Democrat takes aim at Cap and Trade

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by TimBob, Oct 11, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Cap and Trade is a complete scam.

2. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

The biggest scam of the century so far, all nice and comfy to make Al Gore money. He ought to be indited and sent to prison along with the commies in congress that voted for it.
    Even people who provided data have said they made a mistake and the info is wrong are being ignored by Al and his people even after the data was proved wrong. Then there was the e-mails where data providers were exposed to providing data to fit the agenda. All this went quiet in the media when Obama was elected.
    Obama goes right along with it as if were true and he knows it's not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Duck Dodgers > Regular Daffy

[​IMG]

Even as a believer in climate change and a liberal, I am still against Cap and Trade. It is a ridiculous solution to the problem.

4. EJR914

There is no doubt that climate change is real. We've had huge times of heating and cooling in this world. Ice Ages, ect.

But do you believe that climate change is man-made through CO2 emissions? That's really where the rubber meets the road.

5. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I'll put it this way. Are larger forces at work than what man's contribution to the climate? Sure. But I believe that the case that is made that we have enough influence to be the difference between a good and bad outcome for us is compelling.

However, Cap and Trade is not the solution. Honestly, I'm not sure there is a viable one, and certainly not one the government could or should regulate through economic policy. I think the idea of reducing our "carbon footprint" is unrealistic. It's like asking someone to go back to using snail mail after using e-mail, people don't want to take steps backwards. I think the better idea is to attempt to understand the climate so that we have even greater control over it. And frankly, there's a sufficient economic incentive to being able to control the weather that private industry will take care of that just fine without government help.

6. EJR914

I agree with you about Cap and Trade, it simple allows for companies to be taxed and "buy themselves" a license to produce more of these deadly CO2 gas.

Since there are so many humans on this earth, and all of us produce CO2 as part of breathing, do you think we should all just hold our breathes? I mean, since we all produce this deadly CO2 gas that is attributing so much global warming.

How about the global cooling that has occurred? Is that because of the "green house gases" that we produce as well? Wouldn't that directly slap the correlation behind the production of CO2 and global warming right in the face?

Even after the "ClimateGate" story broke, and we now have proof that scientist are lying about Global warming, you are still going to stand by their faulty data? Even after they've found these global warming temperature gauges inside boxes with a light bulb inside of it, you're still going to believe the evidence? Even after top scientist in the world are coming out and refuting global warming, you still believe it? Even after Climate Change denying scientist are being railroaded by their profession and governments, their lives turned upside down, for daring to question the "official data and story," you still believe this psuedo-science?

I'm sorry, but if you really believe that the small amount of CO2 that we create as humans is actually having an effect on global climate changes then there is very little that we can agree on about it.

If CO2 is so dangerous to us and this world, shouldn't we do something to reduce the amount of humans on the earth, since we all produce this gas every time we breath? I mean if it is really going to cause the destruction of the earth.

Sorry, I don't buy it, and I'm a little shocked that you would buy this myth and pseudo science as well. If you can't see that this is all being falsefully manufactured for a desired result, then there is very little that we are going to agree on.

Just take a look at our science czar Holdren, and some of his buddies in our government. See what their plans are for this country.

7. groats

groats New Member

Are human activities affecting the earth? Of course.
    But selling pollution credits isn't going to help.

What will work? There's only one thing:
    Reducing the population by 80 - 90%.

Environmentalists should be fighting each other for the opportunity to be a part of this "voluntary reduction in force". But the line seems awful short, so far.

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Straw man, no one here suggested that CO2 from breathing is significant to climate change, harmful, or that we should stop. Let's not resort to straw man attacks please.

You missed my point. It's pointless to debate whether limiting CO/CO2 is the solution, because you're not going to be able to do so effectively. Why even explore options that are unrealistic? Most of the choices people in theory *could* make to reduce carbon emissions aren't going to happen, so why try and force a square peg into a round hole? Too many of the solutions environmentalists peddle is to force people to change their way of life. Simply put, that's poorly thought out and simply doesn't work.

Instead, it's better to focus on advancing technology that gives us the ability to better our current way of life, because there is generally more private financial incentive to doing so, and requires no government interference.

As far as "ClimateGate" and all that conspiracy theory stuff goes, have you actually looked into both sides of the issue? The anti-global warming people who wrote for their position took so much of that stuff out of context it's sort of ridiculous. Really at the end of the day it just reinforced what both sides wanted to believe. I'm sorry, but the idea that the vast majority of climate scientists have come together in a massive conspiracy to deceive the public about climate change is really far fetched.

Besides, what does it matter what I believe about climate change if I have come to the same conclusion as your side of the issue, that there's no need to do anything to reduce carbon emissions?

9. EJR914

I understand that nobody here is arguing that we stop breathing, but just for the sake of discussion, our science czar, Holdren has discussed such things. Some very far fetched things, such as reducing fertility and reducing the population. This is a man in our own government. Some other in our government are talking about telling us which appliances and electronics we really need in our homes, and others are talking about making the evil rich people in the U.S. poorer as a whole, so that we will not use as much electricity, because the production of this electricity adds Global Warming pollutants.

You can call it a conspiracy theory all that you want, but when it comes down to it, how have Global Warming denying scientist been treated? That right there is enough to show me that they are afraid of anyone who would actually come and speak out against the "official data and story."

I know for a fact right now that they are teaching our very young children, aged 10, that if we do not reduce our carbon footprint that the world is going to end in the near future. My wife's step-brother comes home everyday saying such things.

I'm all for recycling and such things, but I really do no see any need to reduce the amount of CO2 we produce.

Now other pollutants, poisonous compounds, and toxins that produced by companies certainly need to be watched, but I fear nothing from CO2.

Yes, I have looked at all the data from both sides of argument.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Also known as Cap and Con.

11. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Do you mean that stuff which trees and grass and plants need to survive? :D

What do you mean, "even greater"? :lol: