DeKalb County - 146 days

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Broadside Bob, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

Well it finally showed up today. Completed application and fingerprints on 10/7/2005; arrived on 3/2/2006. That's 146 days by my count.

Glad it's finally here, but I am miffed about two things:

First, the county took 86 days longer than allowed by law. I take very small consolation in their not mailing it to me on day 180 (since the county web site says it takes 6 months). If the judge or her office were withholding GFL's intentionally, I think that's exactly what they'd do. Sounds more like bureaucratic backlog than anything (not that that is acceptable). Of course, I don't think the IRS or the state of GA would take too kindly to my sending my income tax return in in early to mid June.

Second, the license shows a date issued of 12/5/2005 (60 days after my application) and an expiration date of 5 years after that. I actually asked about this in a follow-up e-mail to the clerk; the date was printed on the license I signed when I applied. I'll bet that refund check for the 3 months I missed will show up tomorrow.

As I mentioned in my original post 5 months ago, I did do ink prints as the optical/digital machine was broken. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has applied in the last year or so in DeKalb and done the digital prints.

Well, guess I'm off to Wally World for some nachos.

BB

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well the Federal firearm law that says if NICS does not say yes or no after 3 days you can buy the gun. NICS had like 250 flagged later out of 2 million that they had to go back and recover the gun when they were finally denied.

Georgia Law says if the judge gets no reports in 50 days by the 60th it should be issued. If after 6 months something does come in, the judge can revoke the license.

Nothing in the law allows them to wait longer than 60 days. Which just annoys the crap out of me.

They could have just held all licenses and released them all on March 1st. So a 9/15/05 would have got it at the same time you did but took longer. Possibly a 12/15/05 app just got theirs too and had to wait 3 1/2 months.

According to one theory, cards could be released only on 2 dates, say March 1st and September 1st, 6 months apart. So an app with a date just a couple weeks before on say Feb 15 and was not ready for March 1, would have to wait until September 1st with a total time of 6 1/2 months.

3. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Since mine only took eleven days, Gunstar's theory seems plausable. If I had gone in one day later it may have taken 6 months. Of course I am in Gwinnett, which may be a little more gun friendly.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Broadside Bob,

I'm glad you got your license, albeit late. Would you mind hanging on to the envelope it came in (assuming it has a legible postmark on it)? It might come in handy soon.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunstar1, I have not heard that theory before. Is that conjecture, or is there a significant sample size to indicate that might be the case? Also, what would be the point?

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I know it has happened with a previous court judge in another county. It is conjecture whether or not this particular court is doing the same thing.

As to the point, I don't really know. Perhaps more help is availible or case load lowers at those times. Maybe the judge does not like issuing and puts it off as long as possible.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Maybe they only get the laminator from Kinko's twice a year?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Which county?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will have to look, it could only have been one that did 6 months average.