DeKalb County Gov't Range

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Broadside Bob, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Does or has anybody here shot there? I know it's only open Fridays from something like 10:00 until 5:30, but I've got a few days off work coming in the next month or so. Thought I might try communing with the great outdoors (at this outdoor range) for a change rather than shooting indoors. I guess I'm wondering:

How crowded is it?

What's the cost? Since it's run by the county gov't, I assume it's cash only?

Do they have targets for sale or is it BYO?

Since it's outdoors, I guess you have to walk down range to change your own target. Who or how is a "cold range" called so you can do so? Just wondering as I've only shot indoors.

Anything else you can share or stuff I should know?

Thanks for the input!!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is outdoors. 200 yards max distance.

I have not been there in years, but it used to be open to non-law enforcement two days a week. They allow shooting for a set period of time, then call for everyone to unload and pull their weapons off the line so that targets can be checked.

That is all I remember at this point.

It is well worth the visit, though, as there are not that many places in town where you can shoot 200 yards.

3. frank

frank New Member

I use to shoot there regularly years ago but have not been there in a few years. The days it is open have been steadily declining due to heavier police use.

As I remember ir was like $!0 for an hour of shooting. They assigned you a bench and a target board that had several targets on it. You never went downrange but checked your target with a spotting scope. I think they had rentals or loaners but I had my own.

Every 30 minutes, they shut the range down and refreshed the targets.

A Police Officer ran it and was always friendly and if it was not crowded did not care how long you shot. They had a web site but I can't remember what it was.

4. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

Been there with a buddy of mine from the dekalb PD, its no different than a indoor range has the same rules for us civilains your just outside.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Tain't too many 200 yard indoor ranges, though . . .

6. Malum Prohibitum

Wanna fire fast? Go to some competitions.

Handguns - Griffin Steel Match.

Rifles - Fort Benning has a civilian range that holds rifle and pistol CQB type matches.

In both places, accuracy and time matter . . .

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Technically yes, however if you tell the LEO on duty and he says it is ok, then it should not apply.

8. b8fish

b8fish Member

Thanks for the plug.. :D
    Check it out at www.GriffinSteelMatch.com

Paul
    [email protected]

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

"affirmative defense to a violation" means that you could still be arrested and at the direction of the DA could have the charges dropped or take you to trial.

Asking the security person would only give you a better defense at trial. You could still go to jail, and while out on bond your GFL would be revoked. If you win/charges are dropped then you get your GFL back. If you are found guilty, you are looking at a minimum of 5 years without a GFL on top of whatever punishment is given.

It would be up to you to decide if the risk of trial is worth the risk of not being armed. :-k

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It's not revoked by operation of law. A judge actually would have to order the revocation.

You probably would fail a NICS check, however, if you tried to buy a firearm.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Quite right, and that is the reason I think HB 1032 might not be enough to get the NICS exemption back (the non-reporting of GFL revokable convictions to the probate judge). It would however stop you from renewing it. (and incase someone reading this thinks they could just use another state's non-resident permit instead, Georgia does not allow Georgia residents to use another state's non-resident permit in Georgia in place of a GFL)

I don't know about this one. After the change of NICS point of contact last year from GCIC to the FBI, a misdemeanor violation of a GA carry law should not effect the purchase of a firearm.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

14. b8fish

b8fish Member

I see that there has been discussion as to how to get together and shoot both targets and bull ... how about shoot the Griffin Steel Match -- form up as one or more GPF (Georgia Packing Forum) squads to shoot the match, meeting/food to follow.

I can let Glenn know to keep a squad list open for GPF'ers.

The next match is Saturday May 6, but I can't make that -- got the Area 6 IPSC match.

15. Malum Prohibitum

DeKalb Range

3905 North Goddard Rd.
    Lithonia, GA 30038

Phone: 770-484-3046

Pistol: Outdoor range
    25 yards, 50 yards,
    Rifle 100 yard
    Rifle 200 yard

I know from experience they are likely to let you pattern a shotgun on the pistol range.

Not too many 200 yard ranges this close to Atlanta . . .

16. Malum Prohibitum

Open only Fridays (closed sometimes for training so call first).

____ a.m. to ____ p.m.

$7 per hour

They supply targets

hearing protection available for 50 cents

goggles for $1 ?

10 year olds allowed on range (with adult supervision -21- for those under 18 yoa)

Directions on recorded message at number above

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Closed for 2 weeks

I was at the Dekalb Co. Police firing range on N. Goddard Rd. (off Klondike Rd, on west side) this weekend. Normally it is open on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but temporarily it is totally closed to the public and only for LEO use. It seems that the indoor firing range in the basement of the main police building on Memorial Drive has lead dust issues, and its use has been suspended, thus making all DeKalb cops go over to the outdoor range. Even though nearly all of these regular cops will be shooting on one of the two short pistol / shotgun ranges, and the 200-yard rifle range has a different firing line and a different backstop from the other ranges, for safety reasons (and probably due to issues with supervison and having enough range officers) nobody can use the rifle range while the LEO's are training or qualifying on the pistol range.

This outdoor range should only be closed to the public for about 2 weeks, after which time the backlong of LEO training and qualification sessions should be handled, and then the public will be invited back on Fridays again.

Sgt. DeGraff, Dekalb Co. PD's firearms training officer and former manager of the outdoor range, was very kind and helpful when I stopped by, and he was fun to talk with. He's is quite knowlegeable about weapons, ballistics, theories of incapacitation, and the psychological and physical stress factors involved in a deadly force encounter.

P.S. He says that just prior to the deer (firearms) season, the range gets pretty crowded, and then they STRICTLY enforce the $7 per hour policy and the regular "cease fire" to pull targets.

18. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

So the next Griffin Steel Match is November the 4th, then? Man, that looks like fun! I think I'm going to have to go check that out!

19. Malum Prohibitum