Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a question on the law about carrying a handgun without a carry license. The exemption says that it has to be unloaded and in a "case". I assume a "case" means it is lockable? Mine just came in a cardboard box that I put inside a carry bag.

Thanks

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions
(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
The word 'lockable' or 'locked' is not contained within that portion of GA Code. As long as you cannot slip your hand under a flap it's enclosed. It may help to think of the way a common carrier (e.g. UPS) can transport loaded and encased firearms without any legal entanglements. A range bag that is zipped up or closed with Velcro should easily meet the definition of enclosed and it would an odd circumstance (to me) where an opened zipper warranted legal intervention by law enforcement.

My belief,* is that it's there to protect people who don't intend to carry a firearm, but see the need to transport one to the range for sport shooting. A closed shooting bag meets that definition of 'enclosed'.

*If someone with the legal acumen of John Monroe is '... leery of questions as to what the purpose of legislation is,..." then I should be doubly so with only a sixth grade edgeycation.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,532 Posts
I'm a lawyer, and I agree with Falls.
However, 30 years ago I read about a guy who was arrested for having a gun in a tennis racquet cover, which the cops observed to be only "partially" zippered.
I don't know if it was as fully zippered as it could be, leaving only the gap for the handle, or if it really was partially unzipped.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Wooohhhooo, I found my new Signature line!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts