Decent range around Woodstock?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Desdicado, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Desdicado

Desdicado Guest

I've been living around here (Roswell, Dunwoody, Woodstock) area for years. All this time, I've never found a place I really liked, merely tolerated for convenience. What I'd like to find is:

1) Decent rifle range*
    2) Good pistol range*
    3) Clean (I dont want to die of inhalation like at some places)
    4) Friendly staff
    5) Allows shooting from the draw
    6) Not necessary, would be nice if they allowed shotguns for something other than skeet.

*No "slow fire" or "Single shot" rules, either. It's very difficult to seriously practice defensive shooting if I have to leave 2 seconds inbetween shots.

I've shot at Ed's (back in the day), Pannells, Hot Shots, and American Classic. All have been lacking, some much more seriously than others.

Any suggestions?

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

3. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Out of the choices ED's or Hotshots. I would say ED's in my opinion. With what you discribed you were looking for. They don't have a rapid fire rule. Hotshots does. Plus, I would imagine it would be closer to you.

4. Desdicado

Desdicado Guest

I went to Eds for a long time and stopped going there after I got fed up with the amount of :censored: they gave me for shooting 1911s.

5. murrybird

murrybird New Member

Pannells range off of Hwy 5 is nice.

I usually go to Pannells off of Hwy 5 near Hwy 92. It is decent and prices are fair. Wild West Traders and Range(formerlly know as HotShots) is nice for the Austel area. Nick's Range (aka Ed's Guns and Tackle) sucks like a hoover vaccum cleaner.

6. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Weird.

I've been there several times. They don't even ask what gun I have. Just what caliber I'm shooting that day. They never have made even a single comment on my guns. *shrug*

7. larz

larz Member

Adairsville range would probably suit all your requirements although it's an outdoor range, so weather can be a factor sometimes. I think there is also one in Cartersville too but I can't remember their name.. Nick's has horrible ventilation. I usually shoot at Hot Shots....it's 25 minutes drive and it's clean for the most part.

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

9. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

Although the sign out front still says "Ed's," we are no longer Ed's Guns. Ownership changed ~2 years ago, and the staff is different.

Personally, we don't care WHAT you shoot, just the caliber. One side of the pistol range is set up for Magnum calibers, the other isn't...we just need to make sure we've got you on the right side.

We certainly won't hassle you for shooting 1911s! I may even offer to "function test" it or "sight it in" for you should you even suspect it may have a problem :wink:

Come to think of it, I probably know who did that. Old guy named Jim (who is GONE GONE GONE) used to hate anything that wasn't a Glock. He once told me Sigs were junk.

(The outside sign still reads Ed's because the landlord wants us to pay an outrageous fee to change it)

10. larz

larz Member

Is cost also keeping you from improving your ventilation system?

11. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

No, architecture. The building was never designed to be a gun range. It's around 40 years old, and though we've improved it drastically since taking over, we're at the limits of what the ancient wiring and transformer can take. This building was a drugstore, and later a dance club, apparently.

Plain fact is, the infrastructure is all wrong and we'll be moving to a better nearby facility when the lease runs out. We'll be building it from scratch, so we can build an actual GUN STORE.

If it's been awhile, stop by. We've made alot of improvements since ousting the old guard, not the least of which is price.

12. larz

larz Member

I have been in recently, let us know when you move.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's no joke. I have made my last several purchases from y'all. Each time you had the lowest price in town. All I have to do know is find time to drive out there and use your range. I have $100 in range credits to burn. :D

14. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

I still carry a price tag from the old guys in my wallet. It reads, "Glock 30. Two mags. Tactical. $769.00."

How they stayed in business as long as they did is beyond me.

If you've got $100, you bought four guns and haven't shot them yet?!? Don't you love them? They want to be shot! :)

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I live in Cumming. I normally shoot at Bullseye Marksman here, it's only 5 mins from home. When I pick up my daughter in Kennesaw, it's normally earlier than you open. I'll make by to use them one day.

16. Claire

Claire New Member

pssst - they would be better off with a good web site instead of a new neon sign ;)

17. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Hey Adam we will have to make a trip one Sat as I have some range money there as well from my recent purchase!

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's not a bad idea. I could do that.

19. misawa

misawa New Member

Gotta give my +1 to Ed's, too. I've been going there for a while, shooting on my lunch breaks. I'm only there usually for an hour, so the ventilation thing never really bothered me; more concentrated on shooting. I do remember Jim as well, and his "Glock this and that" did get old, he did open my eyes to the wonderful Bersa .380.

20. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Hey Claire...what a great idea...do YOU know of any web design experts? :lol: