Dept of Labor Cartersville Georgia

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by MWAG, May 2, 2018.

1. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

The department of labor building in Cartersville Georgia as a no weapons sign on the front door... there is no metal detector at the door... there is however an extremely arrogant security guard inside who thinks he has the power to prohibit weapons in this government building...
    How can I have this sign removed and this security guard educated without compromising myself...

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Is it a Federal Dept. of Labor building or a GA Dept of Labor building? If Federal, he can bar you and the building is off limits. If GA then not so much.

3. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

Georgia DOL

4. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

If it were me, I would politely walk up to him with the Georgia Code on this matter printed out and in my hand, and show it to him. Explain things to him and point out simple facts. If that didn't work, I would tell him that I need to speak to his immediate supervisor right now. If he refused to put you in contact with his supervisor, or if his supervisor backed up the jackleg, then I would sic GaCarry on them.

This may not be the best way to handle it, and I often go about things the wrong way (I can be pretty condescending and insulting toward idiots and a..hats), but my way often works, while ruffling many feathers. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Nullifier likes this.
  5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Are metal detectors required or just security screening?

6. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I think there have to be metal detectors, and a real police officer.

7. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

Not necessarily a police officer but a uniformed person along with the metal detector

8. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127

There is no definition of "security personnel"

(2) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(3) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

e) (1) A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such security personnel is certified as a peace officer pursuant to Chapter 8 of Title 35; provided, however, that a license holder who immediately exits such building or immediately leaves such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of a weapon shall not be guilty of violating this subsection or paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this Code section. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

9. Glockenator

I'm pretty sure that laws are written vaguely, quite intentionally. That gives cops and courts a whole lot of latitude to screw us over, as they see fit. It's a shame that we need lawyers to figure out what should be cut & dried.

However, this seems fairly clear to me. If that DOL "guard" isn't a certified peace officer, then I believe they trying to do something quite illegal.

10. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

What makes you think he doesn't?

Just because it's not specifically a crime to enter a screened government building where the screener isn't a LEO doesn't mean they have to let you in.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Ah, government building, open to the public, not off limits for any other reason, no disturbance, only Gun Buster sign and arrogance of rent-a-cop.....that's why he can go in.

12. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

The relevant law is already posted in this thread. Cite the part you think requires a security officer to let you enter a government building to which he is restricting access.

I don't know why everyone's giving the rent-a-cop a hard time anyway. It's not like he made the policy. Why aren't y'all mad at the DOL bureaucrat who chose to waste taxpayer money on the sign and the guard?

13. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I wonder if there is a definition of "screening" that might make this more clear. Is just having a security guard considered screening, or does there have to be a more thorough TSA type process for screening?

TimBob likes this.
  14. Clark

Clark Member

The "following orders" excuse hasn't worked since at least 1946. Hold the rank and file just as accountable as higher management, then if things keep going, higher management won't find themselves with anyone to enforce their twisted will.

15. Glockenator

Kind of like what Cool Hand Luke said. Something like, "Calling it your job, boss, sure don't make it right". :mrgreen:

16. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

The bottom line is there is no metal detector at the door... it is a state government building so that means they cannot prohibit firearms...
    I think the gunbuster sign is from years past when we were prohibited from carrying in government buildings...
    Now how can I get the sign removed

17. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

The entire law is posted in this thread. There is no definition of "restricted or screened". Unless and until the law is revised, or there's a relevant decision in a court case, it means whatever someone in charge of a government building wants it to mean.

18. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Please quote the part of the law that says "metal detector".

19. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

Why you busting my ass... I'm on your side... how else is screening or restricted egress going to take place without some type of metal detector or a wand...SMDH

20. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

You know how it works in this state I don't understand why you splitting hairs