DeKalb Package Store Experience

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting incident.

This is another reason why I took it upon myself to make a card (the same size as a business card) that lists the carry laws of Georgia and the GA AGs unofficial opinion about what is a public gathering. There is some additional info on there, but I won't tip my hand just yet.

It is something I am refining, and when I feel it is finished I am going to submit it to GS1 to see if he would want to have it on his site.

------------

Back to your story. I find that when you say something to the effect of "according to Georgia Code 16-11-126 X, Y, and Z." people tend to get that that look like "oh, he must know what he is talking about."

Not to MMQB you, but I probably would have done two things differently. I would have told him that I wouldn't mind him calling the police, because then they can show him the Georgia code. And I would have told him about this site.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Print out O.C.G.A. 16-11-127, highlight in bright, bright yellow five words, the "for consumption on the premises" language, and hand it to him while spending some money and smiling.

And make sure your friend is along, so that you do not get thrown out! :D

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ah, I overlooked that it was in Dekalb. Never mind my comment about the cops. That would not be prudent in that county.

4. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Have not been in that situation yet,I'm sure it will arise though, law of probability and all. I'd like to think that my response would be along the lines of.
    "Please do call the police, or if you like I can take my money elsewhere and spend it."

of course it would be in a non-confrontational way, and with my trademarked disarming smile :wink:

I do think that you handled it properly though. He just needs a refresher on Georgia Code.

5. Taler

Taler New Member

Nice story and positive ending GAGO.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would have pulled out my GFL and showed him the back of it. Mine has the statute written on the back, including the "Consumption on the premises part".

http://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl.php

7. Malum Prohibitum

I hope you spent some money.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Well done GAGunOwner.

Did you tell him about GPDO and GCO?

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

This reminds me, I need to make copies of the laws. Hrm, I'm glad I have free printing through the school. I wonder of the unofficial opinions are on Lexis or Westlaw.

10. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

my GFL has the laws on the back of the card do they not all have this?.....what about going to the mall would this be considred a "public gathering" if somone was carrying yestrday maybe they could have killed that guy before he shot all those people.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It should have the public gathering law on the back.
    The AG says that malls are not public gatherings, but that a restaruant that serves alcohol or church inside it is.

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

didn't a woman recently sue Marta for her rape? she claims since there was no marta police there to help her it was their fault and i believe she won....i wonder if she was carrying if that would have happend....? I will not ride marta because they we are not allowed to carry

13. Malum Prohibitum

It is on page two http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1407 but the rest is worth reading.