guys are standing around like they are trying to figure out what to the deputy is shooting at...

10. EJR914

The fact is that there's a chance that he could have actually hit and killed an entire family or at least one family member who were all completely unarmed, and the officer could have said that he thought he saw something in their hand, and the shooting would have been totally justified, and there would have been people, maybe even on this website, that would have came to the officers defense.

Not kidding. Its sad, but true.

11. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

If you play it in slow motion there is clearly a person on the porch. And then if you play it back and focus on ignoring the woman's yelling you can her the person, a male state loudly, "I'm recording you mother******". She then yells "Ouch" and the first shot is fired, probably 1 sec after the expletive.

In all likelyhood, he reacted as he was trained. i.e. Today is likely your last day on this planet, do whatever it takes to go home tonight. A person was holding an object, shoot them and sort it out later.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Right around 4 minutes in . . .

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLLema_Xc0[/ame]

13. EJR914

Yep, holding a cell phone recording a police officer is now considered taking lethal Force against a police officer, lethal force from the officer is authorized.