DeKalb: 19 yo shoot attempted home invader through front door

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, Jun 28, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

2. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I'm not sure I would want to shoot someone outside
    my locked door, even if he was trying to break in.
    Sounds like this kid may be okay, though.

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Looks like head shot height.

4. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Well, if someone is trying to enter my home in a tumultuous manner, then I am most likely going to try and stop the threat; the most effective way I can do that is by hurling fragments of lead through the door. As a added bonus, Georgia law supports my position.

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Forcible felony, violently trying to kick in a door with a gun in his hand. I'd say that shoot was 100% good all the way around with no rotten spots.

Nothing in the law saying you have to wait until they make actual entry before defending yourself.

6. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Anyone else moderately surprised they called the dead guy the suspect and not the victim?

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Given its DeKalb Co I am surprised that the young man isn't sitting in jail.

8. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

There are a number of GCO members that have "helped" DeKalb PD with their understanding over the years.

Several years ago my neighborhood had some officers over to talk about break-ins and general security stuff. One of my neighbors asked "What if I'm in the house when somebody breaks in?" Without missing a beat, one of the officers responded "Shoot them."

9. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

It's a common MYTH that you have to let an intruder set foot in your home before you can use deadly force on him.

The truth is, if the circumstances of his assault on your home are such that you're confident that any one of the three scenarios in the "defense of habitation" law are met, you've got a green light to shoot him throw a door or window, or by you leaning out of another window and putting rounds in him as he tries to enter a different window or door.

When I was with the DA's office, we consulted with the police on a case where a violent ex-boyfriend was stalking his ex-girlfriend and baby momma, and he came around to her home, threatening her with a knife or bat or pipe or something. He started beating on her door with the weapon.
    She gave him a load of #4 birdshot right through the door, shredding his chest and killing him instantly. Dead right there on the front steps.

Nobody wanted to charge her with anything, and we at the DA's office agreed it was clear-cut self-defense from what the cops told us.

10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

OK to throw a door at 'em too.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I wasn't completely familiar with this so here it is.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=3&section=23