Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to ship a rifle through the USPS system and was told that 1) I had to be a dealer to ship any firearm and 2) I had to fill out a form 1508

I know both of these statements are false; I requested the rules in writing and the lady photocopied the page (badly, with text cut off) for me. The rules she showed me were clearly marked for Dealers and Manufacturers, which I was neither. I tried to explain my situation, I was trying to ship a rifle to an FFL in another state, and I had the address for it on the print off I got from the ATF ez check site. The postmaster came to reinforce the fact that I could not ship anything without being a dealer.

Pretty mad, I went home and looked online at the laws. I called the postmaster up and read him this:

"11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice. "

He did not like that one bit, in fact, he got rather pissed himself and told me to go ahead and call the ATF. I told him I did not need to I'm looking at the regulations right here, your own law instructs YOU to call, not me. He then replies stating that he knows the USPS regs, and that ATF rules are not USPS rules. I requested that he give them a call and he said that he just got off work (it was 5:01) and that he would call "his headquarters" tomorrow. I will call back and see what he his headquarters had to say. He would not even listen to who I was sending it to, or why, nothing, so when he is asked the details by his superiors or whoever, I know he cannot give them. He was convinced that no one but a dealer could ship firearms though, and that's all that mattered to him.

This was at the Tifton Post Office

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
BoHeck said:
Tried to ship a rifle through the USPS system and was told that 1) I had to be a dealer to ship any firearm and 2) I had to fill out a form 1508

I know both of these statements are false; I requested the rules in writing and the lady photocopied the page (badly, with text cut off) for me. The rules she showed me were clearly marked for Dealers and Manufacturers, which I was neither. I tried to explain my situation, I was trying to ship a rifle to an FFL in another state, and I had the address for it on the print off I got from the ATF ez check site. The postmaster came to reinforce the fact that I could not ship anything without being a dealer.

Pretty mad, I went home and looked online at the laws. I called the postmaster up and read him this:

"11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice. "

He did not like that one bit, in fact, he got rather pissed himself and told me to go ahead and call the ATF. I told him I did not need to I'm looking at the regulations right here, your own law instructs YOU to call, not me. He then replies stating that he knows the USPS regs, and that ATF rules are not USPS rules. I requested that he give them a call and he said that he just got off work (it was 5:01) and that he would call "his headquarters" tomorrow. I will call back and see what he his headquarters had to say. He would not even listen to who I was sending it to, or why, nothing, so when he is asked the details by his superiors or whoever, I know he cannot give them. He was convinced that no one but a dealer could ship firearms though, and that's all that mattered to him.

This was at the Tifton Post Office
Document everyones name and times. Then give em hell!

·
Tactical Statistician
13,595 Posts
The only thing worse than being wrong is not being able to admit it.

Make sure and follow this thing to the end. He needs to be EDUCATED.

IDIOTS.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Do follow up and then demand a letter of apology. Then post it here so we can read it !!!!! 8)

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is from GunBroker.com....and I have also shipped a number of long guns via USPS.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The information he is giving you only applies to a FFL dealer shipping a handgun. Only a FFL dealer can fill out the form 1508 and that form is retained by that PO for 1 year, so that dealer can ship as many handguns as he pleases under that blanket form.

Anyone can ship a longgun via the USPS as long as its going to a FFL licensed dealer in another state. IF its within the State of Georgia, the longun can be shipped directly to the purchaser via the USPS.

Make sure you keep a copy of the FFL's license that you are shipping the longgun to. That's to protect yourself in case of loss or the need to file a claim with the USPS.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When they showed me the spill on the 1508 form, I pointed out that it stated dealers and manufacturers must do this, not me. To that they said that only dealers and manufacturers can ship, and they must use this form. I wasn't getting anywhere with them so I left and called back with the regs in my hand, both the USPS and the ATF. He would hear none of it. We'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ty1854 said:
:lol: I just shipped a firearm via USPS last week no problems :lol:
I sent one last month no problems. Strange....

·
Registered
353 Posts
How did he know that you were mailing a firearm? They usually don't ask what is in the box.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Woody_the_Infidel said:
How did he know that you were mailing a firearm? They usually don't ask what is in the box.
That's what I was thinking. When I send stuff, they usually ask me if it's any hazardous type material or fragile or something like that. "What caliber?" is never among the questions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it was a hard rifle case, and I insured it for 1500 bucks. I went there hoping they would have a box it could go in, but they did not. They usually only ask if its liquid, or hazardous, etc, but this time she threw "rifle" in the mix. She asks this after she had put everything in the comp, and given me a total, and made me wrap it myself in post office tape. She also saw it was going to a gun shop, it was kind of obvious what it was.

I wound up going home and finding my own box, then saving 13 dollars shipping it UPS.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Man, wish I could be there when he has to admit it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well, as a Postmaster, I can tell you he was wrong. We do not deal with this very often, though, so many do not know the regs. Unfortunately, we have zillions of regs, and there is no way we can possibly know each one of them. Here is a link to the Domestic Mail Manual. Refer him specifically to section 11.3. Print it out an take it to him. Hope this helps!!

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1098069

BTW, although it is more expensive, I highly recommend sending it Registered Mail. Where in Georgia are you?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,996 Posts
learned something new

I did not know that long guns were mail-able through the United States Postal Service. I thought they could only be sent through private package delivery services. I didn't realize there was a distinction between long guns and handguns this way. I've never sent a firearm through USPS. Some twenty years ago I called them and asked about shipping an AIR RIFLE back to Crosman for warranty work, and they said NO, it would have to go by private carrier. I just took their word for it and have all my package delivery business to UPS for the next 20 years.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Re: learned something new

gunsmoker said:
I did not know that long guns were mail-able through the United States Postal Service. I thought they could only be sent through private package delivery services. I didn't realize there was a distinction between long guns and handguns this way. I've never sent a firearm through USPS. Some twenty years ago I called them and asked about shipping an AIR RIFLE back to Crosman for warranty work, and they said NO, it would have to go by private carrier. I just took their word for it and have all my package delivery business to UPS for the next 20 years.
Well, now that you know, come back and give us your revenue and support your local Gubmn't gun nuts!! :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
So... hypothetically, if an individual were to be traveling in, say, oh, I dunno, Maryland, and mails himself a shotgun (broken down, wrapped in a towel and stuffed into one of those long triangular plan roll boxes) acquired while in MD back to himself in say, oh, I dunno, Alabama ...that wouldn't be legal?

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
That would be more of an ATF question, than a USPS question. The ATF has a provision for shipping yourself a weapon, if it is legal to possess in both the originating & destination states.

Edit to add:

Some excerpts from from the source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts