Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATLANTA -- Legislation paving the way for Sunday alcohol sales in grocery and convenience stores has been filed in the state Senate.

New Republican Gov. Nathan Deal said Tuesday if it ends up on his desk he'll sign it. Deal's predecessor, Sonny Perdue, had pledged to veto a Sunday alcohol sales bill and previous legislation stalled in the GOP-led General Assembly.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26608316/detail.html

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
This needs to be fixed as well as when a purchase can be made (time of day). If someone works night shift and wants to grab a cold beer at the corner market on the way home they are told it is illegal to sell at that hour and they give you that strange look like you are :screwy:

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Did I hear the reason for this is to increase tax receipts with the additional Sunday sales?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Christian groups in Georgia are vowing to fight the measure, arguing it sullies the Sabbath.
:screwy:

Like NASCAR and pro football doesn't?

This is where I believe blue laws, designed to "not sully the Sabbath" should be adjudicated by the courts to be a direct violation of the 1st as they help "establish" a religion. If the SCOTUS had of done its job years ago when first faced with this challenge we wouldn't be in this situation where legislation is required to correct it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I hope he signs it. Not that I drink very often, but I think mixing religion with government, and refusing to sell people alcohol on sundays because religions through the state say it shouldn't be allowed. what gives them the right to force any of their opinions on others? As mentioned above, let the people of the state of GEORGIA decide if we will or won't be allowed to purchase booze on sunday. I'm certain the majority will speak and the bill will pass. Sonny Perdue used his own personal faith to persuade his choice in what would nd wouldn't be passed. That wasn't for him to decide. But he got away with it on more than one occasion. I hope Deal flies straight and does whats best for the people with the PEOPLE MAJORITY persuading his choice.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
This is a freedom of choice issue and I'm all for it. If you want to buy beer on Sunday, it should be your choice to make.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
jdh31313 said:
This needs to be fixed as well as when a purchase can be made (time of day). If someone works night shift and wants to grab a cold beer at the corner market on the way home they are told it is illegal to sell at that hour and they give you that strange look like you are :screwy:
+100 Damn daywalkers think they rule the world! :shattered:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Im liking him already. Let's sort this nonsense out. If you think it sullies the sabbath, by all means, don't partake. But don't invoke the legal force of the state to prevent me from doing to.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
I'm a Christian and I don't drink (my choice). It makes no sense to me why you would allow alcohol to be sold by the drink at a resturant on Sunday's but not allow a grocery store to sale it. Way to much government in people's lives for my taste. It would make more sense to keep people drinking at home on Sunday than at a resturant where they might drive drunk. JMO What do I know?

·
Liver Abuser
1,053 Posts
mb90535im said:
Christian groups in Georgia are vowing to fight the measure, arguing it sullies the Sabbath.

There is an Invocation before the start of every NASCAR race. Immediately followed by the National Anthem. I think we are covered. :D

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts
mb90535im said:

This is where I believe blue laws, designed to "not sully the Sabbath" should be adjudicated by the courts to be a direct violation of the 1st as they help "establish" a religion. If the SCOTUS had of done its job years ago when first faced with this challenge we wouldn't be in this situation where legislation is required to correct it.
I agree, it is a little. :screwy:

I'm a Christian, and have no problem with alcohol sales on Sunday (or any day of the week). Sunday was never the Sabbath anyway. Historically, Sunday was the first day of the week, with Saturday being the Jewish Sabbath.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
:panic:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
The State will argue in court that it has a legitimate interest in promoting sobriety, and that it could damn well ban alcohol completely if it thought that's what it would take.

The State will say it is trying to restrict freedom as little as possible while still fighting alcoholism by making everyone stay sober one day a week. (Yes, you can buy booze by the drink in restaurants, but in such places you're not supposed to be served to the point of intoxication. If you get drunk, State law and regulations say the waitress is supposed to cut you off).

I SAY BULLSHIP. The State is lying. THey want to promote those Christian denominations that look down on alcohol. The State wants EVERYBODY to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. The State wants to maximize attendance at church. The State agrees with churchgoers that God is displeased when he sees people sinning on His holy day.

IF THE STATE IS TELING THE TRUTH, and they really are only concerned with a uniform day of sobriety, I say let's make it some other day of the week. Let Sunday be a day for drinking and let Tuesday be the "stay sober" day. Let people have fun on weekends, including beer at picnics, football, wine at house parties and social gatherings.

Or let the "day of sobriety" be rotated through the days of the week every 3 years. So for 2011, 2012, and 2013 the no-booze day might be Monday. For 2014, 2015, and 2016, it will be Sober Tuesdays.

That's my 2 cents' worth anyway.

P.S. In cases like these, don't you wish we had appointed judges? Judges that didn't have to worry about the Christian right-wingers taking revenge on them next election day?

·
Registered
498 Posts
But I sell all of my moonshine on Sundays what will I do now?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
mb90535im said:

Well said, MB. The courts should have taken care of this one a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
EJR914 said:
mb90535im said:

Maybe I am misreading the amendment?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

·
Swollen Member
11,932 Posts
EJR914 said:
mb90535im said:

The reason ALWAYS given by lawmakers as to why they want to keep alcohol banned on Sunday is to reduce DUI related deaths. They aren't stupid and know any religious based reason would get struck down in court. It's always done in the name of "safety". :wink:

·
Swollen Member
11,932 Posts
mark5019 said:
good as sonny used his religion to say no
He said no such thing. It's just one (arbitrary :lol: ) day out of the week to reduce DUI related death and injury, silly. :wink:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts