DeKalb violating the law...

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by GAGunOwner, Feb 27, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I hate DeKalb.

Do they still have those stupid signs on the desks "Please do not lean on the desk"... it almost begs for a leaning, lol.

The only thing they gave me outside of the paperwork as a little 3" x 1" piece of paper with the public gathering law on it... complete with font mix ups and obviously copied and non-spell checked language. I should take a pic of the back of my GFL... it looks like a third grader typed it.

Reginald Prince is the guy they should talk to if they inquire as to their status over the phone. (404) 371-4900. He'll tell you where your permit is in the process... at the judge, approved, awaiting mailing, etc.... I dealt with him and he did his job well.. the other girl... Dyana.. she won't help at all. IMO she's a drone and doesn't give two blanks about you. That's probably who you met there.

If it goes over 60 days or you have issues, contact Gretchen Landau, Operations Manager, (404) 371-2596. She was more than willing to listen to my complaints when I went through my DeKalb process. Of course, be respectful. You can make an appointment with the probate judge through her. She'll most likely solve your problem before it gets that far though.

Last I saw on this board, DeKalb was issuing permits relatively quickly, so keep us updated!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

3. Malum Prohibitum

What!?!

I think that this judge might be in need of education.

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I actually dropped in on Sheila at the "Pistol License" desk in DeKalb yesterday for a quick chat.

Let her know it'd been 80 some odd days, she gave me the six month line. Asked her where it was, she said they were just waiting on the "mental health" status to come back on me, and those were expected (in a batch) next week.

All in all, I've had a great experience with Sheila personally. She offered to call me when it came in so I could pick it up or decide if I wanted it mailed. She's never given me any gruff even when I make smart ass (smiling) remarks like, "Well, the law says 60 days, so I'm going to start bugging you a few times a week starting on day 61!" (after she told me 6 months).

I've told her I didn't want to be too much of a bother (ok, that was an outright lie) by bugging her repeatedly, at which she responded, "Don't worry honey, it's not a bother, I get paid to be helpful to you." (As close to verbatim as I could get it). I nearly wet myself after hearing that out of a public employee.

5. qre2457

qre2457 New Member

What power does the clerk have in speeding up the process? If the judge says no to temporary permits, they are stuck there. If the judge refuses to do things faster, they are stuck as well. I wonder if they are as much a victim of the process as we are. I would hate to be a probate court clerk, because I would know the person had a legit reason to complain to me but I have no power to help.

6. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

To some extent I agree with you. But, they can have more influence than one may suspect, especially when there is only one person that accepts that app in a county. By helping you, she can make her life a little easier and get rid of you :) . I suspect there are a number of judges that are totally out of the box crazy, but I would also surmise that there's a good portion of the anti's that know the only way they can delay issuance and not get their pee-pees whacked too hard is by "administrative hell."

Bottom line, being nice to the clerk can make the difference between a 110 day issuance and a 180 day issuance, and that's enough for me to sweet talk her.

7. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

When DeKalb says "6 months" they are not kidding. Seriously, they make you wait six months. My son applied mid May and rec'd license mid Oct.

Disgusting but true

8. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

At the rate they're moving, I'll end up needing to change my address before it shows up.

9. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

this is same info I just posted in "General GFL Questions" but since it deals with DeKalb County, I will also post here. Mods can delete if they think it is redundant (and my apologies if so)

Good friend applied for renewal in DeKalb on 12/28/06 and finally received license on 3/26/07. Upon checking renewal date on license, the license was renewed on 1/10/07 - 13 DAYS after application. It was not mailed until about 3/24 (approx).

Two questions:
    -If issued on 1/10, why did it take 60+ days to get in mail??
    -Since process is the same for new applications as renewals (under the new law) why does DeKalb keep holding to the "six months" figure when they can obviously renew in 13 days?

Hmmm...... :shakehead:

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

They were sitting on it.

Because they are dirty effing liars.

11. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I like to tell the truth. Often as bluntly as possible.

:D

13. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I had the same problem in DeKalb. I was told I was approved on Aug XX. I waited until Sep XX and still no GFL. I went there in person and was informed that GFL's were routinely held at the Decatur post office for up to 3 months after issuance.

I went to the post office and asked them. Of course, they had no idea and assured me that they were NOT holding my mail. I found it hard to believe that all mail would be delivered rain, snow or hail... except for GFL's.

I went back and got the run around from the clerk.

Like I said earlier, If it goes over 60 days or you have issues, contact Gretchen Landau, Operations Manager, (404) 371-2596. She handled it for me. Even if your buddy got his GFL, I would complain anyways. If they don't hear anything, they'll never change.

Just a final note... after I raised my big stink with DeKalb, they printed and laminated my license right in front of me. Coincidence or not, when they did it, there was a 6 inch stack of GFL's the clerk was stuffing into envelopes at the same time. (my proudest moment). DeKalb is apparently still holding them as long as possible. :x Don't just take it... yell your :censored: off and send them copies of the law as seen on this website.

14. Malum Prohibitum

So you, too, can hear this:

15. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I would use the lexis-nexis site, they are the official site for GA correct?

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Does Gretchen Landau have an office at the probate court? I'd much rather take some time and drop in on her than call if possible.

98 Days.

18. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Well, apparently no need to visit Gretchen in person... Left a message, she called me back within 45m, ran down Sheila, and then returned me an answer less than 30m after that. Even better, she gave me a firm deadline on when I can harass her directly about this (noon tomorrow.)

HHS is supposedly going to fax the "we don't have any negative documentation on LSU_nonleg" paper to Sheila. Assuming this gets resolved tomorrow and I pick up my shiny permit at 12:15, what is the tactful, productive way to remind them that they don't need explicit clearance from any of these agencies, just the implicit clearance generated by a lack of negative determination?