DeKalb GFL in 3 months

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by foshizzle, Sep 20, 2006.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Applied 6/23. Approved 8/22. Received 9/20.

Of course, this wasn't without some work on my part. I know a few people have posted that 'bugging' the probate won't help, or may make it worse, but I'm not that kind of person. My mentality is that if I'm going to obey the law then so is the probate... so I went on my own little campaign to make sure I got what I paid for within the timeframe given by law. Your mileage may vary... they MAY decide to screw you over! Hopefully my experience woke up DeKalb probate that some people aren't going to stand by and accept the "6 month" party line.

Excuse me if I'm long winded... I have a lot of time invested in this whole thing and I talk too much anways... which is most likely my problem.

The application process is straight forward and outlined well in the county section of this website. My only advice is to check the paperwork after they print it for you to sign. I had to give my back about 5 times for little errors like name and address spellings. Of course, neither my name or address is simple... but check it line by line.

After 1, 1.5 and 2 months passed, I went there, in person to ask how it was going. I think I said I was there on business and wanted to check while i was in the area. It was approved roughly 60 days after I applied... so I recommend going in about 2 months 1 week (at the minimum) after you apply. The probate (understandably), doesn't like to give out personal info on the phone, which is why I went in person. They may tell you if it's "active" or not over the phone... that means it's been signed. OK... the clock starts there when it's been approved. They "SHOULD" tell you this info in person for sure.

The big problem I had was after it was approved (8/22), it was mailed 8/25. I figured 3 or 4 days but it never came. I waited a week, two weeks and went back in person again. Got the line that the mail was slow.. which I didn't buy. Finally, went as high as I could and after 3 weeks, I got it. My whole situation with the mailing is outlined in this thread:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1028

Just a few other useful observations:

Get the electronic prints!! They come back fast. I'm not afraid to admit it, but I have a prior misdemeanor and I got a letter from the probate asking for disposition on it about 3 weeks after I applied. That means that the background is NOT the holdup.

To save yourself the time, if you have something that may throw up a flag (this is government, everything throws up a flag), attach some court documentation that lists the disposition of your offense. You can get copies for a small fee from the court. In this case, I think better safe than sorry.

Stop in the court, in person and see how things are going. If you are happy to check the mailbox for 6 months and be dissapointed every day, then more power to you. If you are wondering why it's taking so long... drop by and say hello. Just say you were in the building on business and wanted to see how your permit was progressing while you were there. Toss a big smile and they'll look it up. If they say they mailed it and it's been a month... PM me... or else try to get an appt with the judge. Just be professional and keep the high ground.

The real sad thing, and what really made me post this, was that my permit number was under 1500. I assume they use a sequential numbering scheme. So, I applied after mid-year, and at that rate, only 3,000 people will get permits in DeKalb this year. It's a HUGE county!!! Just check wsbtv.com every day and you'll join me in thinking that an armed public will put off a few of these criminals who run rampant over here. DeKalb PD has had 6 shootings in about a month and have lost a good percentage of their officers to turnover in the past 6 months... over 100 from what I heard. Response times will NOT get faster... in fact, they'll most likely get MUCH SLOWER. Better safe than sorry.. it's our right and its legal!

Good luck!

2. brett30030

brett30030 New Member

I just turned 2 months myself. Thanks for the advice, i will try to get by before the end of next week.

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

71 days and counting... from Carroll County

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Count 60 days from the date you applied...

I believe you will find that the date issued is EXACTLY 60 days from the date you applied. That date was actually on my license when I signed it at the beginning of the process.

Did you look at the date your envelope was metered (stamped). Bet you'll find it was mailed a couple of days before you received it.

Anyway, congrats on the license.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have that same mentality problem. It does not seem to be shared by those in government.

6. brett30030

brett30030 New Member

I previously posted that i was over 2 months and still waiting. Apparently my memory is going.

Got mine in under the 60 days. I believe it was actually 7 weeks from when i went to the courthouse, and that included having to get fingerprinted twice after the GBI said that my first set was not readable. :D

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

When I finally got my license after all my complaining and phone calling, I did see them with a huge stack of GFL's and a "mailing list" on a clipboard. It's my own sense for personal gratification that in some small way all my posturing and whining made them work to get everyone elses out a bit faster... to avoid the whining of course.

Still no reply from my letter, but I didn't expect one. I've got a standard letter addressed to every judge in the telephone directory for the Dekalb Courthouse as well as one for the local Postmaster outlinng their insistance that the post office was holding my GFL, and it could be held for 6 months. I'm mailing them next week. I'm half tempted to stop by and say hello in person when I'm in the area next week... they all know me by sight :twisted:

Congratulations! I've had mine about a month and I've carried every day... except for school and thank god that's almost done. I've even quit back on my drinking because I don't go anywhere I can't carry my piece(s).

8. Defensor

Defensor New Member

Dekalb County

70 days and counting.... I sent an email to my State representative today indicating that they are in violation of GA law. We will see what happens next.

9. Defensor

Defensor New Member

Dekalb

Well for what its worth....My Representative called me the next business day and advised that the permit would be issued within a couple of days. I received it in less than a week from writing my state rep.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is at least the third report of a similar story . . .

I guess the post office in DeKalb cleared up their six month mailing delay? :lol: