Del ton arms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fflintlock, Nov 20, 2010.

1. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

http://www.del-ton.com/

Anyone ever delt with these folks, and how is the quality ?
    I want to build an AR and was looking around their site, as a possibility.
    Thanks

2. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I've used several of their uppers with no complaints.

They were very nice to deal with back in the shortage at election time.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Nice folks but cheap low end parts. Yeh they work fine for plinkers. Don't buy one if you are thinking about taking a few high volume of fire carbine classes or competition shooting.

4. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

People will say they're low end because their prices are low, but at the end of the day people really can't point out anything wrong with them for non-competition uses except that "they're cheap" which isn't a real reason.

Now, is it going to give you a 3" group at 400 yards all day long? Maybe not, it's not a Match grade rifle after all, but unless you're buying a rifle for competition shooting or your self defense needs include being able to pick off assailants at 300+ yards for extended periods of time, it's fine for any other purpose.

5. robfromga

robfromga New Member

I've got a complete that's about 3 years old. Never had a problem and has at least 5k on the round count.

6. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I built a "cheap" AR15 off one of their kits once. I used all kinds of surplus, cheap, Russian, whatever ammo and it never had a problem. And that was with $5 busted up AR mags. It certainly worked well enough for my purposes.

7. freeman101

freeman101 New Member

I have never had a problem from my Del-Ton AR. If I was about to head to Iraq, I would be more than happy to take it with me to battle.

8. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I would have much rather taken my Del-Ton with me to Iraq than the M16A2 they issued me, lol.

9. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Mine is pretty new; 400 rounds or so over the past two years. No issues so far though.

10. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

Last time I checked a $400 Rock Island Armory 1911 shoots a .45 the same direction and speed as a $3,000 Nighthawk custom 1911.

Same concept. I'm about to build another "budget" AR and DELTON is perfect.

ps: wish I had more money than I knew what to do with :(

11. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Next thing I know y'all will be telling me your Hyundai is just as good as a Honda. Yes they'll both get you from point A to Point B. One brand has a proven track record of high reliability and retained value backed by millions of production examples. The other can be bought dirt cheap new and even cheaper used. They have a proven track record of being average to unreliable cars with peeling paint and craptacular trade in value.

Del Ton uses commercial spec buffer tubes which are weaker than mil Spec tubes, inferior 4140 steel instead of 4150 for their barrels. They claim they properly stake their gas keys but the four or five examples I've seen were not right. If you take one of their charging handles, a common point of failure on Stoner rifles btw, and a Colt, LMT, or BCM charging handle you will immediately see the differences. The Del Ton is thinner and usually made from weaker extruded 6061 series aluminum alloy versus forged 7075 series in the higher quality rifles. I could go on to list more substandard parts they use but why bother. They're just as good as... right?

QC and testing is another place that Del Ton short the consumer to deliver a cheaper product. As far as I can tell they do no proof testing of their barrels or bolts. They don't even batch magnaflux (MPI) anything or shot peen their bolts. Colt & BCM test every single rifle they build. Can Del Ton build a good rifle without all that testing? Yes. Can Del Ton guarantee with a high degree of certainty that every rifle will be of the same consistently high quality? No way.

If you have a Del Ton rifle and it's been a good shooter great. I'm happy for you. However, do not try to tell me it is just as good as XYZ top tier brand rifle. It ain't, not qualitatively or quantitatively value wise.

12. SMC_Nubby

SMC_Nubby Member

Precisely.

Before I knew anything about AR's (not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination now) I bought a Del-Ton M4 upper to put on my RRA lower. After doing a lot of research, I have found what Cool Hand has to say to be the case. For my purposes, it is a fair gun, but I certainly would not take it anywhere I'd have to use it in a defensive/offensive scenario. Case in point; after 100 rounds at the range I took the rifle home and cleaned it only to find the gas key loose. I have no clue how many rounds away from a malfunction that would require a lot of attention I was. In the field of battle I would NEVER rely on that rifle unless I absolutely had to. A properly built and staked bolt carrier group (ie Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Lewis Machine & Tool, Colt, Noveske) would not have that problem because each bcg is built, staked and tested individually and not in the batch process that RRA, DPMS, Oly, Bushmaster or Del-Tons use.

Here's the thing, you don't have to drop a considerable amount of coin to have a well-built AR/M4. You can get a BCM or DD for right at $1K, which is only a couple hundred more than the lower end rifles. We're not talking about the astronomical price differences between a RIA and Custom 1911. IMO, it would have been better if I would have save an extra month in order to get the BCM.

Buy cheap, buy twice (but if you're in the market we can talk ;))

13. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

Amen. I just like my uppers with full-auto rated parts....in case I win a lottery and buy me a full-auto lower. :p

14. juju151

juju151 Member

There's nothing wrong with a Del-Ton rifle.

I've got a few, and not a bit of trouble with any of them...I'd trust my life with them any day of the week.

If all the talk about "cheap" rifles makes you nervous, then here's what you do...

Buy 2 of them! That's right, just buy 2 Del-Ton ARs, and you'll still have less money in them than if you would have bought a "High End" AR...and if one breaks, just pick up the other one.

Problem Solved! :shattered:

15. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Del-ton, work good, last long time.

16. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

I came across the website from another site and was wandering if they were at least reliable. I had entertained the idea of building an AR. I've also noticed quit a few of them are selling for 600.00, I've even seen the M&P's at this price. So it may actually be better to buy one now instead of building one. I just don't have that 1000.00 bill laying around here any where. I still may wind up building one and it may take awhile, but at least it will be just what I want, instead of someone else's idea or headache.
    Thanks for the feed back, folks.