Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that a good number of the members here are working plans to get out of debt.

How does shooting fit into a debt snowball? In some ways it is entertainment and not strictly necessary. On the other hand is a good idea for one who carries a gun for self-defense to practice to maintain some proficiency.

What is a good balance? Heading to the range once per quarter or every six months? Alternatively, is simply going to the range a waste such that it is better to stash $50/m into an envelope to pay for a real course once per year?

What do you guys do?

·
69,149 Posts
Can I get a vote on banning frankr for posting this question? :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'll third it!
:lol:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
Fourth!

When I was deep in debt, I cut down on my range time, but did not do away with it. 100 rounds a month at a local indoor range was not too much of an entertainment expense to keep my aim straight and blow off a little stress.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, while we were doing our debt snowball, I think we approached it as one of our savings and investments, even though Dave says to stop everything. We really didn't have much. It wasn't long before I got to put a much larger number in the monthly budget for ammo/preparedness, sometimes it means food, jars, gear. I approached it as insurance on our life, self insured if you will, sense there will be no one else around to get us on our feet if it all comes crumbling down. My fiance bought that bill of goods, that is why I will be meeting her at the alter this weekend. :shock:

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,493 Posts
"But, honey, I have to reload my own ammo, Dave Ramsey said so!"

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Your written budget needs a "shooting/guns" category. That's it. No magic about it.

Call dave ramsey up and I'll bet you $100 he will tell you that spending some money on shooting is fine as long as it is reasonable and ON PURPOSE as part of your written budget*. I would agree.

You should probably also use the envelope system for guns/shooting.

*If you make 20k a year and are 50k in debt and facing a foreclosure plus kids going to college or something, then shooting probably shouldn't be on your budget. If you're doing OK and are just trying to get out of debt, a trip to the range every month or two won't kill you. With a written budget you can determine how much different shooting budgets will delay your debt-free goal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
foxtrotterz said:
My fiance bought that bill of goods, that is why I will be meeting her at the alter this weekend. :shock:
Congrats bud!!! I knew it was coming up soon. I hope its an indoor venue (or you have enough JD on hand to keep warm!!)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks man! It will be outdoor ceremony and mixed indoor/outdoor reception. Its going to be a bit nippy, those of us who will be drinking will stay warm, not sure about my grandmas, maybe they will shock us all and stay warm with the rest of us!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If you have a teen driver, would you limit their supervised road practice time to save gasoline and wear-and-tear?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Spector is right on it. It depends on your amount of debt and your income. It also depends on your commitment level to paying off debt. While I was working my debt snowball, I only shot ammo I already had and only shot at the WMA. No new guns, no new ammo, no lane fees. That was just me, but we paid off our debt in 14 months too.

I'll throw out some random numbers that would make me feel OK. If my debt is 50% of my yearly salary and I made over $35k a year, then I think I'd be fine with $40 worth of shooting each month. If my debt was a higher % than that or my income was lower, then I would be focused both on making more money and only paying off debt.

Long story short, paying off deb is a mindset issue. If you start figuring out how to get away with doing all the things you love and still "play by the rules", then you'll never get there. You have to change your thinking and get crazy about it. It may seem hard, but not shooting for a year or two is nothing compared to the feeling of having no debt. Also, once it's paid off, your wife won't care how many guns you buy or how much you shoot as long as you stick to your savings plan and only pay cash.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,516 Posts
Hock25 said:
If you have a teen driver, would you limit their supervised road practice time to save gasoline and wear-and-tear?
This is a trick question. Supervised road practice time takes years off your life, so you can reduce your retirement savings. But you have to factor in the extra cost of hair dye to offset the extra grays.

·
Registered
461 Posts
foxtrotterz said:
Thanks man! It will be outdoor ceremony and mixed indoor/outdoor reception. Its going to be a bit nippy, those of us who will be drinking will stay warm, not sure about my grandmas, maybe they will shock us all and stay warm with the rest of us!
Will you be carrying at your wedding?? :D

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
Lets see, trying to get out of debt. Including a mixture of old debt, wife out of work for a few months with a injury, plus a wedding in the middle.

I still made time for the range. Whether it was a trip to Johns Mountain WMA and the $5 parking, or a $15 entrance fee for the 22 league at Hi Caliber, I always made time for it. Sanity and safety required it.

I reload my own ammo, so paying the parking fee at JMWMA was no biggie, and I could justify that by policing my brass, and any other that had been left behind. Running thru about 50 rounds of 9mm and between 100-200 rounds of .22 is a very good stress relief, and is enough to keep your aim true.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
phantoms said:
Hock25 said:
This is a trick question. Supervised road practice time takes years off your life, so you can reduce your retirement savings. But you have to factor in the extra cost of hair dye to offset the extra grays.
Don't remind me. My daughter gets her learner's permit in the Spring. :help:

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Adam5 said:
phantoms said:
Hock25 said:
Don't remind me. My daughter gets her learner's permit in the Spring. :help:
:panic: :panic: :panic:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Practice and match participation is an entertainment for me, but it is also like exercise. I feel better, I maintain a confidence level. I wish I had more resources to devote toward other and more complete self reliance skills. Debt relief is important, so is debt avoidance. The ability of you and your family to have self reliance just makes sense.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Spector is right. Budget for it.

Do whatever amount of shooting is comfortable for you. Call it what you want - range time, entertainment.

Just keep your eyes on the ultimate prize of being debt free. If you're going to still spend $50 a month on shooting, offset it by making cuts elsewhere. Do you eat out at restaurants a lot? Do you smoke? Do you drink? Any other entertainment spending you can eliminate?

Are you married? Is your wife on board w/eliminating other spending so you can shoot? Is she being asked to make sacrifices while you continue w/your hobbies?

If it was me, keeping my relationships intact during a difficult time and ultimately getting out of debt would take priority over range time.

Will you be doing an "I'm debt free!" scream when it's done? I'll cue the Braveheart soundtrack for you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts