Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site but it looks very informative. I have had a Georgia firearms license for many years. My current license expires in May 2011. I called the Dekalb Police department to schedule an appointment to be finger printed and was told by the officer I could come in on April 15, 2011 at 2:15PM two months down the road. I was really surprised as in the past I just walked in and got printed with all the stippers and tow car operators. I am interested in doing what ever I can to get this fixed.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
The tow truck operators and strippers can just show up and get printed....anytime......GWL's call for appointment.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Q: Do I need an appointment for fingerprinting?
A: Fingerprinting for gun permits requires an appointment; you may call the Permits Unit to schedule (404-294-2209). All other fingerprinting is “walk-in†between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (you must arrive at the Permits office with your cards completed and checked-in before 4:00 p.m.).

Source: http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/dk_police/pol-permits.html

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
The specific issues with DeKalb are as follows:

DeKalb PD requires an appointment for GWL fingerprinting, but if you need fingerprinting done to sell alcohol, get a taxi permit, or an adult entertainment permit, you do not need an appointment and can walk on in. They are going to have hard a time selling a judge on the appointment requirement based on anything because there are three other permits that get issued with fingerprints on the spot. Also a party to that is that DeKalb PD has 30 days to return results to the probate court and that timer starts within 5 days of you filling out the application. Given that you have been presented with an April date, they are not in compliance with state law.

DeKalb probate has 10 days to issue your permit once they hear back from DeKalb PD. They do not do this and are not in compliance with state law. The explanation given is that they are waiting for the mental health check to return, but no other counties experience such delays.

There are many people working on these issues for the last year or so and options not involving a lawsuit are just about exhausted.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I don't say this to brag or make anyone mad, but here in Pickens County I had my permit in my hand(still warm) in about 47 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just sent a letter complaining to the Attorney General about the situation with regard to being finger printed in Dekalb County. I am not expecting anything to be forthcoming from the attorney generals office. I do intend to keep pestering them until they give me an answer.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
unhappyindekalb said:
I just sent a letter complaining to the Attorney General about the situation with regard to being finger printed in Dekalb County. I am not expecting anything to be forthcoming from the attorney generals office. I do intend to keep pestering them until they give me an answer.
As far as the PD, you may want to start with the chief, the DeKalb CEO.

Your state legislators may be helpful for probate issues and that may or may not be related to their stance on 2A issues.

Either way, please PM Teeter, he would be really interested to talk to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I have faxed letters to the Dekalb Police Chief, CEO Burrell Ellis, and to Governor Nathan Deal with regard to the finger printing issue in Dekalb County. Earlier I did the same to the State Attorney General.

·
68,519 Posts
45_Fan said:
There are many people working on these issues for the last year or so and options not involving a lawsuit are just about exhausted.
One thing I have not noticed is what action the DeKalb County Commission took on this issue. If you have the information handy, would you mind providing a link?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Sounds like the PD fingerprinting can be solved with some pressure.
Not so sure about influencing the elected Probabe Judge short of a lawsuit.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
JMJ2 said:
45_Fan said:
As far as the PD, you may want to start with the chief, the DeKalb CEO.
Anyone have an email address for the DKPD chief ?
No e-mail address, but I have his snail-mail address - it's

Chief William O’Brien
DeKalb County Police Department
1960 West Exchange Place
Tucker, Georgia 30084

He's passed the fingerprint appointment issue off to several folks in the DeKalb PD Support Services Division to handle - namely Assistant Chief Dale Holmes, Captain Ron Eunice, and Major Karen Anderson. JRM and I have been in touch will all of them, and they keep telling us they'd like to sit down and discuss this. When we have pressed them for a date to meet, their response was that the DeKalb Law Office was reviewing O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 regarding the legality of their position - that was on December 27, 2010. JRM sent Major Anderson an e-mail on January 26, 2011, reiterating that we haven't yet seen a date to meet, and that it's been seven (7) months since his letter to DeKalb PD requesting the discontinuance of its illegal fingerprint appointment policy. We'll try yet one more time to meet with them and seek an amicable resolution, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

Still, I couldn't hurt to send him a letter . . . I've already sent him two.

Teeter

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="45_Fan":3v8juwi7]There are many people working on these issues for the last year or so and options not involving a lawsuit are just about exhausted.
One thing I have not noticed is what action the DeKalb County Commission took on this issue. If you have the information handy, would you mind providing a link?[/quote:3v8juwi7]Correct. I have not heard of an effort through the commissioners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts