Democrats at it again - "secure" guns at FFLs after business hours

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Jul 27, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Word to the wise - be very cautious of ANY article that includes "It a well-known fact..."

Congress needs to give the ATF the authority to require gun dealers to take certain basic steps to secure their inventory. A good starting place is the bill Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Ill.) introduced this week, which would require gun dealers to store guns securely after business hours and would direct the attorney general to consider regulations regarding additional security requirements

But the LASlimes goes further and openly advances this:

"There’s also more that policymakers could do to help prevent thefts from individual gun owners. Gun owners should be required — or at the very least incentivized — to lock up their guns when they are not in use. Not only would this measure help prevent theft, but it would also greatly reduce the risk of accidental shootings by curious children who find guns in their homes."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-parsons-stolen-guns-20170727-story.html

2. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

What an irrelevant statement.

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I think we should require incentivize victims of identity theft to not have credit cards and checks stolen from their mailboxes while they are at work.

Or we could make it illegal to steal guns. No, wait, that's not enough. Let's make it more illegal with enhanced penalties for stealing guns. Oh wait.

Maybe we can start fining victims of other crimes for the inconveniences they leave upon society! Maybe if we tax victimhood hard enough it'll go away entirely!

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Now you're thinking like a LibTard!!

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Such an obvious logical fallacy.

6. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I do keep all of my guns locked up securely when not in use.
    It's the smart thing to do, in my opinion. However, I do not
    think anyone should be forced to do so by law.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I agree, and also keep my weapons either on my person or locked away.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I had someone make almost the same plea on another forum, "Why don't you lock them up at the end of the day?"

He couldn't seem to grasp the amount of time it would take to individually take out, display, (wait), pick up, transport to the safe, deposit in safe so as not to hit, scratch or be hit or scratched every day. It would literally take hours for most businesses. And no return on that little investment and inevitable damage to inventory.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Especially when talking about a large store with, say, 5000 guns being displayed on counters.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Not to mention the cost for the safes (or a walk-in vault) to store them in.

11. moe mensale

And what's the plan for the state to enforce this edict?

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

The firearms are locked up - the doors are locked. The problem is where legislators think the the present situation with something is insufficient, but they know coming up with legislation to "correct" the situation wouldn't be possible (for any number of reasons, such as there is no way enough congressman would agree to pass the legislation no legislation wording could cover every situation, etc.), so they pass the buck to a federal agency - giving them the authority to draft legally binding regulations.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Not the state as in the various states but The State as in BATFE gets to inspect and approve locks, bars, barriers, etc.

14. moe mensale

No, not the ATF, the individual states. My comment was in reference to the article comment about requiring individuals to lock up their firearms.

Actually it's irrelevant. Whether it would be enforced by state or federal agents, there will be dead citizens and dead agents.