Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question, but reciprocity means that a state will afford to me, as a GFL holder, the rights/privileges they extend to the carry-permitted citizens of their own state, right? So while in TN, I can act accordingly as a TN'er would, yes?

We're planning some trips this summer; right now they're 'maybe' trips. Both in August, one to OH, one to VA.

We'll be driving during both trips, so I guess I need to check the vehicle/personal carry laws for TN, KY, OH, maybe WV (on the way home from OH), then SC, NC and VA. Whew.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Reciprocity means that there is an agreement between the two states in question that they will each honor the other's license as though it were their own.

Some states honor other states' permits without receiving the same courtesy in return.

That is the distinction seen on some carry maps that differentiate between "honors" and "reciprocity."

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Virginia does not honor your GFL, however you can OC in Virginia without a license. In your car, the firearm must be openly visible as well.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
South Carolina will not honor your GFL but you can carry in the glove box or console. North Carolina will honor your GFL just be sure to follow NC laws such as complete concealment.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

·
68,972 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
mzmtg said:
USMC - Retired":1sh0c6z0] North Carolina will honor your GFL just be sure to follow NC laws such as [u]complete[/u] concealment.[/quote] ...or unlicensed open carry. [URL="http://opencarry.org/nc.html said:
http://opencarry.org/nc.html[/URL]
Only in your vehicle! Open carry otherwise will get you locked up.[/quote:1sh0c6z0]

USMCR - Retired, where are you getting that? NC is a traditional open carry state (no license needed).

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
mzmtg said:
USMC - Retired":cnefqnbo] North Carolina will honor your GFL just be sure to follow NC laws such as [u]complete[/u] concealment.[/quote] ...or unlicensed open carry. [URL="http://opencarry.org/nc.html said:
http://opencarry.org/nc.html[/URL]
Only in your vehicle! Open carry otherwise will get you locked up.[/quote:cnefqnbo]

Did you read the link I posted?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I lived in NC for six years and had my NC CCL. Open carry will get you arrested for display and they may tack on attempting to or inducing a public panic.

·
68,972 Posts
There ought to be a lot of news stories, then, for somebody with time on their hands to post . . .

:wink:

·
68,972 Posts
North Carolina Open Carry Forum http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/

Email from NC P.D.:
NC Law does permit "open carry" in non-restricted places and as such, it is permitted within Raleigh. I would hope our officers are well-informed, but since we have over 740 sworn officers, I will not make that guarantee. I will venture a guess that if you do decide to "open carry", as an agency we will receive numerous calls from citizens and you will have quite a bit of interaction with our officers. Captain Hardy

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
I lived in NC for six years and had my NC CCL. Open carry will get you arrested for display and they may tack on attempting to or inducing a public panic.
Any links to stories of this actually happening?

I'm sure one could get arrested for OC in GA with charges of menacing or something stupid like that.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
In North Carolina there is no State law specifically prohibiting the open carry of firearms. Under the theory that if it isn't specifically prohibited it's not illegal, open carry is possible. There are some glaring exceptions to this. They are:

Private property owners and businesses can post "no guns."
Firearms are strictly prohibited on state-owned property, except rest areas and state lands where hunting is permitted. Local governments can (and do) enact prohibitions against "display of firearms" in cities and/or specific areas within cities or counties, which means they can't be visible. Under this statute there is absolutely no requirement for the city or county to post notice of the display ban. Local governments can (and do) enact firearms bans on local government property and in parks and recreational areas. Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property like banks and Post Offices is of course a prohibited area. Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas.
So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

So is open carry legal in NC? In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested.
Source: http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

·
68,972 Posts
North Carolina Supreme Court

State v. Huntly (1843)

Conviction for
riding or going armed with unusual and dangerous weapons to the terror of the people... an offence at common law
. . . it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun per se constitutes no offence. For any lawful purpose -- either of business or amusement -- the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose -- and the mischievous result -- which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm, a peaceful people.

·
68,972 Posts
It is really aimed at the KKK and the like.

Warning, offense terms in link.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys3/monitor1.htm

Four Gastonia, N.C., residents were stopped while driving to the rally and arrested on weapons charges. Found in their car were several
semi-automatic weapons, knives and over 1000 rounds of ammunition. James Hyman, Cynthia Posey, Timothy Shannon and William Fore were charged with going armed to the terror of the public, a misdemeanor.

·
68,972 Posts
Opening the front door, the two observed petitioner facing the entrance approximately three or four feet away, holding the shotgun so that the barrel was pointing in the general direction of the door. The officers ordered petitioner to put the gun down; after several requests, he ultimately complied. He then placed his hands above his head, and was approached by the two police officers who removed the handgun from his waistband.

When asked what he was doing at that location, petitioner replied he was "looking for a friend." Upon an officer's further inquiry, "[W]hy, to show him the gun?", petitioner responded "no, to show him the bullets."

Petitioner was then arrested and charged with going armed to the terror of the public . . .
Barringer v. Caldwell County Bd. of Educ. (1996)

·
68,972 Posts
“We don’t even know there’s a shooting until people start running out the doors,†he said. “Obviously, during that commotion we start saying, ‘What’s going on?’ and it turns out one person had been shot.â€

Deputies later learned that a second shooting victim drove himself to the hospital, Stanley said.

Mays, 32, is wanted on charges of two counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and one count of going armed to the terror of the public.
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satel ... 7645509099

·
68,972 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
North Carolina Supreme Court

State v. Huntly (1843)

Conviction for
riding or going armed with unusual and dangerous weapons to the terror of the people... an offence at common law
[quote:3pud28mk] . . . it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun per se constitutes no offence. For any lawful purpose -- either of business or amusement -- the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose -- and the mischievous result -- which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm, a peaceful people.
[/quote:3pud28mk]

Huntly was later cited in an open carry case.

State v. Hiram Roten Even with a name like that he was not thrown in jail for open carry. Note that they quite clearly state openly carried pistols are legal and then repeat Huntly's statement that a man may carry openly for any lawful purpose of business or amusement.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts