Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Señor Member
1,468 Posts
I'm not sure I would want to shoot someone outside
my locked door, even if he was trying to break in.
Sounds like this kid may be okay, though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm not sure I would want to shoot someone outside
my locked door, even if he was trying to break in.
Sounds like this kid may be okay, though.
Well, if someone is trying to enter my home in a tumultuous manner, then I am most likely going to try and stop the threat; the most effective way I can do that is by hurling fragments of lead through the door. As a added bonus, Georgia law supports my position.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Forcible felony, violently trying to kick in a door with a gun in his hand. I'd say that shoot was 100% good all the way around with no rotten spots.

Nothing in the law saying you have to wait until they make actual entry before defending yourself.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Anyone else moderately surprised they called the dead guy the suspect and not the victim?

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Given its DeKalb Co I am surprised that the young man isn't sitting in jail.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Given its DeKalb Co I am surprised that the young man isn't sitting in jail.
There are a number of GCO members that have "helped" DeKalb PD with their understanding over the years.

Several years ago my neighborhood had some officers over to talk about break-ins and general security stuff. One of my neighbors asked "What if I'm in the house when somebody breaks in?" Without missing a beat, one of the officers responded "Shoot them."

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
It's a common MYTH that you have to let an intruder set foot in your home before you can use deadly force on him.

The truth is, if the circumstances of his assault on your home are such that you're confident that any one of the three scenarios in the "defense of habitation" law are met, you've got a green light to shoot him throw a door or window, or by you leaning out of another window and putting rounds in him as he tries to enter a different window or door.

When I was with the DA's office, we consulted with the police on a case where a violent ex-boyfriend was stalking his ex-girlfriend and baby momma, and he came around to her home, threatening her with a knife or bat or pipe or something. He started beating on her door with the weapon.
She gave him a load of #4 birdshot right through the door, shredding his chest and killing him instantly. Dead right there on the front steps.

Nobody wanted to charge her with anything, and we at the DA's office agreed it was clear-cut self-defense from what the cops told us.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
It's a common MYTH that you have to let an intruder set foot in your home before you can use deadly force on him.

The truth is, if the circumstances of his assault on your home are such that you're confident that any one of the three scenarios in the "defense of habitation" law are met, you've got a green light to shoot him throw a door or window, or by you leaning out of another window and putting rounds in him as he tries to enter a different window or door.
I wasn't completely familiar with this so here it is.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=3&section=23

O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-23
Use of force in defense of habitation

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a habitation; however, such person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner and he or she reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person dwelling or being therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence;

(2) That force is used against another person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using such force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred; or

(3) The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.