Dawson County Reservoir-Atlanta Tract of The Dawson Forest

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by mountainpass, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Well I thought we had heard all we needed on this one. But up it pops again.
    Thankfully the City of Atlanta said no, they still have a dream of an airport there(I bet Big Canoe would stop that in it's tracks).

This reservoir was the reason my old Senator stepped down.
    At this point y'all are wondering why I am bringing all this up....Well the Atlanta Tract(The major part of the Dawson Forest) is the old Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory.
    This property over the years has been shut down, from time to time, because of radiation levels. I don't think this land would make suitable drinking water. Here are some more pictures.

Here are a couple of videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6N2iV2_os
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TqwJWnd6U

The Etowah Water and Sewer Authority They have some nerve with their tag line "Excellence in Every Drop".

2. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I find this very neat in a way. The video you posted I've looked for a while for but never could find any images of the actual site. I live 5 minutes from the nuclear site. As for the water I've been told that it was already being used for drinking water. this is the exact same water that ends up going under HWY 53 and as far as those rangers go its ok, I knew better but thought I'd talk to them about it anyways. Thanks for the video though, it gave me a better idea of what the facility looked like at the time of operation, I had my own ideas but i was obviously wrong.

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Given the typical nature of government bureaucracy and the fighting inherent in water issues these days, I'd say there is little chance in anything happening on that land for years to come.

4. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I completely agree. Dawson on the other hand would benefit greatly from it if it was an actual good source of water.

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

It really depends on exactly where the reservoir would be. The irradiated portion of Dawson forest is fairly small. See the middle of this Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/xewO

You can barely see the circular outline in the trees where the perimeter fence used to be. The irradiated (or, what used to be) portion is a smaller area inside this perimeter. And note that the river passes right through the middle of it.

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

7. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

yeah I've looked at the maps. I wish they had a better lay out of it though. What I was saying is if it was determined that the water was a good source given the polution and stuff that goes into it that it could really benefit Dawson. Then again they have made confusing coments on the radiation levels. If it wasn't active then they should've taken that fence down a long time ago. But some say its for safety while others still claim that its still active inside the cooling cells. I've never seen any crazy animals out there but I've heard of friends getting dizzy or nausea setting in. Cool place though I kayak that river alot.

8. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

Gonna chime in here because radiation scares people and I happen to know a thing or two about the subject of radiation. The radiation levels there are essentially the same as what I'm exposed to right now sitting in my office on the third floor of this building. The highest measured radiation in the area in the past 30 years was 90mrem/year which is practically nothing (source: http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/gaenviro ... 02_dfw.pdf ) and of that 90mr/year only about 5% of it was from man-made sources, the rest you get in your backyard just as much as you would there. I've personally received more than 90mr in a single day (day, not year) before and was within exposure limits. The average person in the U.S. receives about 300mrem/year without being exposed to any source other than nature. If you camped in that area eating off the land and drinking from the river you would receive less radiation than people who sunbath a few times a year in Florida. Water samples are even nicer too, absolutely no levels above naturally occurring detected.

Having spent 12 years in nuclear power trust me, nothing to be scared of with the radiation levels in Dawson Forest or the water passing through it.

9. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Friend of mine worked on the nuc plane project

General Dynamics, Ft Worth Tx

they used to drive a reactor around town at night and measure the radiation at different distances from it

plane was not feasible if you had enough shielding to allow you to reuse the pilot

seems they could have worked this out on paper, but I suppose the whole thing was a stimulus project

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I don't think the radiation levels are anything to worry about. The main concern with people getting into the fenced off building is the dust inside, which can be dangerous if inhaled. But, there are no real radiation hot spots left out there.

I'm not sure how a reservoir there would benefit Dawson County, other than the obvious scenic and fishing aspects.

11. Owl

Owl New Member

I dunno...if we hit another 5 year drought having a large backed up source of water might be prudent. No?

12. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

Ughhh.... since I'm relatively new to GA, I wondered what the signifigance of the land was.... until I read the last part of your post. OUCH!!!!!!!!

13. Owl

Owl New Member

Well, welcome to GA buddy! :)

PS - TacoLips, I sent you a PM bro. :)

14. mountainpass

Mayor Kasim Reed is now in talks with two groups about holding on to the land and forming a partnership to build a 2,000-acre reservoir and sell water to the rest of the region at a rate of about 100 million gallons a day.

Well this article states that Shoal Creek would be dammed. So that means anything to the south of the Etowah wouldn't be affected.

15. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

The fence hasn't been up but 20 years or so. Before that you could crawl all around there. Including on the big metal boxes encasing the radio active materials that are in the concrete building. The train tunnels were open until about 30 years ago and they became dangerous (because of the river flooding) is the reason they blocked them off. You could even go into the building were they claimed if you breathed one particle of the dust in your lungs you would probably get lung cancer and die. They sealed the building up and put the fence up to keep people like me out of there.

The screwed up deer and other animals have all been killed or died off by now. When they first opened the area up for hunting there were some really screwed up critters coming off that land. Never saw any that glowed in the dark but saw a good many strange racks and there were a good many deformed animals killed there. Within a few years the evidence had all been killed or died young. Hard to live in the wild with just 3 legs or 2 heads.

16. mountainpass

I met a man on my bike ride the other day. He was leaving his mailbox and I noticed he was open carrying a handgun. I gave him a card and we talked for a while. The reservoir came up. He retired from the state. He worked there and said that place is as hot as a firecracker. Much of the mulch spread at a local state park came from the Atlanta tract. The feds came in and cut the vegetation around certain "hot" spots and weighed it, then chipped it up.

Anyway I saw this in the local paper:
    Shoal Creek Saunter Hike

More on the Dam

17. mountainpass

http://www.dawsonnews.com/section/2/article/10043/

18. RonTheWelder

RonTheWelder New Member

That's nuts that they would build that on an old nuke and military site. They didn't necessarily follow many rules of proper disposal back then.

19. mountainpass

Well the reservoir will be to the north of the Etowah river on Shoal Creek, which is across the river from the radiated site. The problem is Shoal creek really adds a lot of flow to the Etowah, damning that up will create problems in dry times, plus I'm sure Alabama will complain.

20. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Here we go again..... They released water to save the mussels now we're restricting that will ultimately kill off two protected fish. People hired to run this stuff are idiots...