DeKalb County fingerprint appointment

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Teeter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Well, the plain language of the law says it is illegal and that's what the police have access to and what they are supposed to go by so until you win at appeal you are going to jail (at least if the officer knows his stuff and decides it's worth an arrest).

2. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

What ber950 said . . .

O.C.G.A. 16-11-126(e):
    Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I mean, why even pay the money for a GA license as a GA resident if you could just get a Utah license, etc. and carry here (and have more reciprocity)?

Why even write GWCL disqualifiers if you could just get another state's license that you qualify for and carry here?

I'm not even addressing the Constitutionality of carry permits here, btw.

4. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Because it's against the law. If you are a legal resident of Georgia, you must have a GWL to carry in Georgia. Your Utah/Florida/state-of-your-choice license is not valid in Georgia if you are registered to vote in Georgia, have a Georgia driver's license, primary residence in Georgia, etc.

As a very unhappy DeKalb County citizen, I would welcome an alternative to dealing with the cretins at North McDonough Street and Camp Circle - but there's not one right now. The alternative is to legally force the cretins to obey the law . . . and that's what we're working on.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I totally agree with that statement. Never implied otherwise. If it were me moving to DeKalb from say FL or another reciprocal state, I would establish residency and apply for my GWCL and then reestablish residency where I came from until my license arrived. It is possible to do it legally you just have to work at it.

6. TigerDirect

TigerDirect New Member

I called last week to schedule an appointment, and was given a date next week (I can't remember exactly which day). Because of travel and work, I asked if anything was available for the week of Labor Day. I was able to pick the day and time that week, but here's the interesting part: I was told "we may be taking walk-ins by then." The detective told me they would let me know if that becomes the case.

That was the first I've ever seen/heard about DKPD doing GWCL fingerprinting on a walk-in basis. Is this a result of the lawsuit?

7. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Hmmm....could be... :-k

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Starts with a G...

9. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

Undoubtedly, it will be a direct result of GCO's suit. We tried, for an entire year, to meet with Chief O'Brien and DKPD Support Services to discuss administratively rescinding the fingerprinting appointment policy. After promising to do so on several occasions, they finally just stopped responding to our calls and e-mails . . . . I guess they thought GCO would just go away . . .

Hopefully this will now finally happen without a lot of angst and expense on either side. State law is crystal clear about the LEO background check time limit, and I suspect the DeKalb Law Office pointed that out to DKPD. If somehow that message was still misinterpreted, JRM and the GCO Board remain ready to clarify it.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

They used to several years ago.

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I was a walk-in in 2007.

12. mrmoose97

mrmoose97 New Member

hello all,

I just went through the "process" the lkast couple months and just remembered to report back to you good folks.

I did my application on Aug 1st. I called for a FP appointment on the Aug 5th and received an appointment for Aug 24th.

The fingerprinting took less than 30 minutes from the time i parked the car until i left.

IO recieved my permit in the mail on September 20th.

not too shabby considering the horror stories i had read about Dekalb

13. GlockSlinger

GlockSlinger New Member

New to the forum...but had read many posts about the process in Dekalb. Thought you'd all be interested in my recent experience on 9/28/11 applying for a GWL.

I had Dekalb County jury duty and decided to see if I could work in applying for my GWL into the day. On an early coffee break, I found the correct room in the basement and had my application completed and paid the cashier inside of 10 mins...closer to 5. Very helpful staff...no waiting at all (weekday morning). I noted that they did NOT request my SSN. They instructed me to go for fingerprinting at the DPD at 3630 Camp Circle. I asked if I needed an appointment for finger printing and they said no. I was released from jury duty around 10am and drove straight to the DPD location. After filling out their form, I waited about 25 mins to be called back. When it approached 11am -- their closing time for lunch -- I assumed they would tell me I had to come back after lunch, but they called me back about 10 after. The detective was pleasant enough, moved me quickly through the digital scan process. There were two scanners set up and two detectives processing prints. When I asked, he told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get my GWL.

We'll see if they deliver on that promise. But based on all I've read on this, and other, forums, I had assumed the worse, and was somewhat shocked at how seamless the process was. Maybe the recent suit had the intended effect and they've gotten their act together finally.

Note the following on the DPD website now:

Q: Do you do fingerprinting?
    A: Yes. We do fingerprinting for Firearm/Gun permits via the Live Scan system and manual ink fingerprints on cards for other miscellaneous reasons (employment purposes, job applications, private adoptions, etc.). We do NOT do fingerprinting for U.S. Immigration or for items pertaining to the Department of Human Resources (Adult Care, Child Care, State Adoptions, etc.). If you need manual ink prints on cards, you must supply your own cards. You may call the Permits Unit with questions regarding fingerprinting.

Q: Do I need an appointment for fingerprinting?
    A: No. Firearm/Gun permit applicants must go to the DeKalb County Probate Court before you are fingerprinted. For all manual ink prints, you must arrive at the Permits office with your cards completed and checked-in before 4:00 p.m.

Q: What do I need to get fingerprints for a gun permit?
    A: Photo Identification (Driver’s License or U.S. Passport), Probate Application, and $5.00 dollars cash. U.S. citizens born abroad and applicants that are naturalized U.S. citizens must provide a U.S. Passport or Resident Alien Card, in addition to their Driver’s License.

- Richard

14. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

First, :welcome:

Second, thanks for the update. Glad to hear that they are now taking walk-ins as they claimed in their response. Can you please let us know when you get your GWL and the date they put on it?

Thanks!

15. IWB1911

IWB1911 New Member

First of all the great website, it's helped me navigate the georgia gun laws.

Second, wanted to say I experienced the same thing as the poster above. I went down to the courthouse, found the pistol license room in the basement, filled out the paperwork and paid my $73 bucks in under 10 mins. The lady working was very pleasant and easy to work with, she gave the standard it "3-6 months and you'll have your permit"

Then I went over to the Camp circle to get fingerprinted, walked right up to the window, they copied my drivers license and collected another $5 bucks. Took a seat and waited less than 10 minutes. A friendly detective took my prints quickly and had me sign them. I asked him about how long it takes and he said he's heard as little as 2 weeks and as long as 3 months. I'm hoping out of the 2 people I dealt with today he's the corrrect about the timing.

I expected the worst and got out of there feeling pretty good about the process, I'll keep the forum posted when I get my permit.

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

thanks much for the good news

mine (DeKalb) expired last summer

17. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

And that's because GCO fixed the fingerprint appointment issue for us. It's still not quite formally resolved (i.e.; DKPD has not yet signed a consent decree agreeing to refrain from doing it again), but it's pretty close. The county's law department has been in touch with JRM to wrap it all up.

Next stop - DeKalb County Probate Court and the (they think unlimited) time to process the mental health background check.

18. IWB1911

IWB1911 New Member

I certainly appreciate all your work that has been done on the front end, let's see how long it takes them to get it to my mailbox.

19. GlockSlinger

GlockSlinger New Member

Follow up to my post above on 10/11/11.

Received my GFL today in the mail.

Application date: 9/28/2011

Issue Date: 11/10/2011 (43 days from application date)

Received Date: 11/17/2011 (50 days from application date)

Note that the card has changed from the image shown here: https://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl.php

It's now a white plastic "cc" type card printed in black on 1 side only with a slightly different format..but essentially the same info. Also, note that it is still titled "Georgia Firearms License" not "Georgia Weapons Carry License (WCL/GWL)" as stated here: https://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

- Richard