Dec 21 - Armed Robbery Inside GA Tech Dorm

Discussion in 'Crimes in Gun Free Zones' started by WarrenV, Dec 21, 2010.

1. WarrenV

WarrenV New Member

This was the floor I lived on two years ago. I know quite a few people still there, I might be able to get more details about the injuries. There have been quite a few incidents around the North Ave Apartments area, which is annoying, since that's where I park my car on campus.

2. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Oh wait.. no need to panic because guns aren't allowed on campus. That will stop them...

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This is impossible, guns are not allowed on Tech Campus, especially inside of a dorm. This story cannot be true. It must be some kind of an error.

Everyone knows that there cannot be any guns inside of a "gun-free zone." Its simply impossible and cannot occur.

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

That happens tonite.

5. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

That's what I was thinking. Somebody should warn that guy.

6. mountainpass

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/lo ... 1221-am-sd
    How did they get in the dorm wearing masks?

7. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

I don't believe this report. Guns are not allowed on campus. [-(

8. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Nothing here will deter a criminal from making someone a victim... GROUPs of kids on campus have already been robbed.. Being alert doesn't stop some retard from hurting you or robbing you. I swear giving how all GT students at bulldogs games claim to be smart and what not, the people that run that school are idiots.. Need to wake up and realize we're not in a 1960 era anymore, with kids commiting crimes now, crime being in every neighborhood, involving everyone from different walks of life, it;s time to realize we have to defend ourselves from people like this. That whole stranger danger thing doesnt work anymore, and being in a group doesn't change a thing besides the fact the criminal has more innocent people to make the vicitim. Wake up :D Btw

I have one of these if you need to borrow it :

[​IMG]

9. mountainpass

Campus Officials said:
    bold added
    Now just how do they expect an unarmed student to prevent an armed group from going where they want?

10. samman23

samman23 New Member

Warren, I understand that GT is a top engineering school, but why do student still go there? Are the students largely unaware of the violent crimes or do they just think that it will not happen to them? or is it because so many of them are so close to graduating that they do not want to invest in getting a degree elsewhere?

I understand that being alert can help, but it seems that there are so many robberies down there that being alert just means that you know when you are about to be confronted with a violent robbery and you knew when you have been confronted with this violent robbery.

other GT or GSU students/alumni perspectives welcome too.

11. LittleJerry

LittleJerry New Member

Thats a big part. Its one of the top rated engineering schools in the country(depending on the degree, rated #1). For in-state students no school will come even remotely close for the price.

Before they get there they are certainly unaware. Georgia Tech does its best to talk about how great its police force is and how much "better" crime is(I think they still continue to reference pre-Olympics crime stats...)

Getting a degree elsewhere would not be an "investment" by any stretch of the imagination.

Crime is certainly bad, but the majority of students will still go their entire 4(realistically 5) years without ever being victimized. Being smart and avoiding high-risk situations will drastically reduce your probability of being targeted.

Georgia Tech is a magnet for a wide range of students. You have foreign exchange students from India, Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc who are completely ignorant to the type of crime that takes place in this city, let alone how to deal with it. These guys(and a few girls) are easily targeted for being oblivious to the world as they walk down Techwood or North Ave with their headphones in listening to their Ipod or Iphone.

In addition there are/were a number of drug related crimes that really captured the media's attention over the past few years. The Home Park area is rife with amateur pot dealers operating out of their living room. A lot of these are kids who come down from suburbia thinking they and sell a little weed like they did in high-school. They are targeted for having loose cash laying around along with drugs. The vast majority of the home invasions that took place around campus were in the Home Park neighborhood and were drug related.

I am in no way condoning the state of affairs around Georgia Tech. There is definitely a misunderstanding by people who don't live here though.

This is my opinion after living on or next to campus for 6 years. As soon as my affiliation with Georgia Tech ends I will be moving outside of the city to get away from the crime, overpriced rent, high taxes, etc.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-a ... ictim-zone

13. mountainpass

I saw that, the examiner rides again!

Mr. Moore is 22(the reports were wrong).

MP be sure you see what the officials said in my post before this one.

14. mountainpass

Channel 2 just reported the victim lost a tooth during the struggle.

15. mountainpass

The AJC finally got around to reporting it.

16. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

ehh I'd have a gun when ever possible. I WOULD NOT live on campus, and carry every where I went find alternative solutions when I couldn't.

17. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

If you live on Campus, then wouldn't that be your residence? Shouldn't this be enough for a 2A challenge?

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think it is an open question, but the law should be permitted to develop a little more given the newness of the McDonald Heller cases and the dearth of case law discussing them. Let there be a lot more "in the home" cases cementing the proposition before launching right into the grey areas without much in the way of case law authority to support the argument. We still do not know if the "schools" that are "sensitive areas" mentioned by the Supreme Court include adult schools or were meant to include only elementary through high school.

We need more "in the home" cases, such as misdemeanor domestic violence offenders from long ago (pre-Lautenburg) with very minor facts related to their conviction and a long, clean history since, maybe with a long, happy marriage to the same person for decades claiming a right to own a handgun in the home. Maybe people living on Corps of Eng'r property. Maybe people living on church property. Then start getting to something like a person living on "school" property.

I do not think it wise to leap right into the "sensitive areas" that the Supreme Court already informed lower courts were not meant to be a part of the two opinions already issued. That sounds like a recipe for failure.

It would have been like Alan Gura, instead of challenging the possession of handguns only in the home in DC, had first sued for the right to bear machine guns on DC streets. That would have lost, and, worse, would have set up bad precedent for all of us.

19. AtlantaJames

AtlantaJames New Member

Sorry to hear about this (again). My guess is the campus carry will get some play in the coming legislative sessions (I hope).

20. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator