DeKalb County fingerprint appointment

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Teeter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

44 days
    http://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=9&d1=28&y1=2011&m2=11&d2=10&y2=2011&ti=on

2. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

Dekalb has been issuing the credit card style cards for some time. It is the only good thing that came out of my time in Dekalb.

3. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Sounds like DeKalb is finally making the statutory 45-day cut for GWL issuance.

4. GlockSlinger

GlockSlinger New Member

5. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

As long as it's 45 or less, we're good.

6. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Technically though the probate court only has 15 days. I'd be surprised if the DKPD part was taking longer than 3 at this point.

7. IWB1911

IWB1911 New Member

Thought I'd follow up.

I received a call on 12/14 that my license was ready but the signature machine wasn't working the day I was there and had to come back in to re-sign. The first day I could get down there was yesterday, signed the machine and walked out 2 mins later with my permit. All in all not too bad of a process, sort of a pain to have to go back again, and they wouldn't give me $6 bucks for parking

8. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Sounds like the DeKalb County Probate Court got the message as well as the DeKalb County PD.

Now if we can just keep DKPD from busting into the wrong house, shooting the family dog, and threatening the innocent homeowner, we'll be getting somewhere.

9. Siege

Siege Active Member

:screwy: You're asking too much, methinks.

10. pwr2al4

pwr2al4 New Member

Teeter, fwiw, just in case there is any doubt that Dekalb does in fact intentionally sit on Permits up to and then often well past there legally required processing time, When I received my GA CCW back in 2008, I was able to ensure that my CCW was processed within the 60 day time that they are alloted for the prints with the help of an attorney who owed me a favor. And when I actually recieved my permit in the mail, the issued date was stamped almost 7 weeks ahead of the day that it actually arrived in the mail. They were doing this to make it appear as if they were processing them reasonably quickly in order ot blame the delay on backround checks etc.

There is no doubt that they were at least back then doing everything they could to hold onto permits for as long as possible, the fact that they would post date the issue date to make it appear as if they were processing the permit in a timely manner was unbelievable.

11. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

I have no doubt at all that was the case; I just hope they got G.C.O.'s message we're not going to stand for it any longer. Everything I'm hearing now indicates DeKalb County is (1) still telling applicants that it'll be 6 months before they get their licenses, and (2) issuing within 45 days of the fingerprint date.

If we discover that (2) is no longer the case, we'll finish what we started and take them to court. Nothing ever got officially settled on this . . . we filed suit, they claimed they weren't doing anything in violation of the law, then promptly eliminated their ridiculous 'fingerprint appointment' policy. Apparently the county law office let the Probate Court know they were next after DeKalb P.D., because they've since been issuing within the O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 timeline since PD discontinued the fingerprint appointment. JRM and the G.C.O. leadership is OK with things as they are as long as they don't backslide . . . but we'll be right back if they do.

Everybody, keep your eyes and ears open and let me know if you or some other DeKalb citizen starts getting the run-around with the GWL issuance process.

12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I still have concerns about the return time. Probate only has 10 days after the PD finishes. We need some more trust but verify responses to identify the extra 30 days of delay...

13. cdsigmon

cdsigmon New Member

Just received my permit in the mail today. I went to the Dekalb County Probate Court and filled out the application on December 23rd, which was a Friday. Was going to knock out the application and fingerprinting in one day, but turns out the fingerprinting office is closed on Fridays. So I finally just got around to doing the fingerprinting on Monday March the 12th. The date of issue on the license is March 22nd.

So in all it was issued & printed in 10 days from the date of fingerprinting, and it was mailed to me within 11 days after that. In all only 21 days once everything was completed...not too bad considering some of the stories from years past about Dekalb County.

Thanks for the hard work to those who worked to right the wrongs!

14. forewarned

forewarned New Member

Applied for renewal 4/9/12. Was told it could take up to 6 months! Spent the extra $1 for temporary.
    Got it today 5/18/12.

Sent from a very slippery gadget with no real keys using Tapatalk HD

15. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Did you get fingerprinted the same day? Any idea when the result was returned to the probate court?

16. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Thirty-nine days. Not bad, especially considering what it was a year ago. GCO at work.

DeKalb's web site still does say six months (here), but it's inaccurate and they know it:
    I've already talked to JRM about this, and I'll write Judge Rosh a letter requesting her to change the information to accurately reflect the issue timelines mandated by O.C.G.A. 16-11-129. Since DeKalb is now processing GWL applications within the constraints of the law, I can't see why they'd be opposed to changing it. But who knows . . .

Please keep Montieth, Mrs_Esterhouse, 45_Fan, Guns In Church, and/or me aware of any problems with DeKalb County licensing. We appreciate DKPD and Judge Rosh's honoring of the GWL issue timelines, but we believe in "trust but verify" too.

17. forewarned

forewarned New Member

Yes, same day. I drove straight from the courthouse to the police station. Only a few people waiting. Seems they were printing strippers separate from weapons license folks. I was taken in and printed (which I really do not like) and done in under 10 minutes. The last time I was here it took at least 3 hours so I'm not complaining!

Sent from a very slippery gadget with no real keys using Tapatalk HD

18. Rea

Rea New Member

I just went today to apply for my permit for the first time, in DeKalb County. I did not have to get an appointment for fingerprints. I walked in, handed them my form, waited maybe 15 minutes and then got my digits scanned. No big deal at all.

I even asked at the Courthouse if I needed to make an appointment at the fingerprint place, and they said I definitely did not. So I guess the policy really did get changed.

Thanks for making that happen!

19. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

:welcome:

If you can, go through the steps on this page to see when the results got back to the probate court:
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgia ... ut-verify/

We have to keep on top of them to make sure they are complying with state law. It is likely that your background results have already made it back to the probate court. If you can verify that then the clock is ticking for the.

I'll be renewing mine before the end of the month and plan to track the probate's time to make sure we don't have any more issues.