Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GeorgiaCarry.org is currently trying to have the GWL fingerprint appointment required by the DeKalb County Police Department removed. We have been in contact with the command staff at DKPD Support Services Division, and the DeKalb County Law Office is currently reviewing O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 (presumably to determine whether or not they think the appointment requirement is legal).

Our hope is that Chief O'Brien and Deputy Chief Holmes will administratively rescind the appointment requirement (which, by the way, applies only to GWL applicants). Failing that, G.C.O. is prepared to shortly begin litigation against the DeKalb County Police Department.

We are now trying to determine if the fingerprint appointment times are lengthening or decreasing (i.e.; indicating that DKPD is working their way through the backlog).

If you are currently waiting for your fingerprint appointment, or have recently completed your fingerprint appointment, please let me know:

• the date you called for your appointment,[/*:m:k24lzdge]
  • the date you were given for your appointment,[/*:m:k24lzdge]
  • the date you were actually printed (if that has already occurred), and[/*:m:k24lzdge]
  • how long the actual fingerprint capture process took.[/*:m:k24lzdge]

Please PM me or e-mail to [email protected].

Many thanks,
Teeter

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Re: DeKalb County fingerprint appointment - need info from you

I just wanted to remind everyone in Dekalb to get your information to Teeter regarding your fingerprinting appointment. The fingerprinting appointment is one of two issues with Dekalb's GWL process. My fingerprinting was done just a couple weeks ago, about 72 days after the application was filed. 72 days just to START the process! Dekalb requires a waiver for a mental history background check allegedly so they can identify individuals that have a recent history of mental or drug/alcohol treatment. But, by requiring criminal and mental background checks and then intentionally delaying verification for this long of a period, it is a clear indication it's more about putting us through a hazing ritual than it is for any public safety concerns.

First of all, criminals don't apply for a weapons permit and if a person with a mental history or drug abuse history is crazy enough or stoned enough to actually apply for a permit, wouldn't the county & state want to know that ASAP? Obviously, having the applicant’s permission to do these checks and then to delay running them is inconsistent with the stated reasons of the checks. If anything, should the checks turn up a problem, how are they going to explain it when they could have identified it over 2 months earlier? FAIL! There is a reason the FBI background checks are INSTANT.

Dekalb County needs to wake up and stop abusing citizens that have clean records and issue the GWL in the time frame stated in Georgia Code.
Get your information to Teeter.
Help GCO get Dekalb County to conform to Georgia Code.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Taurus92 said:
Dekalb County needs to wake up and stop abusing citizens that have clean records...
Citizens with clean records are not these people's constituents. Why do they care what we think? :shattered:

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

Mine's up for renewal in June. I live in DeKalb. Will likely not renew it. Way too much hassle. Was not bad 5 yrs ago, half-day experience to pay, print, apply.
Something changed big time since then.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Kingfish said:
Taurus92 said:
Dekalb County needs to wake up and stop abusing citizens that have clean records...
Citizens with clean records are not these people's constituents. Why do they care what we think? :shattered:
Because we are politely asking them to care, and citing irrefutable legal reasons why they should. And if that doesn't produce the results we want, the courts or the General Assembly will make them care.

New2Atlanta said:
Mine's up for renewal in June. I live in DeKalb. Will likely not renew it. Way too much hassle.
You need to renew. You will then be eligible to be our lead plaintiff. Seriously.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Teeter said:
Kingfish said:
Taurus92 said:
Because we are politely asking them to care, and citing irrefutable legal reasons why they should. And if that doesn't produce the results we want, the courts or the General Assembly will make them care.
I attended a neighborhood meeting with Burrell Ellis not long ago as he discussed cuts to the Dekalb County budget and raising the millage rate thus increasing taxes. It seems in addition to avoiding the costs of fighting this in court, they could solve many issues by simply doing the right thing and conforming to Georgia Code.

Teeter said:
New2Atlanta said:
Mine's up for renewal in June. I live in DeKalb. Will likely not renew it. Way too much hassle.
You need to renew. You will then be eligible to be our lead plaintiff. Seriously.
:righton:

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

New2Atlanta said:
Mine's up for renewal in June. I live in DeKalb. Will likely not renew it. Way too much hassle. Was not bad 5 yrs ago, half-day experience to pay, print, apply.
I don't think the steps one has to go through in Dekalb are any different than many other counties. Step 1: File the application & pay the fee. Step 2: Get fingerprinted, which is frequently at a different location than filing. The difference is other counties take as little as three weeks start to finish to do the background checks and receive the permit where in Dekalb it takes 4-6 months. I don't know of any other county that requires an appointment for fingerprinting and even Dekalb lets every other permit type just "walk-in" and get printed.

It costs the county money to delay the fingerprint process by making appointments and I hope it's not going to cost the county money to defend a process that has no legitimate purpose. But then again, Dekalb had a congress person that slapped a security guard for doing his job and the latest one worries about Guam tipping over. With logic like that maybe somehow this makes perfect sense to them. :oops:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts

New2Atlanta said:
At the present speed, you need to make your fingerprinting appointment by the end of this month. That way you can walk into probate and the finger printing office on the same day in June.

Also I'd guess your voice is an indicator that others have issue with the current process and find giving up their right is easier that fighting it out. Now I have to go find that probate report and see if DeKalb issues less per quarter per capita than other metro counties. If so, it gives us another data point to look into.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

45_Fan said:
Now I have to go find that probate report and see if DeKalb issues less per quarter per capita than other metro counties. If so, it gives us another data point to look into.
Hi Dustin,

Here it is - go to the Administrative Office of the Courts website, click on Caseload Reports, and look at the yearly counts under Probate Court Civil.

But I can save you some time; I've already done some of the research for JRM.
Here are the comparisons:

Code:
2004     Cobb          3,303
         DeKalb        3,551
         Fulton        2,740
         Gwinnett      4,426

2005     Cobb          3,270
         DeKalb        3,605
         Fulton        3,872
         Gwinnett      4,472

2006     Cobb          3,103
         DeKalb        2,981
         Fulton        2,556
         Gwinnett      3,736

2007     Cobb          2,606
         DeKalb        2,923
         Fulton        3,206
         Gwinnett      3,953

2008     Cobb          6,847
         DeKalb        4,236
         Fulton        5,364
         Gwinnett      4,928

2009     Cobb          8,119
         DeKalb        2,459
         Fulton        3,945
         Gwinnett      7,782
Check out the spike in 2008 - thanks to GCO and the passage of HB 89.

You can't tell me Cobb, Fulton, and Gwinnett can issue in 45 days and DeKalb can't . . . I don't think they can tell the judge that, either.

Mike

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Columbia County and Richmond Count are consistently under 10-14 days! The finger print, either inked or digital, is taken at the same desk where you submit your application. What does DeKalb have against doing that?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts

I found that data, but was hoping for at least partial 2010 data. IIRC, the PD was running 25 days in 2009. Also the DeKalb numbers lack 2 quarters for the 2009 stats.

Cobb is within 30k people of DeKalb, while Fulton has over 1M and Gwinnett is over 800k. I agree, that DeKalb should be able to keep up with those 3 counties.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

CountryGun said:
Columbia County and Richmond Count are consistently under 10-14 days! The finger print, either inked or digital, is taken at the same desk where you submit your application. What does DeKalb have against doing that?
In my opinion, DeKalb County just plain doesn't want its citizens carrying firearms - period. Legally or illegally. So, as government is generally prone to do, they choose to punish the innocent for the crimes of the guilty.

This will not last much longer. Supposedly, at the request of DeKalb PD, the DeKalb County Law Office is reviewing the legality - or lack of it - of a fingerprinting appointment (for only GWL applicants!!) in light of the time limitations prescribed in O.C.G.A. 16-11-129. There is no way this can be considered remotely legal within either the letter or intent of the law. If the Law Office does not direct the DeKalb PD to discontinue the fingerprinting appointment policy, G.C.O. will sue the DeKalb County Police Department. It's that simple. The leadership of G.C.O. is on board and ready to go; we're just waiting for a response from the DKPD before we proceed. I sincerely hope DKPD decides to remove this burden administratively; it'll save both G.C.O. and the PD a lot of headaches. But if they don't, we've had enough.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

Thanks for taking this battle on, Mike.

Just a thought... I can't imagine the councilcritters of Dekalb County would be happy about receiving a letter (or a whole bunch of them) from residents letting them know that the PD is on the verge of being sued by an organization with a stellar win rate against cities and counties that violate provisions of 16-11. Attaching a list of prior won or settled cases, and copies of news articles detailing the judgments or settlements might get the councilcritters fired up enough to lean on the PD to obey the law without tthe need for an ugly and expensive lawsuit.

Just saiyn'. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts

Teeter said:
If the Law Office does not direct the DeKalb PD to discontinue the fingerprinting appointment policy, G.C.O. will sue the DeKalb County Police Department. It's that simple. The leadership of G.C.O. is on board and ready to go; we're just waiting for a response from the DKPD before we proceed. I sincerely hope DKPD decides to remove this burden administratively; it'll save both G.C.O. and the PD a lot of headaches. But if they don't, we've had enough.
Great! I'm a Dekalb resident and my GWL expires in May 2012. It would be nice to have all this ironed out before I have to renew. Its about time for Dekalb to get on board.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts

I am not a Dekalb resident, so I advised my State Rep of the situation and informed him that a lawsuit would be forthcoming. I also told him I would be looking for his help if the courts didn't fix this problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts

The last thing DKPD needs is to lose a lawsuit. Money is already tight enough in Dekalb Gov. This could all be avoided by DKPD simply following the letter of the law which DKPD expects its law abiding citizens to continue to do.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts

New2Atlanta said:
You should renew. Don't let them discourage you, that's what they want. Even if you have to wait 100 days or so, you'll eventually get it. What are you doing to do, just give up your rights and quit carrying because of DeKalb County?

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

Actually I'm looking for an easy county and a legal way to set up temporary residence there.
May be too tricky to pull off.
Those counties with half day turn around are on the top of my list.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

anybody need a low maintenance, short time roommate ?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,374 Posts

Why not apply for your renewal a month or two before your current one expires? The week your current one expires, go down there and make them give you a temporary permit (good for 90 days). If that one gets close to the expiration date, make them give you another.

Get with Teeter also so that you can be part of any lawsuit brought against Dekalb.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts