Deck Needs Replacing

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Who is the most reasonable for replacing wooden decks?

Mine has two levels but overall is not that big.

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Where at? What needs replacing the whole deck or just the boards and railing?

3. Phil1979

Sent you a PM.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

My handyman is a good carpenter, and decks are what he likes building the most.
    Nicholas Petty of handychoice DOT net.
    He’s in Gwinnett Co.

5. seereus

seereus Active Member

Be advised that the PT lumber of today is not of the same quality as of old. New PT lumber exposed to the elements may last you 5/10 yrs if your lucky.

You may wish to consider cedar or some of the highly expensive composite materials that are available.

6. Phil1979

Can I use the cheap stuff but just put a couple coats of stain/sealer on it?

7. Phil1979

Is he licensed and knows all the building codes?

I do want to spend $$$ and then be told by the county that it has to be redone again.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The PT lumber of today just takes a little different installation. Just don't dig a hold and drop the post into concrete. Poor a pad and set post anchor brackets so the post are not in direct contact with the concrete. Then build as normal. It should last 20 to 25 years. Can be stretched to much longer life with sealer or paint and regular care and upkeep

If the ground under the post is not level the pad should be poured level over a pier about 6'' in diameter and deep enough to keep the pad from slipping down hill.

9. seereus

seereus Active Member

I have recently replaced a family members deck that was only 8 yrs old.

It had been stained in accordance with the manufactures recommendation at the time installed, and then once every fall.

When removing the old decking I noticed that many of the boards appeared to have the look of dry rot in them.

I also noticed when purchasing the new decking that it was labeled as PT lumber however the small tag stapled on the end had a warning that said for above ground use only. I also noticed that when looking at the 2x8 PT lumber that it had tags stapled on them that said " For Ground Contact "

The EPA changed the laws about a decade or so ago as to what kind of chemicals can be used in PT lumber. After the laws changed the quality of PT lumber went down hill.

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

There's the problem. When you purchase PT lumber it contains a LOT of moisture. Not allowing it to cure out for 6 months to a year before sealing will cause it to to swell and crack allowing the elements to destroy it from the inside out. That is not dry rot. It is moisture rot. If it's not dry through out before sealing then of course you can't expect it to last. It's better to NOT seal it at all than it is to seal it before it's ready.

11. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I believe you are probably right. Regular, untreated lumber not in contact with the ground might last 8 years outside. I also know that painting PT lumber can cause it to rot. The stuff needs to breathe. And thoroughly dry before having the outer surface sealed, which won't allow interior moisture to escape easily.