DeKalb commissioners propose gun control measures

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by GlockGary, May 3, 2018.

1. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

2. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

3. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

They really don't want to open that can of worms. I found out a while back that the Forsyth county zoning board required Wal-Mart to agree to not sell guns as a condition of being allowed to build a store in south Forsyth county, despite that being a clear violation of state preemption. This was never part of the written deal, but it was "understood" that the store would never have been approved without that concession. It would be a shame if Dekalb county lost a similar case, establishing a precedent, especially if there were damages involved.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yes, because 159 sets of rules is far superior to just one set of rules. :righton:

5. moe mensale

I would think that after some 50,000 or so gun laws in the US that "common sense" is an attribute completely out of reach of most politicians. Know what I mean? :popcorn:

magnum1b and Bill-Columbus like this.
  6. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

It may as well read The Cook County Board of Commissars

magnum1b likes this.
  7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

[N]o county . . . , by . . . resolution, . . . shall regulate in any manner:

. . .
    (B) The . . . transfer, sale, [or] purchase . . . of firearms or other weapons . . .;

(C) Firearms dealers or dealers of other weapons;

magnum1b likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

RESOLUTION

A RESOLUTION BY THE GOVERNING AUTHORITY OF DEKALB COUNTY,

GEORGIA, EXPRESSING SYMPATHY AND CONDOLENCES TO THE VICTIMS AND

FAMILIES OF THE PARKLAND, FLORIDA SHOOTING; ENDORSING COMMON SENSE

GUN SAFETY LEGISLATION AT THE FEDERAL AND STATE LEVEL; ENCOURAGING

RETAILERS TO LIMIT THE SALE OF CERTAIN GUNS AND ACCESSORIES TO

INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF 21; AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

WHEREAS, the DeKalb County Board of Commissioners mourns the senseless and

vast human suffering perpetrated by the Parkland shooter; and sympathizes with the victims,

survivors and their families; and wishes to take reasonable steps to prevent similar suffering in

the future; and

WHEREAS, the recent school shooting in Parkland, Florida has once again brought to

the forefront the need for meaningful legislation and action with respect to the regulation of guns

throughout DeKalb County and the State of Georgia; and

WHEREAS, the State of Georgia has passed state laws that pre-empt DeKalb County

and other local governments from passing local ordinances that restrict gun and ammunition

sales, which could protect our citizens;

WHEREAS the Board of Commissioners hereby acknowledge that the United States

Supreme Court has recognized that reasonable limitations can be applied to the Bill of Rights.

WHEREAS, the Board of Commissioners hereby recognizes that 78% of adult

Americans do not own a gun and that American across every political party support thorough

background checks for gun purchases.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Commissioners hereby

encourages retailers in DeKalb County, the State of Georgia, and the Federal Government to

limit or prohibit gun sales to individuals under the age of 21.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board of Commissioners hereby encourages

retailers in DeKalb County and the State of Georgia to limit or prohibit the sale of “bump stocks”

and high-capacity magazines.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board of Commissioners hereby encourages

retailers in DeKalb County and the State of Georgia to limit or prohibit the sale of assault-style

weapons that are designed for military use and whose lethal bullets have inflicted devastating

large wounds to the survivors of the Parkland shooting.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board of Commissioners hereby supports the

passage of reasonable legislation in Georgia and the United States to limit or prohibit gun sales

to individuals with mental illness and for the creation of a universal database of individuals

banned from buying or owning guns.

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the DeKalb County Board of Commissioners directs the

Clerk to the Commission to spread this Resolution upon the official minutes and records of the

Board of Commissioners and to forward a copy of this resolution to the Mayor of Parkland,

Florida, to the members of the DeKalb Delegation to the Georgia Senate, House of

Representatives, and to Georgia’s Congressional Delegation.

ADOPTED by the DeKalb County Board of Commissioners, this _____ day of April,

JEFF RADER

Presiding Officer

Board of Commissioners

DeKalb County, Georgia

APPROVED by the Chief Executive Officer of DeKalb County, this ___ day of April,

MICHAEL THURMOND

Chief Executive Officer

DeKalb County, Georgia

ATTEST: APPROVED AS TO FORM:

_______________________________ _____________________________

BARBARA SANDERS-NORWOOD VIVIANE ERNSTES

Clerk to the Chief Executive Officer and Interim County Attorney

Board of Commissioners

9. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I've come to expect no less from the counties surrounding downtown Atlanta, and especially DeKalb. Stupid and corrupt libtards.

10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

Alot easier than actually fixing problems in their county

11. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Perhaps Dekalb has an abridged version of the OCGA?

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

13. JohnH

JohnH Member

WHEREAS, the Board of Commissioners hereby recognizes that 78% of adult Americans do not own a gun...

What the hell does this have to do with the right to arms or the age at which a person is considered an adult and in full possession of the free practice of their rights? Does this mean that my civil rights are only to be respected if I am a member of a group of people meeting some arbitrary percentage of population?

14. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Well, it seems that according to the Board of Commissioners of DeKalb County it is perfectly justified to discriminate against minorities. Their own pronouncement uses gun owners minority status as their justification to discriminate against them......substitute the word "Black" or "Gay" for the phrase and see how it reads then.

MLS 4506 and TimBob like this.
  15. moe mensale

Nothing actually. What it indicates is that politicians and political entities at all levels are relying on polling data - such as the annual General Social Survey or the decennial census - that may no longer provide the truthful answers they are looking for. People are wising up to the intrusiveness of the questions being asked and either lying or ignoring the survey. When's the last time you truthfully responded with how many firearms you owned? So the published data gets skewed and the idiot politicians accept it as truth. Regardless of the fact of what reports like the Annual Firearms Manufacturing & Export Reports and monthly NICS numbers show. All those guns are going somewhere.

16. POPATOP67

POPATOP67 New Member

Where are the stats on young people driving cars to school and causing accidents. Either killing them selves or even others. I live in Columbia county and seen way more than would like. Recently a 30 year detective was run over on his motorcycle by a very new driver. Who fled scene returned and fled again. Are automobiles not a dangerous weapon. Are insurance companies wrong for charging higher rates. I remember well and still pay high rates on my last one who by the way graduated college MCL. Had a son go in Army and serve 5 Years one in Afghanistan. Very proud of all my kids which might I add carry when they reached the right age and grew up learning how to handle guns properly. I also know our government once they take one right away they move to the next. Look out young people you ask and shall receive. No guns till 21 then no cars no tobacco no energy drinks wait where did all my rights go. Sorry for the rant. Hard to listen to the news these days.

17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

Gotta score hollow platitudes somewhere in an election year....