Dealing with LEO's

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Mafuta54, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

This is not my writing, I got this from another forum that I frequent.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The recommended actions when making contact with a LEO does not contradict with what I've read elsewhere, including the posts in this forum.

"No", and "Am I free to leave?" seem to be the key phrases here.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I disagree with a few things in the post. First and foremost, steroids aren't rampant. If anything, most cops are in poor physical condition. Are there cops out there that use them? Yes. Is it a common thing. The few officers that I know/suspect that use(d) them never got into fights on the job.

Intimidation isn't a good tactic for gaining consent as it gives another plank for a defense challenge in court. In most cases consent is given simply by asking. I can only think of a couple of instances where people refused consent to search and that seems to be common among other officers as well.

As far as vehicle searches go, do some reading on the Carol Doctrine.

Some of the other stuff they put in their is good info, but their presentation is a bit off.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I know at least one officer who killed a guy - wait, make that two guys, while he was on them.

While I would like to believe that such illegal drugs are not being taken by "law enforcement" officers, I saw a deputy just the other day that I believe had to have taken them to get into the shape and size he was.

Common? I dunno, but it is out there.

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I think for the most part this is probably way off. The problem with LEO's that most people have is that one bad experience causes us to view the rest of them in the same light.

The vast majority of LEO's I either know or have ever come across are hard working honest people just trying to put food on the table for themselves and/or families.

I can see where some of this may apply, but I can see how some of it is way off and not accurate.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Aren't there legally prescribed steroids? I know some guys that are heavily into supplements and shakes and strict diets and work out constantly.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Not for weightlifting, no.

There are legally prescribed steroids, yes. But as far as anabolics, these are for extreme conditions, say, to keep weight on a guy who is wasting away from cancer.

No healthy, weightlifting individual is legally prescribed any anabolics. Case in point - the doc in Carrollton being charged right now.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I've never personally had a bad experience with the cops.

But, they are the most visible agents of government, so I'm naturally suspicious.

As far as I'm concerned, the government is never to be given the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to make their jobs easier by voluntarily waiving any of my rights.

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I have known a fairly large number of LEOs and don't believe any of them ever used steroids. Weed? Some of them. Donuts? Most of them. But nothing else. I always believed I was in better shape than most of my cop buddies. Well, maybe not the niece...

The info in the article is interesting, but it was written for people who break, or certainly closely skirt, the law on a regular basis. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think most people are going to be intimidated by LEO's as a matter of course or during most encounters.

I still believe in "Officer Friendly" and believe most of them really are.

In Louisville last week, the KSP was holding their professional association meeting in the same hotel where we stayed. At least half the cars in the parking lot were gray Crown Vics. I talked with several of the state guys and found them all to be polite and interesting. I never felt intimidated...

I've always wondered why state cars have such really bright light bars. They're actually pretty to see in action.... unless you see them in the rearview mirror of course! But, they do seem to be noticeably brighter and to flash more rapidly than those on city vehicles.

Also noticed the number of antennas most of them had. Some of those cars looked like porcupines! Most have four or five, but one guy had EIGHT! Three on the roof and five on the deck lid. Cool.....

10. Malum Prohibitum

Actually, it is aimed at hippies.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I do not see any "bad" advice in the above. Especially if you are a hippie.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I always thought that if you were arrested during a traffic stop your vehicle could be searched for inventory purposes.

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

If I'm not mistaken (and this is based on MD law) a vehicle can only be searched pursuant to an arrest, and it is the passenger compartment at that. The trunk was off limits without a warrant (which was never hard to get after the arrest).

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

None of those are prescribed, and none of them are steroids. Anybody can go to bodybuilding.com or GNC and pick them up.

The ones you've gotta be careful with are the ones from bb.com that ship from Canada and contain real HGH... illegal as all hell, and dangerous.

Diets, shakes, and supplements are just a means to help achieve an end and do maybe 40% of the work for you, unlike steroids, which do 95% of the work for you...

15. tace

tace New Member

Years ago I was sitting on a plane next to lady. It turns out she was working for my Alma mater. She works in a building that doesn't have a parking lot so she has to park on the street.

She said that every morning a AUPD Police Officer greets her and parallel parks her car for her because she can't.

:shock:

Now, I have met several of the LEOs in the university since I used to work for University Housing and they were all very nice guys.

If you ever want to have a exciting job, try being one in a college town. Those kids do some idiotic but amusing things :lol:

16. Malum Prohibitum

Like smoking crack and binge drinking while playing with firearms in their dorm room?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:drink: :cheers: :shoot: :woohoo:

18. tace

tace New Member

Oh, man! Your imagination needs a lot of work. One day, I'll tell you guys some of my stories over a cold pint.

Of the top of my head, I can remember ones dealing with, potato guns, high heels, spilled beer, kermit, etc.

19. Malum Prohibitum