Georgia Packing banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: DeKalb County fingerprint appointment - need info from you

Renewed mine last fall. Though it was a PIA (and $$$), it was not 4 to 6 months. My old GFL was to expire in early December so I called DKPD in about September to get an appointment. Had to leave a voicemail, but they did call back within a couple of hours. I think I had to set it about two or three weeks out; is that really acceptable, no, but it was well short of two months out.

Went to the DeKalb courthouse a week or so before my fingerprinting (it was the day the Kid Rock verdict came down...tons of news media outside). Went back for my fingerprinting; got there early and was the first person in line after lunch. Was told I might be waiting 2 to 3 hours but it ended up only being about an hour. As I left, the lady told me something like 4 to 6 months...I figured no point in arguing with an ignoramus so I just walked out. They did not make the required turnaround of 44 days though they only missed by 2 or 3 days. Did have my new license before the old one expired. A hassle, yes, especially cconsidering I had to drive down from work in Marietta twice, and it cost me nearly $100 by the time you add all of the fees and parking at the courthouse and DKPD. Still, I'd have to admit, it's not as bad as the shafting it sounds like a lot of folks are getting in DeKalb. This all for something that is supposed to already belong to me.

Parking is limited at DKPD, and Recorder's Court (same building) is always packed. I'd suggest an early morning or early afternoon appointment and making sure you arrive well in advance of that.

I was not aware that GWL applicants were the only ones where permits were required, but I did find it irritating that strippers must be licensed (just never thought about it). It sounds to me like the state is saying that they don't really approve of this vice, but for $200 a stripper, we'll look the other way.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: DeKalb County fingerprint appointment - *** UPDATE ***

Removed by Teeter

·
Senior Mumbler
6,374 Posts

Time to move forward even if Dekalb doesn't want to. Teeter could you post a way to donate for this as I'm sure many members here would be willing to contribute to the cost.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

phantoms said:
Teeter could you post a way to donate for this as I'm sure many members here would be willing to contribute to the cost.
Right here.
Thanks for the suggestion and support.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

C-note on the way. :righton:

·
Senior Mumbler
6,374 Posts

Teeter said:
phantoms said:
Teeter could you post a way to donate for this as I'm sure many members here would be willing to contribute to the cost.
Right here.
Done. :righton:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Removed by Teeter

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Teeter said:
phantoms said:
Right here.
Sent mine in a couple days ago!

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

just subscribin

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

phantoms said:
Teeter said:
Removed by Teeter
Teeter, is the Dekalb PD now wanting to work to correct the problems?
Not that they've told us, but the deleted posts have accomplished their task.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts

Teeter said:
phantoms said:
Teeter said:
Removed by Teeter
Not that they've told us, but the deleted posts have accomplished their task.
:righton:

·
Registered
238 Posts

Any new developements in the Dekalb licensing/fingerprinting process ?

·
Registered
6 Posts

JMJ2 said:
First post, so I'll welcome myself to the forum. Thanks, everyone!

I read this thread earlier today and then went down to the courthouse. I called the Dekalb PD first to see about making an appt, and left a message for a call back. I then went down to the Courthouse to fill out the paperwork and pay the $73 fee. The lady at the Courthouse was very nice, and even had an email I could see that she referenced where a new policy had been established that stated fingerprints for firearms would only be done Mondays-Thursdays from 8am to 4pm (95% sure that was the time each day). She said the email made no mention of making appointments. She was waiting on a reply to her question to them if they were still working on an appointment-only basis. Her guess was that was still the case, and told me I should expect to receive an appointment 2 months out from the time I receive a callback. I will update when they call, but I am also tempted to drive over there tomorrow to see if I can get printed. Sorry, I did not look closely enough to get the date the email had been sent.

Allegedly there are only two people working in the entire license department, and they are responsible for the approval of firearm, marriage, and several other things. At $73 a pop you'd think they could afford to stimulate the economy a little by bringing in at least a third worker.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts

jawjadawg said:
JMJ2 said:
First post, so I'll welcome myself to the forum. Thanks, everyone!

I read this thread earlier today and then went down to the courthouse. I called the Dekalb PD first to see about making an appt, and left a message for a call back. I then went down to the Courthouse to fill out the paperwork and pay the $73 fee. The lady at the Courthouse was very nice, and even had an email I could see that she referenced where a new policy had been established that stated fingerprints for firearms would only be done Mondays-Thursdays from 8am to 4pm (95% sure that was the time each day). She said the email made no mention of making appointments. She was waiting on a reply to her question to them if they were still working on an appointment-only basis. Her guess was that was still the case, and told me I should expect to receive an appointment 2 months out from the time I receive a callback. I will update when they call, but I am also tempted to drive over there tomorrow to see if I can get printed. Sorry, I did not look closely enough to get the date the email had been sent.

Allegedly there are only two people working in the entire license department, and they are responsible for the approval of firearm, marriage, and several other things. At $73 a pop you'd think they could afford to stimulate the economy a little by bringing in at least a third worker.
Maybe the two that are working should do their job in a more proficient manner. It took me all of about 3 minutes to be fingerprinted in my county.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I don't mean there are only two people doing fingerprints. There are only two people who take all of the finished product and then issue approval of the license. It was suggested to me that the police department is using the appointment policy as a way to slow the flow of applications thru the system so that these final two people can complete their work. Otherwise they would be totally buried by the mass of completed applications. A prime example of why the government should not be running a business, including the business of issuing a license. $73 a pop - let me in there and I'll turn that place in to a profit center for the county.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

phantoms said:
No, they appear to have no interest in voluntarily doing so. They indicated they wanted to discuss the issue, but have not responded to our repeated requests to schedule a meeting.

jawjadawg said:
Her guess was that was still the case, and told me I should expect to receive an appointment 2 months out from the time I receive a callback. I will update when they call, but I am also tempted to drive over there tomorrow to see if I can get printed.
Jawjadawg, legally DeKalb P.D. has until April 7 to return your background check to the Probate Court, and they then have until April 18 to issue.

I would like to talk to you at your earliest convenience - please PM me with your contact information. Thanks, Teeter

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the update. Seems like things haven't improved. I don't want to be bogged down with this garbage when I renew my GWL. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
JMJ2 said:
Thanks for the update. Seems like things haven't improved. I don't want to be bogged down with this garbage when I renew my GWL. Thanks.
Kick the hornet's nest for the team then. ;)

I will, but I'm not up until 2012.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Teeter said:
phantoms said:
No, they appear to have no interest in voluntarily doing so. They indicated they wanted to discuss the issue, but have not responded to our repeated requests to schedule a meeting.
Teeter, this answers my PM to you earlier today. For some reason, I don't seem to be getting notices when a reply is posted to this thread.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts