DeKalb County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by rajl, Sep 1, 2006.

1. rajl

rajl New Member

So I just applied to get my permit and DeKalb County today, and wanted to give some first-hand information to those who might want to get their's in the future.

1) The Probate Court is in the Courthouse Annex. There are TWO courthouse annexes. The one you want is the one directly attached to the new courthouse, right next to the MARTA stop and facing the Historic Courthouse. The other annex is a separate building that is also called a "Courthouse Annex" and is several blocks away.

2) As of this posting, DeKalb County has changed its policies regarding social security cards and numbers. While they still use the old forms, providing your SSN is optional, and your Social Security card is not required. While I brought it, the only form of ID that I was asked for when applying was my Driver's License.

3) At the Probate Court, they will tell you that the DeKalb Sherriff only does fingerprinting between 9am and 11am. When you get to the DeKalb Sherriff, they have signs that say that to be fingerprinted that day, you have to turn your permit in by 2pm. I don't know which is correct, as I was fingerprinted at 10am.

4) All fingerprinting is now done by computer only for DeKalb. There is no longer a "manual" option.

5) After being finger-printed, I was told at the Sherriff's office that I could expect my permit to be mailed by the probate court between 6 and 12 weeks (1.5 to 3 months) from now if no problems arose with the background check.

When I get my permit in the mail, I will post. Hopefully it will be in a timely fashion.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:woohoo:

=D>

:cheers:

3. Malum Prohibitum

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

Finger Printed at DeKalb Sheriff's Office or DeKalb PD?

Rajl, just wondering if you were fingerprinted at the sheriff's office or at DeKalb PD on Memorial Drive (excuse me, Cynthia McKinney Pkwy...can we change the name back since she lost?). Just curious.

Sounds like DeKalb has made improvements in the last year. Last October when I applied, I had to furnish my SS card, and the fingerprinting machine was broken so we did it the old fashioned way. Mine took about 5 months, but in fairness they did say that ink prints would take much longer than digital. I just thought (1) they were BS'ing me because the clerk didn't want to mess with the ink, and (2) I didn't want to drive all the way back down there.

5. rajl

rajl New Member

Malum,

I had indeed read that thread, which is why I had included my second point specifically. DeKalb is following the result of the ruling, so we do not need to worry about forcing the issue.

Broadside Bob,

It was in the Building of Public Safety (does anyone else thing of Robespierre when they hear that???) on Memorial drive for the DeKalb PD.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks!