Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.del-ton.com/

Anyone ever delt with these folks, and how is the quality ?
I want to build an AR and was looking around their site, as a possibility.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Nice folks but cheap low end parts. Yeh they work fine for plinkers. Don't buy one if you are thinking about taking a few high volume of fire carbine classes or competition shooting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
People will say they're low end because their prices are low, but at the end of the day people really can't point out anything wrong with them for non-competition uses except that "they're cheap" which isn't a real reason.

Now, is it going to give you a 3" group at 400 yards all day long? Maybe not, it's not a Match grade rifle after all, but unless you're buying a rifle for competition shooting or your self defense needs include being able to pick off assailants at 300+ yards for extended periods of time, it's fine for any other purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
I've got a complete that's about 3 years old. Never had a problem and has at least 5k on the round count.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I built a "cheap" AR15 off one of their kits once. I used all kinds of surplus, cheap, Russian, whatever ammo and it never had a problem. And that was with $5 busted up AR mags. It certainly worked well enough for my purposes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I have never had a problem from my Del-Ton AR. If I was about to head to Iraq, I would be more than happy to take it with me to battle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
freeman101 said:
I have never had a problem from my Del-Ton AR. If I was about to head to Iraq, I would be more than happy to take it with me to battle.
I would have much rather taken my Del-Ton with me to Iraq than the M16A2 they issued me, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,200 Posts
Some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

Last time I checked a $400 Rock Island Armory 1911 shoots a .45 the same direction and speed as a $3,000 Nighthawk custom 1911.

Same concept. I'm about to build another "budget" AR and DELTON is perfect.

ps: wish I had more money than I knew what to do with :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Next thing I know y'all will be telling me your Hyundai is just as good as a Honda. Yes they'll both get you from point A to Point B. One brand has a proven track record of high reliability and retained value backed by millions of production examples. The other can be bought dirt cheap new and even cheaper used. They have a proven track record of being average to unreliable cars with peeling paint and craptacular trade in value.

Del Ton uses commercial spec buffer tubes which are weaker than mil Spec tubes, inferior 4140 steel instead of 4150 for their barrels. They claim they properly stake their gas keys but the four or five examples I've seen were not right. If you take one of their charging handles, a common point of failure on Stoner rifles btw, and a Colt, LMT, or BCM charging handle you will immediately see the differences. The Del Ton is thinner and usually made from weaker extruded 6061 series aluminum alloy versus forged 7075 series in the higher quality rifles. I could go on to list more substandard parts they use but why bother. They're just as good as... right?

QC and testing is another place that Del Ton short the consumer to deliver a cheaper product. As far as I can tell they do no proof testing of their barrels or bolts. They don't even batch magnaflux (MPI) anything or shot peen their bolts. Colt & BCM test every single rifle they build. Can Del Ton build a good rifle without all that testing? Yes. Can Del Ton guarantee with a high degree of certainty that every rifle will be of the same consistently high quality? No way.

If you have a Del Ton rifle and it's been a good shooter great. I'm happy for you. However, do not try to tell me it is just as good as XYZ top tier brand rifle. It ain't, not qualitatively or quantitatively value wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
CoolHand said:
Next thing I know y'all will be telling me your Hyundai is just as good as a Honda. Yes they'll both get you from point A to Point B. One brand has a proven track record of high reliability and retained value backed by millions of production examples. The other can be bought dirt cheap new and even cheaper used. They have a proven track record of being average to unreliable cars with peeling paint and craptacular trade in value.

Del Ton uses commercial spec buffer tubes which are weaker than mil Spec tubes, inferior 4140 steel instead of 4150 for their barrels. They claim they properly stake their gas keys but the four or five examples I've seen were not right. If you take one of their charging handles, a common point of failure on Stoner rifles btw, and a Colt, LMT, or BCM charging handle you will immediately see the differences. The Del Ton is thinner and usually made from weaker extruded 6061 series aluminum alloy versus forged 7075 series in the higher quality rifles. I could go on to list more substandard parts they use but why bother. They're just as good as... right?

QC and testing is another place that Del Ton short the consumer to deliver a cheaper product. As far as I can tell they do no proof testing of their barrels or bolts. They don't even batch magnaflux (MPI) anything or shot peen their bolts. Colt & BCM test every single rifle they build. Can Del Ton build a good rifle without all that testing? Yes. Can Del Ton guarantee with a high degree of certainty that every rifle will be of the same consistently high quality? No way.

If you have a Del Ton rifle and it's been a good shooter great. I'm happy for you. However, do not try to tell me it is just as good as XYZ top tier brand rifle. It ain't, not qualitatively or quantitatively value wise.
Precisely.

Before I knew anything about AR's (not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination now) I bought a Del-Ton M4 upper to put on my RRA lower. After doing a lot of research, I have found what Cool Hand has to say to be the case. For my purposes, it is a fair gun, but I certainly would not take it anywhere I'd have to use it in a defensive/offensive scenario. Case in point; after 100 rounds at the range I took the rifle home and cleaned it only to find the gas key loose. I have no clue how many rounds away from a malfunction that would require a lot of attention I was. In the field of battle I would NEVER rely on that rifle unless I absolutely had to. A properly built and staked bolt carrier group (ie Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Lewis Machine & Tool, Colt, Noveske) would not have that problem because each bcg is built, staked and tested individually and not in the batch process that RRA, DPMS, Oly, Bushmaster or Del-Tons use.

Here's the thing, you don't have to drop a considerable amount of coin to have a well-built AR/M4. You can get a BCM or DD for right at $1K, which is only a couple hundred more than the lower end rifles. We're not talking about the astronomical price differences between a RIA and Custom 1911. IMO, it would have been better if I would have save an extra month in order to get the BCM.

Buy cheap, buy twice (but if you're in the market we can talk ;))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
SMC_Nubby said:
Here's the thing, you don't have to drop a considerable amount of coin to have a well-built AR/M4. You can get a BCM or DD for right at $1K, which is only a couple hundred more than the lower end rifles. We're not talking about the astronomical price differences between a RIA and Custom 1911. IMO, it would have been better if I would have save an extra month in order to get the BCM.
Amen. I just like my uppers with full-auto rated parts....in case I win a lottery and buy me a full-auto lower. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a Del-Ton rifle.

I've got a few, and not a bit of trouble with any of them...I'd trust my life with them any day of the week.

If all the talk about "cheap" rifles makes you nervous, then here's what you do...

Buy 2 of them! That's right, just buy 2 Del-Ton ARs, and you'll still have less money in them than if you would have bought a "High End" AR...and if one breaks, just pick up the other one.

Problem Solved! :shattered:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,148 Posts
Del-ton, work good, last long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I came across the website from another site and was wandering if they were at least reliable. I had entertained the idea of building an AR. I've also noticed quit a few of them are selling for 600.00, I've even seen the M&P's at this price. So it may actually be better to buy one now instead of building one. I just don't have that 1000.00 bill laying around here any where. I still may wind up building one and it may take awhile, but at least it will be just what I want, instead of someone else's idea or headache.
Thanks for the feed back, folks.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top