Georgia Packing banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
45_Fan said:
JMJ2 said:
Thanks for the update. Seems like things haven't improved. I don't want to be bogged down with this garbage when I renew my GWL. Thanks.
Kick the hornet's nest for the team then. ;)

I will, but I'm not up until 2012.
Mine expires May 2012. I'm following this real close cause time seems to fly. I'll be glad to kick that nest next year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My first post here. When I was in the service down in Warner Robins, I remember taking a week or less. When I moved to LA, I had to sell my guns as I didn't want to deal with Californias BS. Just recently bought a XD 40sc and was going to apply for my cc here (dekalb). Looks like I won't bother...too much of a hassle. At least until things turn around, or I move lol. I'll keep a close eye on these dekalb posts.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
i would still apply as you want to be able to carry out of your home, car, or workplace(with owners permission).

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Baedarlboo said:
My first post here. When I was in the service down in Warner Robins, I remember taking a week or less. When I moved to LA, I had to sell my guns as I didn't want to deal with Californias BS. Just recently bought a XD 40sc and was going to apply for my cc here (dekalb). Looks like I won't bother...too much of a hassle. At least until things turn around, or I move lol. I'll keep a close eye on these dekalb posts.
Go ahead and apply. Don't let DeKalb discourage you, that's what they want to do. Jump through their hoops (I think they'll only make you show up twice). In about 100 days, your GWL will show up in the mail. Its a pain in the butt, but still worth it.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Baedarlboo said:
:welcome:

Call DeKalb PD on Monday and make an appointment. (404) 297-3934
After that, see if you can handle probate and fingerprints on the same day.

DeKalb has the same process as every other county in the state, they just take a good bit longer than every other county in the state.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the welcome 45_Fan.
And thanks for the encouragement, I really do want to be able to carry, just the wait time and horror stories of Dekalb is discouraging. My weekdays are packed tight between school and work, so I'll do it as soon as i can find some breathing room. Thanks again guys...and I'll try and keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Baedarlboo said:
Go ahead and apply. Don't let DeKalb discourage you, that's what they want to do. Jump through their hoops (I think they'll only make you show up twice). In about 100 days, your GWL will show up in the mail. Its a pain in the butt, but still worth it.
Exactly, don't let it stop you! It's only two trips, which is the same in many other counties from what I've heard. One to Probate Court and another to DKPD for fingerprinting.

My GFL (yes, it's still the GFL in Dekalb) just came in after 115 days. 71 days just to get the fingerprints done, then 30 days for the background report to get back to probate, 7 for probate to print the card (based on date on card), then another 7 days to get it postmarked and one day in the mail.

It just doesn't have to take that long and GCO is working to get that fixed. Fingerprint appointments in Dekalb are only required for firearm permits. Everybody else is a walk-in and it's the same fingerprint process. Not applying for your permit doesn't solve the problem, it just denies you of your permit.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,374 Posts
Taurus92 said:
It just doesn't have to take that long and GCO is working to get that fixed. Fingerprint appointments in Dekalb are only required for firearm permits. Everybody else is a walk-in and it's the same fingerprint process. Not applying for your permit doesn't solve the problem, it just denies you of your permit.
No, not applying for your permit accomplishes Dekalb County's goal of making it so much of a hassle that some people will not apply for one.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Things are still active with the DeKalb County Police Department fingerprinting appointment 'situation'.

I need current information (i.e.; March/April/May) on the wait times between (1) calling for the appointment, and (2) the scheduled date of the appointment. I also need to know the date you actually applied for the GWL (or renewal) at the DeKalb County Probate Court.

G.C.O. is ready to move on this; I need this information as soon as possible. PM me if you prefer.

Many thanks,
Teeter

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Teeter said:
Things are still active with the DeKalb County Police Department fingerprinting appointment 'situation'.

I need current information (i.e.; March/April/May/June) on the wait times between (1) calling for the appointment, and (2) the scheduled date of the appointment. I also need to know the date you actually applied for the GWL (or renewal) at the DeKalb County Probate Court.

G.C.O. is ready to move on this; I need this information as soon as possible. PM me if you prefer.

Many thanks,
Teeter
I need this now - please respond immediately. PM is best.
We are waiting on you . . . . . help us get this fixed.

Thanks, Teeter

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Also the dekalb county probate website says a DRIVERS LICENSE (not state id) is required.

Isn't that am illegal requirement? What does a license have to do with carry?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

·
Swollen Member
11,889 Posts
the_hustleman said:
Also the dekalb county probate website says a DRIVERS LICENSE (not state id) is required.

Isn't that am illegal requirement? What does a license have to do with carry?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!
So, if one gets too many misdemeanor speeding tickets and eventually their driver's license is revoked, they are summarily denied the right to protect themselves with a firearm...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Bump. Time to step up - we're ready to go.

If it's been over thirty days since you've applied at the DeKalb County Probate Court and you still haven't been fingerprinted - let me know who you are.

Teeter said:
Teeter said:

I need current information (i.e.; March/April/May/June) on the wait times between (1) calling for the appointment, and (2) the scheduled date of the appointment. I also need to know the date you actually applied for the GWL (or renewal) at the DeKalb County Probate Court.

Many thanks,
Teeter
I need this now - please respond immediately. PM is best.
We are waiting on you . . . . . help us get this fixed.

Thanks, Teeter

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
jrm said:
Teeter said:
45_Fan said:
No, good is when they stop violating state law.
The wheels are in motion.
Filed today. Will be available on GCO web site soon.
A mandamus suit against the DeKalb County Police Department for violation of the OCGA 16-11-129 background check timeline was filed yesterday; this is a direct result of DKPD's 'fingerprinting appointment' policy - for GWL applicants only. More news to follow as things progress.

DeKalb GCO members, please let JRM know how much you appreciate his time and effort to make this happen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Re: DeKalb County fingerprint appointment

Teeter said:
jrm said:
Teeter said:
45_Fan said:
No, good is when they stop violating state law.
The wheels are in motion.
Filed today. Will be available on GCO web site soon.
A mandamus suit against the DeKalb County Police Department for violation of the OCGA 16-11-129 background check timeline was filed yesterday; this is a direct result of DKPD's 'fingerprinting appointment' policy - for GWL applicants only. More news to follow as things progress.

DeKalb GCO members, please let JRM know how much you appreciate his time and effort to make this happen.
I don't live in DeKalb County but this alone is worth a donation! :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Though im new i would really like to thank every one working on this situation. I just moved to Dekalb and it is very discouraging to see all of the hoops you have to jump through. Luckily I still have my FL permit but I am still looking for a GA one soon. :evil: Red tape!!!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
rambo91145 said:
Luckily I still have my FL permit but I am still looking for a GA one soon.
If you are a GA resident you cannot carry in GA with a FL permit (or a permit from any other state).

A GA resident has to have a GWCL to carry in GA.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
rambo91145 said:
Luckily I still have my FL permit but I am still looking for a GA one soon.
If you are a GA resident you cannot carry in GA with a FL permit (or a permit from any other state).

A GA resident has to have a GWCL to carry in GA.
At least one lawyer here has stated that he doesn't think that law will stand a legal challenge. Something about unequal protection. Dang pesky Constitution.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts