Democrats Stall on Gun Bill

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1190338 ... lenews_wsj

After 32 people were shot to death at Virginia Tech in April, the new Democratic House moved quickly to close an administrative gap that allowed the killer to buy two guns despite a history of mental troubles."

"It was a rare political alliance between the National Rifle Association and its foes on the left, who together seized the moment to try to make federal background checks on gun purchasers more effective. But with students back on campus the Democratic-controlled Senate has yet to act, and the bill is in jeopardy."

"'I'm getting anxious,' says Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence. 'I get concerned that the longer we are away from Virginia Tech, folks are going to ignore the problem.'" ...

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was reading that somewhere else too. Interesting that the bill is being stalled because he wants more coverage for national LEO carry.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The problem that you helped to create?

4. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That may be, but what I think he is anxious about is losing all the political power that comes from deaths of innocent victims.

I would be downright worried that a Democrat lead House and Senate is having a hard time tring to pass even a marginally small anti-gun bill that had both Brady Bunch AND NRA support.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Would you be as worried if you lived in a state that for the first time in 130 years had a Republican lead House and Senate and Governor and is having a hard time passing even a marginally small pro-gun bill that . . .

You get the idea.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes.

However I am not so sure our Governor is all that pro-gun. It also seems that our Lt Governor wants to limit the passage of them too, or perhaps it is someone else in power in the Senate limiting the passage of only 1 progun bill a year.

Also I beleive the Cheifs of police were against that marginally small pro-gun bill as well as Georgians Against Gun Ownership.

But yes I agree and I am worried.

8. Malum Prohibitum

He was the author in the Senate of the last major pro-gun bill in this state.

9. Malum Prohibitum

From another post I made on the subject:

. . . here is what happened.

Prior to 1996, most law enforcement understood that a person in Georgia with a license could carry concealed. How else could one carry, for instance, in a purse or briefcase or other closed container? But AG Mike Bowers had other ideas. He declared in an AG opinion that one may not carry concealed but must carry openly with a license.

Governor Sonny Perdue, when he was a Senator, introduced SB 678, which added "in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing."

The news media immediately went into a frenzy (See Cynthia Tucker, Concealed Weapons: Putting Police at Risk to Please Lobbyists, Atlanta J. & Const., Mar. 20, 1996, at A16)*, declaring that this bill would endanger law enforcement, which puzzled those of us in law enforcement at the time who always assumed one could carry concealed with a license anyway and did not feel all that particularly endangered by people with firearms licenses in any event.

The bill also allowed a person with a license to carry a firearm anywhere in a vehicle.

The bill also added reciprocity to the Georgia law.

The bill also forced probate judges to issue licenses to active duty military residing but not domiciled in their county.

The act also did something about background checks for purchases requested by the GBI (adding a one day delay to what was previously instant) that I think has now changed, so I will not detail it.

According to Perdue, the NRA was heavily involved in pushing this bill and may have even initiated it.

Anyway, in sum, the words you indicate were not added then.

* And here we are 11 years later, without one single police officer having been endangered by this bill.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Boy, the AJC sure hit the nail on the head, didn't they?

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, well things must have changed once he reached the governors mansion.