DeKalb update - 50 days

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by GoDores, Nov 25, 2017.

1. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I actually logged on tonight to complain about DeKalb being behind again, but thought I should check my mailbox just in case, and what do you know - my new license was there! The license was the only thing in the envelope - they tape it to the window such that the name and address on the license show through the window and act as the mailing address.

I applied on 10/5. In and out very quickly, and the one concern I had (that my previous license was issued in Fulton and they wouldn’t accept that as a renewal) wasn’t a problem. No new fingerprints and they offered the temporary without me even asking.

The new license is dated 11/9. It showed up today. No way of knowing how much of that 15 days is due to DeKalb and how much is due to USPS, but based on past experience with USPS I’ll charge them with at least 5 days of that delay and say that DeKalb was basically in compliance with the law. I’m actually fairly impressed, and very proud of GCO and its members for making that happen.

Adam5 likes this.
  2. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

They're into mind reading now.

Doesn't sound very efficient for large volumes. The cost of custom envelopes vs. clerical labor $$. They could use drivers license envelopes.

Was there a postmark date on the envelope? I wonder what is in that delay? Taping it to the window? Do they QC the information one last time? They always have had a large delay between issue date and mailing it. Seems pre-dating the issue date would be in order.

3. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Judge Rosh's office told me they wait to mail them as long as possible in order to give the maximum amount of time for the mental health records to come in. They said they've had mental health reports come in with incidents after the GWL has been mailed.

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, DeKalb worked hard on having a reputation for delaying and putting up hurdles. If they are going to hold on to the license until the legal limit, they should date the issuance accordingly.

On another note, with all the arm waving over "gun violence", I find the shockingly lackadaisical effort put forward on the mental health side of the problem telling. Almost to the point of intentional. One would think the mental health facilities doing the reporting would be expediting the return of this information and maybe they are, but DeKalb has always included it in their reason for delay. Mental health, the latest excuse not to address. Much like the vast number of Bloomberg groups that are happy to use suicide numbers in "gun violence", but offer no help to the mental issues associated with suicides. None, zero! No, mental health is the new excuse to use. Watch for it.

5. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I did check the postmark and it was dated Nov. 22. So 48 days after application. (And the USPS got it to me in two days, one of which was Thanksgiving.) What's special about mental health records that they don't come in instantly with the rest of the background check?

FYI, Judge Rosh retired last year. Bedelia Hargrove is the current DeKalb probate judge. I don't know her.

6. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I was told this by her staff about five years ago.

7. AndrewT

AndrewT New Member

I'm already at 47 days and, when I called, the probate court said that the FBI hadn't returned background check results yet. Of course, they have...took all of 20 seconds.