Day Hike Kit

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by rjinga, Aug 7, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

While researching the Condor H2O pouch for use on my battle belt, I saw videos on Youtube where people had used the pouch as part of a hiking/survival kit. After trying it out, I decided to use a smaller canteen, and a pouch in my specific camo pattern on my belt. So, I took the pouch, along with some unused items from my battle belt build, and put this together:
    [​IMG]

It holds a 40 oz Klean Kanteen:
    [​IMG]

I put a whistle/compass/fire-steel/waterproof compartment with matches on one side:
    [​IMG]

I put a multi-tool on the other side:
    [​IMG]

And I put first-aid stuff, a space blanket, and fire starters in the front pocket (while leaving room for jerky or a protein bar):
    [​IMG]

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Is there any quick reading I could do to get more information? Waist belt, body harness, etc? This looks like it would be a decent balance for a large frame firearm in a wilderness harness.

I do a fair amount of trail running where 2-5 liters of gear+water is somewhat standard but most of the running packs/vests aren't something that would fair too well blazing through thorny brush.

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Attached Files:

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I have the Heavy Cover titanium canteen (and mess kit) along with one of their canteen pouches. However, I just ordered a Centerline Systems "Mother" canteen carrier that offers a few more pouches. We go through a bunch of these one-off purchases for the Fiddleback Outpost online store to see what we want to carry for products. We're also looking at the Klean Kanteen and carrier like the OP posted. We already have tinder (Fat Rope Stick), ferro rods, camping stoves, etc. I keep an array of stuff in my bug out bag, rifle range bag, etc. so I'm looking forward to configuring the canteen as a day-hike pack like others are showing here.

5. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded to an iPhone6+ - oversized. May as well be a small tablet. it was free, a hand-me-down (or up, actually) from my son. It has me considering an everyday murse, a man purse. Something about that size. I have a book bag/ backpack that I also use daily. Or used to when working, had an insulated cooler, six pack size with stiff liner - "for my lunches", and charging cords, notebook, pills, etc.

6. rjinga

rjinga Member

Ver. 2.0

I bought a small belt pouch (https://www.georgiapacking.org/threads/9mm-shield-fits-in-edc-belt-pouch.274152/) in green, and after experimenting with it for a while, I decided to order another one in khaki. So, I'm putting the current one on my Condor H20 pouch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This set-up can hold (going from the upper left, across, and then down): my Shield 9mm (with the 7-round mag); 40oz Kleen Kanteen; first-aid stuff, space blanket, fire starters; multi-tool, protein bar, 5-in-1 survival whistle, carabiner; cellphone, light.
    [​IMG]

7. rjinga

rjinga Member

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

9. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I normally carry collapsible Platypus water bottles in my hiking packs. Lightweight and they fold or roll up when empty. But there is a distinct advantage to a stainless steel water bottle like in the OP picture. If you are in a survival situation, and don't have a water filter or purification tablets, water can be boiled in a metal water container. :righton:

Oh, and be sure to always carry some toilet paper in any hiking pack. :mrgreen:

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Water can be boiled in a paper cup on a camp fire. No the paper cup wont burn as long as there is water in it. In fact water can be boiled in almost anything on a camp fire.

11. Nemo

But its a bit tough to boil it in one of those vacuum insulated stainless steel bottles. Getting the heat across that space is a headache. Thats why my kit includes a cheap single wall one.

Nemo

12. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

True, but Kleen Kanteens like in the OP picture aren't vacuum insulated.

13. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Drop in hot rocks. Then the insulation helps keep the heat in.

14. Nemo

Thats true. But its alot easier to carry another 3 oz. bottle rather than try to make sure the rocks you're heating don't explode on you.

Nemo

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Why not a Sawyer mini and the pouch or better yet a Smart water bottle. Then you don't need to boil and if you carry the straw with the mini you can just drink out of a puddle directly. :)

16. rjinga

rjinga Member

Ver. 2.1

I think that this is the final version. Everything, except for the most recent pouch (left side of photo), was bought for a different reason and was then re-purposed:
    [​IMG]

And, it turns out my Shield 9mm with the 7-round mag will fit in the new pouch too:
    [​IMG]

So, as far as handgun concealment goes, my Shield could be put in the new pouch, the front compartment of the H2O pouch, or either large compartment of the other side pouch. And if you want to get a little crazy, the Shield will fit in the water bottle compartment too:
    [​IMG]